- •Serial CT variables such as change in extent of fibrosis and pulmonary artery size are predictive of negative outcomes.
- •A novel variable, the right lower lobe anterior bronchial angle, was described. Change predicts negative outcomes.
- •In addition to clinical, pulmonary function test, and single CT variables, serial CT variables predict CTD-ILD progression.
Abbreviations:CNO (Composite negative outcomes), CT (computed tomography), CTD (connective tissue disease), CTD-ILD (connective tissue disease-related interstitial lung disease), DLCO (diffusing capacity for carbon monoxide), HRCT (high resolution computed tomography), IPF (idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis), ILD (interstitial lung disease), NSIP (nonspecific interstitial pneumonia), OP (organizing pneumonia), PF-ILD (progressive fibrosing interstitial lung disease), PA (pulmonary artery), PFT (pulmonary function test), RLL ABA (right lower lobe anterior bronchial angle), UIP (usual interstitial pneumonia)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The natural history of progressive fibrosing interstitial lung diseases.Respir Res. 2019; 20: 57
- Pirfenidone in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (CAPACITY): two randomised trials.Lancet. 2011; 377: 1760-1769
- Efficacy and safety of nintedanib in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 2071-2082
- A phase 3 trial of pirfenidone in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 2083-2092
- Exploring efficacy and safety of oral pirfenidone for progressive, non-IPF lung fibrosis (RELIEF) - a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group, multi-center, phase II trial.BMC Pulm Med. 2017; 17: 122
- Nintedanib in progressive fibrosing interstitial lung diseases.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1718-1727
- Understanding progressive fibrosing interstitial lung disease through therapeutic trials.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1775-1777
- Mortality risk prediction in scleroderma-related interstitial lung disease: the SADL model.Chest. 2017; 152: 999-1007
- Ascertainment of individual risk of mortality for patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011; 184: 459-466
- A multidimensional index and staging system for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156: 684-691
- Evaluation of computer-based computer tomography stratification against outcome models in connective tissue disease-related interstitial lung disease: a patient outcome study.BMC Med. 2016; 14: 190
- Connective tissue disease related fibrotic lung disease: high resolution computed tomographic and pulmonary function indices as prognostic determinants.Thorax. 2014; 69: 216-222
- Pulmonary function tests and CT scan in the management of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998; 158: 431-436
- Prognostic implications of physiologic and radiographic changes in idiopathic interstitial pneumonia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003; 168: 543-548
- An official American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement: update of the international multidisciplinary classification of the idiopathic interstitial pneumonias.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 188: 733-748
- JOURNAL CLUB: evidence of interstitial lung disease on low-dose chest CT images: prevalence, patterns, and progression.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016; 206: 487-494
- Natural history and screening of interstitial lung disease in systemic autoimmune rheumatic disorders.Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2021; 131759720X211037519
- Short-term pulmonary function trends are predictive of mortality in interstitial lung disease associated with systemic sclerosis.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017; 69: 1670-1678
- Automated quantification of radiological patterns predicts survival in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Eur Respir J. 2014; 43: 204-212
- Mean pulmonary arterial pressure as a prognostic indicator in connective tissue disease associated with interstitial lung disease: a retrospective cohort study.BMC Pulm Med. 2016; 16: 55
- Relationship of main pulmonary artery diameter to pulmonary arterial pressure in scleroderma patients with and without interstitial fibrosis.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2014; 38: 163-168
- CT-determined pulmonary artery to aorta ratio as a predictor of elevated pulmonary artery pressure and survival in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Respirology. 2017; 22: 1393-1399
- Pulmonary artery dimensions as a prognosticator of transplant-free survival in scleroderma interstitial lung disease.Lung. 2017; 195: 403-409
- The right upper lobe bronchus angle: a tool for differentiating fibrotic and non-fibrotic sarcoidosis.Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2020; 37: 99-103
- Connective tissue disease-related interstitial lung disease (CTD-ILD) and interstitial lung abnormality (ILA): evolving concept of CT findings, pathology and management.Eur J Radiol Open. 2021; 8100311
- Diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. An official ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT clinical practice guideline.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2018; 198: e44-e68