- •Component dislocation is usually diagnosed on radiographs, but CT and MRI can identify risk factors for dislocation.
- •Component motion on serial radiographs is a definitive sign of loosening, while MRI can also assess for component loosening.
- •Lamellated appearance of the synovium is suggestive of prosthetic joint infection on MRI.
- •Tendon and neurovascular injuries are additional complications after total hip arthroplasty that can be assessed on imaging.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Imaging of total hip arthroplasty: part I – implant design, imaging techniques, and imaging of component wear and fracture.Clin Imaging. 2022; (In press)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2022.09.011
- Reasons for revision hip surgery: a retrospective review.Clin Orthop. 2004; 429: 188-192https://doi.org/10.1097/01.blo.0000150126.73024.42
- Total hip arthroplasty: imaging evaluation.J South Orthop Assoc. 1998; 7: 95-108
- Dislocations after total hip arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1982; 64: 1295-1306
- Dislocation after total hip arthroplasty: implant design and orientation.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2003; 11: 89-99https://doi.org/10.5435/00124635-200303000-00003
- Measuring acetabular component version after THA: CT or plain radiograph?.Clin Orthop. 2012; 470: 2810-2818https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-012-2292-9
- The effect of acetabular and femoral component version on dislocation in primary total hip arthroplasty.Int Orthop. 2016; 40: 697-702https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-015-2924-2
- Revision hip arthroplasty for late instability secondary to polyethylene wear.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006; 447: 66-69https://doi.org/10.1097/01.blo.0000218751.14989.a6
- Imaging evaluation of polyethylene liner dissociation in total hip arthroplasty.Skeletal Radiol. 2019; 48: 1933-1939https://doi.org/10.1007/s00256-019-03232-x
- Advanced MRI techniques for the hip joint: focus on the postoperative hip.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017; 209: 534-543https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.16.17789
- CT of the hip prosthesis: appearance of components, fixation, and complications.Radiogr Rev Publ Radiol Soc N Am Inc. 2012; 32: 1089-1107https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.324115183
- What is the diagnostic accuracy of MRI for component loosening in THA?.Clin Orthop. 2019; 477: 2085-2094https://doi.org/10.1097/CORR.0000000000000772
- Imaging of hip arthroplasty.Eur J Radiol. 2012; 81: 3802-3812https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2011.03.103
- Painful infection at the site of hip prosthesis: CT imaging.Radiology. 2002; 224: 477-483https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2242010989
- Limited effectiveness of sonography in revealing hip joint effusion: preliminary results in 21 adult patients with native and postoperative hips.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2003; 181: 215-218https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.181.1.1810215
- MR imaging of hip arthroplasty implants.Radiographics. 2014; 34: E106-E132https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.344140010
- Diagnosis of periprosthetic hip joint infection using MRI with metal artifact reduction at 1.5 T.Radiology. 2020; 296: 98-108https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2020191901
- Lamellated hyperintense synovitis: potential MR imaging sign of an infected knee arthroplasty.Radiology. 2013; 266: 256-260https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.12120042
- Diagnostic value of MRI lamellated hyperintense synovitis in periprosthetic infection of hip.Orthop Surg. 2020; 12: 1941-1946https://doi.org/10.1111/os.12789
- The 2018 definition of periprosthetic hip and knee infection: an evidence-based and validated criteria.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 1309-1314.e2https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2018.02.078
- Sonography of greater trochanteric pain syndrome and the rarity of primary bursitis.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2013; 201: 1083-1086https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.12.10038
- Tendon disorders after Total hip arthroplasty: evaluation and management.J Arthroplasty. 2017; 32: 3249-3255https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2017.04.015
- Review: posterior soft tissue repair in primary total hip arthroplasty.HSS J Musculoskelet J Hosp Spec Surg. 2006; 2: 7-11https://doi.org/10.1007/s11420-005-0134-y
- Anterior iliopsoas impingement and tendinitis after total hip arthroplasty.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009; 17: 337-344https://doi.org/10.5435/00124635-200906000-00002
- Diagnostic and therapeutic use of sonography-guided iliopsoas peritendinous injections.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005; 185: 940-943https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.04.1207
- Iliopsoas impingement on the acetabular component: radiologic and computed tomography findings of a rare hip prosthesis complication in eight cases.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2003; 27: 183-188https://doi.org/10.1097/00004728-200303000-00014
- Neurovascular injury in hip arthroplasty.Hip Pelvis. 2014; 26: 74https://doi.org/10.5371/hp.2014.26.2.74
- Direct anterior versus posterior approach for total hip arthroplasty: a multicentre, prospective, randomized clinical trial.Can J Surg. 2020; 63: E412-E417https://doi.org/10.1503/cjs.012019
- Nerve palsy associated with total hip replacement. Risk factors and prognosis.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1991; 73: 1074-1080
- Incidence, injury mechanisms, and recovery of iatrogenic nerve injuries during hip and knee arthroplasty.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021; 29: e940-e949https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-D-21-00122
- Ultrasound-guided subgluteal sciatic nerve perineural injection: report on safety and efficacy at a single institution.J Ultrasound Med Off J Am Inst Ultrasound Med. 2017; 36: 2319-2324https://doi.org/10.1002/jum.14271
- Topographic variations of the relationship of the sciatic nerve and the piriformis muscle and its relevance to palsy after total hip arthroplasty.Surg Radiol Anat SRA. 2006; 28: 88-91https://doi.org/10.1007/s00276-005-0056-x
- Enhanced MR neurography of the lumbosacral plexus with robust vascular suppression and improved delineation of its small branches.Eur J Radiol. 2020; 129109128https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2020.109128
- SHINKEI–a novel 3D isotropic MR neurography technique: technical advantages over 3DIRTSE-based imaging.Eur Radiol. 2015; 25: 1672-1677https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-014-3552-8
☆Disclosure: None to disclose.