- •Recurrence-free survival after propensity score matching did not differ between mIC and DCIS (total recurrence, HR: 1.7; CI: 0.8-4.0, P = 0.19).
- •Microinvasion was not a significant independent prognostic factor after adjustment for confounding prognostic factors.
- •Non-mass lesion at breast US (P = 0.004), moderate/marked background parenchymal enhancement (P = 0.04), and high peak enhancement at MRI (P = 0.02) were more frequent in the mIC than in the DCIS group.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:BI-RADS (Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System), CI (confidence interval), DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ), HER2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2), HR (hazard ratio), mIC (microinvasive carcinoma), NME (non-mass enhancement), PSM (propensity score matching), RFS (recurrence-free survival)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 1430-1441
- The American Joint Committee on Cancer: the 7th edition of the AJCC cancer staging manual and the future of TNM.Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2010; 17: 1471-1474
- Microinvasive carcinoma of the breast.Pathol Oncol Res. 2008; 14: 105-111
- Breast Cancer (Version 1. 2021).https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/breast.pdfDate: 2021Date accessed: February 5, 2021
- Extent of microinvasion in ductal carcinoma in situ is not associated with sentinel lymph node metastases.Ann Surg Oncol. 2014; 21: 3330-3335
- Clinicopathologic characteristics and molecular subtypes of microinvasive carcinoma of the breast.Tumour Biol. 2015; 36: 2241-2248
- Biologic behavior and long-term outcomes of breast ductal carcinoma in situ with microinvasion.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 64182-64190
- The demographic features, clinicopathological characteristics and cancer-specific outcomes for patients with microinvasive breast cancer: a SEER database analysis.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 42045
- Impact of microinvasion on breast cancer mortality in women with ductal carcinoma in situ.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 167: 787-795
- Microinvasive carcinoma versus ductal carcinoma in situ: a comparison of clinicopathological features and clinical outcomes.J Breast Cancer. 2018; 21: 197-205
- Surgical outcomes for ductal carcinoma in situ: impact of preoperative MRI.Radiology. 2020; 295: 296-303
- ACR BI-RADS® Atlas, Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System.5th ed. American College of Radiology, Reston, VA2013
- Nonmass Findings at Breast US: Definition, Classifications, and Differential Diagnosis.Radiographics. 2020; 40: 326-335
- Differences in pathologic characteristics between ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), DCIS with microinvasion and DCIS with invasive ductal carcinoma.Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2020; 13: 1066-1072
- Clinical characteristics of breast ductal carcinoma in situ with microinvasion: a narrative review.J Int Med Res. 2020; 48300060520969304
- Propensity score matching: a conceptual review for radiology researchers.Korean J Radiol. 2015; 16: 286-296
- MR features to suggest microinvasive ductal carcinoma of the breast: can it be differentiated from pure DCIS?.Acta Radiol. 2013; 54: 742-748
- MRI morphological classification of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) correlating with different biological behavior.Eur J Radiol. 2012; 81: 214-217
- The role of MRI and clinicopathologic features in predicting the invasive component of biopsy-confirmed ductal carcinoma in situ.BMC Med Imaging. 2020; 20: 95
- Imaging features that distinguish pure ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) from DCIS with microinvasion.Mol Clin Oncol. 2019; 11: 313-319
- Sonographic features of ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast with microinvasion: correlation with clinicopathologic findings and biomarkers.J Ultrasound Med. 2015; 34: 1761-1768
- Clinical and imaging characteristics of breast ductal carcinoma in situ with microinvasion.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2021; 22: 293-298
- Estimating kinetic parameters from dynamic contrast-enhanced T(1)-weighted MRI of a diffusable tracer: standardized quantities and symbols.J Magn Reson Imaging. 1999; 10: 223-232
- Preoperative dynamic breast magnetic resonance imaging kinetic features using computer-aided diagnosis: association with survival outcome and tumor aggressiveness in patients with invasive breast cancer.PloS one. 2018; 13e0195756
- Biological markers in DCIS and risk of breast recurrence: a systematic review.J Cancer. 2011; 2: 232-261
- Application of deep learning to identify ductal carcinoma in situ and microinvasion of the breast using ultrasound imaging.Quant Imaging Med Surg. 2022; 12: 4633-4646