- •USMLE Step 1 scores have been used to screen for Diagnostic Radiology and Interventional Radiology residency interviews and are now pass/fail.
- •There is question whether USMLE Step 1 or Step 2 CK scores accurately predict a resident’s ability to perform clinically in their specialty.
- •The added emphasis on other metrics may negate the positive impacts of changing Step 1 to pass/fail.
Rationale and objectives
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:AAPD (Assistant Program Director), APD (Associate Program Director), APDR (Association of Program Directors in Radiology), DR (Diagnostic Radiology), IR (Interventional Radiology), NBME (National Board of Medical Examiners), NRMP (National Residency Matching Program), PD (Program Director), USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Results of the 2018 NRPM Program Director Survey National Resident Matching Program, Data Release and Research Committee: Results of the 2018 NRMP Program Director Survey. National Resident Matching Program, Washington, DC2018: 2018
- A plea to reassess the role of United States medical licensing examination step 1 scores in residency selection.Acad Med. Jan 2016; 91: 12-15https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000000855
- Preparing to take the USMLE step 1: a survey on medical students' self-reported study habits.Postgrad Med J. May 2015; 91: 257-261https://doi.org/10.1136/postgradmedj-2014-133081
- Designated step 1 study period by institution.
- Step 1 transition to pass/fail only score reporting.
- Predictors for failing the American Board of Radiology Core Examination.AJR Am J Roentgenol. Sep 2019; 213: 485-489https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.18.21007
- Relationship between OSCE scores and other typical medical school performance indicators: a 5-year cohort study.Mil Med. Sep 2012; 177: 44-46https://doi.org/10.7205/milmed-d-12-00237
- Ranking practice variability in the medical student performance evaluation: so bad, It's "Good".Acad Med. Nov 2016; 91: 1540-1545https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000001180
- US medical student perspectives on the impact of a pass/fail USMLE step 1.J Surg Educ. Sep 30 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2021.09.010
- Medical student attitudes toward USMLE step 1 and health systems science - a multi-institutional survey.Teach Learn Med. 2021; 33 (Apr-May 2021): 139-153https://doi.org/10.1080/10401334.2020.1825962
- Pass/fail USMLE step 1 scoring-a radiology program director survey.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28 (11): 1622-1625https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2020.08.010