- •DSC-MRI can help to differentiate paragangliomas from meningiomas with TTP and rCBV while not aiding in differentiating between meningioma subtypes.
- •The presence of flow voids and cystic/necrotic changes can aid in differentiating the two tumor types.
- •Adding DSC-MRI to the head and neck protocol can assist in the appropriate clinical workup and treatment when conventional imaging is indeterminate for differentiation of the two tumors or DCE-MRI cannot be technically performed.
Abbreviation:DSC-MRI (Dynamic susceptibility contrast perfusion MRI), DCE-MRI (Dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI), WHO (World Health Organization), FLAIR (Fluid-attenuated inversion recovery), rCBV (Relative cerebral blood volume), rCBF (Relative cerebral blood flow), rMTT (Relative mean transit time), TTP (Time to peak), AIF (Arterial input function), ROI (Region of interest), ROC (Receiver operating characteristic curve)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Differential diagnosis of jugular foramen lesions.Skull Base. 2009; 19: 3-16https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0028-1103121
- Cerebellopontine angle masses: radiologic-pathologic correlation.Radiographics. 1993; 13: 1131-1147https://doi.org/10.1148/radiographics.13.5.8210595
- Primary jugular foramen meningioma: imaging appearance and differentiating features.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2004; 182: 373-377https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.182.2.1820373
- Jugular foramen tumors: clinical characteristics and treatment outcomes.Otol Neurotol. 2010; 31: 299-305https://doi.org/10.1097/MAO.0b013e3181be6495
- Extra-axial brain tumors.Handb Clin Neurol. 2016; 135: 275-291https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-53485-9.00015-5
- Paragangliomas of the head and neck.Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2016; 26: 259-278https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nic.2015.12.005
- Head and neck paragangliomas: value of contrast-enhanced 3D MR angiography.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008; 29: 883-889https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A0948
- 15 YEARS OF PARAGANGLIOMA: imaging and imaging-based treatment of pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2015; 22: T135-T145https://doi.org/10.1530/ERC-15-0175
- Variants of meningiomas: a review of imaging findings and clinical features.Jpn J Radiol. 2016; 34: 459-469https://doi.org/10.1007/s11604-016-0550-6
- Role of intratumoral flow void signs in the differential diagnosis of intracranial solitary fibrous tumors and meningiomas.J Neuroradiol. 2016; 43: 325-330https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neurad.2016.06.003
- MR diffusion and dynamic-contrast enhanced imaging to distinguish meningioma, paraganglioma, and schwannoma in the cerebellopontine angle and jugular foramen.J Neuroimaging. 2022; 32: 502-510https://doi.org/10.1111/jon.12959
- Perfusion magnetic resonance imaging provides additional information as compared to anatomical imaging for decision-making in vestibular schwannoma.Eur J Radiol Open. 2016; 3: 127-133https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejro.2016.05.005
- Precise discrimination between meningiomas and schwannomas using time-to-signal intensity curves and percentage signal recoveries obtained from dynamic susceptibility perfusion imaging.J Neuroradiol. 2021; 48: 157-163https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neurad.2020.09.008
- Diagnostic role of diffusion-weighted and dynamic contrast-enhanced perfusion MR imaging in paragangliomas and schwannomas in the head and neck.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2021; 42: 1839-1846https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A7266
- Diffusion-weighted and dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI to assess radiation therapy response for head and neck paragangliomas.J Neuroimaging. 2021; 31: 1035-1043https://doi.org/10.1111/jon.12875
- Neurofibromatosis type 2 versus sporadic vestibular schwannoma: the utility of MR diffusion and dynamic contrast-enhanced imaging.J Neuroimaging. 2022; 32: 554-560https://doi.org/10.1111/jon.12966
- American Society of Functional Neuroradiology MR perfusion standards and practice subcommittee of the ASFNR clinical practice committee. ASFNR recommendations for clinical performance of MR dynamic susceptibility contrast perfusion imaging of the brain.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2015; 36: E41-E51https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A4341
- Automatic selection of arterial input function using cluster analysis.Magn Reson Med. 2006; 55: 524-531https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.20759
- Assessment of MR imaging and CT in differentiating hereditary and nonhereditary paragangliomas.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2021; 42: 1320-1326https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A7166
- Head and neck paragangliomas: clinical and molecular genetic classification.Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2012; 67 (Suppl 1): 19-28https://doi.org/10.6061/clinics/2012(sup01)05
- Contribution of perfusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in the differentiation of meningiomas and other extra-axial tumors: case reports and literature review.J Neurooncol. 2011; 103: 777-783https://doi.org/10.1007/s11060-010-0445-9
- Meningioma-related dural arteriovenous fistula fed via a vascular tumor bed: a case report and literature review.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2012; 114: 1010-1013https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2012.01.017
- Perfusion MR imaging for differentiation of benign and malignant meningiomas.Neuroradiology. 2008; 50: 525-530https://doi.org/10.1007/s00234-008-0373-y
- Dynamic contrast-enhanced perfusion MR imaging measurements of endothelial permeability: differentiation between atypical and typical meningiomas.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2003; 24: 1554-1559
- Validated imaging biomarkers as decision-making tools in clinical trials and routine practice: current status and recommendations from the EIBALL* subcommittee of the European Society of Radiology (ESR).Insights Imaging. 2019; 10: 87https://doi.org/10.1186/s13244-019-0764-0