- •Pectus excavatum is a common morphologic abnormality of the chest wall.
- •Mammographic positioning of women with pectus excavatum can be challenging.
- •Women with pectus excavatum often fail positioning standards, requiring extra views.
- •Breast cancer detection in pectus excavatum is difficult due to position challenges.
Materials & methods
Abbreviation:PEx (Pectus excavatum)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pectus excavatum and carinatum.Eur J Med Genet. 2014; 57: 414-417https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmg.2014.04.017
- Anatomical, histologic, and genetic characteristics of congenital chest wall deformities.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 21: 44-57https://doi.org/10.1053/j.semtcvs.2009.03.001
- Pectus excavatum: history, hypotheses and treatment options.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2012; 14: 801-806https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivs045
- Preoperative multimodality imaging of pectus excavatum: state of the art review and call for standardization.Eur J Radiol. 2019; 117: 140-148https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2019.06.014
- EQUIP: enhancing quality using the inspection program.(Accessed March 24, 2021, at)https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/mqsa-insights/equip-enhancing-quality-using-inspection-program
- Positioning challenges in mammography.Radiol Technol. 2014; 85 (pp. 417–39M; quiz 440–3M PMID: 24614444)
- Variability in mammography quality assessment after implementation of enhancing quality using the inspection program (EQUIP).JBreast Imaging. 2021; 3: 168-175https://doi.org/10.1093/jbi/wbaa117
- Breast positioning during mammography: mistakes to be avoided.Breast Cancer. 2014; 8 (Auckl): 119-124https://doi.org/10.4137/BCBCR.S17617
- Visualization of the nipple in profile: does it really affect selected outcomes in organized mammographic screening?.JBreast Imaging. 2021; 3: 427-437https://doi.org/10.1093/jbi/wbab042
- Is breast asymmetry caused by volume differences in women with pectus excavatum?.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2016; 69: 470-474https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjps.2015.12.003
- Oblique lateral incision and subpectoral dissection in modified Nuss procedure minimize future breast deformity.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2015; 68: 692-697https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjps.2014.12.016
- Clinical experience of Nuss procedure for pectus excavatum in adult female patients.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008; 56: 283-286https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2008-1038631
- The potential use of intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) in women with pectus excavatum desiring breast-conserving therapy.Breast J. 2001; 7: 233-239https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1524-4741.2001.20036.x
- Breast radiotherapy in women with pectus excavatum (funnel chest): is the lateral decubitus technique an answer? A dosimetric study.Br J Radiol. 2006; 79 (Oct): 785-790https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/23839243