- •Mirizzi syndrome refers to hepatobiliary dysfunction due to a gallstone causing extrinsic compression on the common duct.
- •Acute cholecystitis can externally obstruct the common duct, similar to Mirizzi syndrome, but without an offending gallstone.
- •We present 10 cases of acute cholecystitis causing this phenomenon with MRCP images of a representative case.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Mirizzi Syndrome.(Published October 30) Nih.gov, 2019
- The mirizzi syndrome.Postgrad Med J. 1997; 73: 487-490https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.73.862.487
- Updates in mirizzi syndrome.Hepatobiliary Surg. Nutr. 2017; 6: 170-178https://doi.org/10.21037/hbsn.2016.11.01
- MR cholangiopancreatography at 3.0 T.Radiographics. 2009; 29: 1689-1706https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.296095505
- Adult bile duct strictures: role of MR imaging and MR cholangiopancreatography in characterization.Radiographics. 2014; 34: 565-586https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.343125211
- Mirizzi syndrome: recognition on magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography.Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2012; 10: A32https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2012.08.007
- Diagnosis and treatment of mirizzi syndrome: 23-year Mayo Clinic experience.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 213: 114-119https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2011.03.008
- Current trends in the management of mirizzi syndrome.Medicine. 2018; 97e9691https://doi.org/10.1097/md.0000000000009691
- The relationship of mirizzi syndrome and cholecystoenteric fistula: validation of a modified classification.World J Surg. 2008; 32: 2237-2243https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-008-9660-3
- Acute acalculous cholecystitis of an intrahepatic gallbladder causing Mirizzi’s syndrome.BMJ Case Reports. 2018; (Published online April 13)bcr-2018-224365https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2018-224365
- A case of obstructive jaundice without biliary stones in a low resource setting.Clin Case Rep. 2021; 9https://doi.org/10.1002/ccr3.4163
- Acute acalculous cholecystitis complicated by MRCP-confirmed mirizzi syndrome: a case report.Int J Surg Case Rep. 2012; 3: 193-195https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijscr.2011.11.006
- Acute acalculous cholecystitis determining Mirizzi syndrome: case report and literature review.BMC Surg. 2014; 14https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2482-14-90
- Acute acalculous cholecystitis associated with common hepatic duct obstruction: a variant of Mirizzi’s syndrome.Conn Med. 1993; 57 (Accessed September 8, 2022): 451-455
- Acute Acalculous Cholecystitis Simulating Mirizzi Syndrome: A Very Rare Condition.(Accessed September 8)2022https://sma.org/southern-medical-journal/article/acute-acalculous-cholecystitis-simulating-mirizzi-syndrome-a-very-rare-condition/
- Complications of gallstone disease: mirizzi syndrome, cholecystocholedochal fistula, and gallstone ileus.Am J Gastroenterol. 2002; 97: 249-254https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2002.05451.x
- Possible biliary disease: diagnostic performance of high-spatial-resolution isotropic 3D T2-weighted MRCP.Radiology. 2008 Dec; 249: 883-890https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2493080389