- •Hydrogel plugs used after lung biopsies will likely be encountered more frequently.
- •It is important to know the imaging and histological appearance of hydrogel plugs.
- •On imaging, hydrogel plugs are described as linear, serpiginous or lobular.
- •On histology, hydrogel plugs are described as foamy or mesh-like.
- •Hydrogel plugs did not affect tumor staging.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Screening for lung cancer: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.JAMA. 2021; 325: 962-970https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2021.1117
- The changing face of percutaneous image-guided biopsy: molecular profiling and genomic analysis in current practice.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2013; 24: 1094-1103https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvir.2013.04.027
- Costs of diagnostic assessment for lung cancer: a medicare claims analysis.Clin Lung Cancer. 2017; 18: e27-e34https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cllc.2016.07.006
- Autologous blood patch injection versus hydrogel plug in CT-guided lung biopsy: a prospective randomized trial.Radiology. 2018; 290: 547-554https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2018181140
- Efficacy of a self-expanding tract sealant device in the reduction of pneumothorax and chest tube placement rates after percutaneous lung biopsy: a matched controlled study using propensity score analysis.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2017; 40: 270-276https://doi.org/10.1007/s00270-016-1489-9
- Pulmonary pathologic alterations associated with biopsy inserted hydrogel plugs.Hum Pathol. 2019; 89: 40-43https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2019.04.011
- Impact of histopathologic changes induced by polyethylene glycol hydrogel pleural sealants used during transthoracic biopsy on lung cancer resection specimen staging.Am J Surg Pathol. 2020; 44 (https://journals.lww.com/ajsp/Fulltext/2020/04000/Impact_of_Histopathologic_Changes_Induced_by.6.aspx)https://journals.lww.com/ajsp/Fulltext/2020/04000/Impact_of_Histopathologic_Changes_Induced_by.6.aspx
- Implications for high-precision dose radiation therapy planning or limited surgical resection after percutaneous computed tomography-guided lung nodule biopsy using a tract sealant.Adv Radiat Oncol. 2018; 3: 139-145https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adro.2017.12.005