- •Omitting prostate biopsy after a negative multiparametric MRI is controversial, since significant cancer may be missed.
- •Only 10% of our patients with a negative MRI and without known prostate cancer were later diagnosed with significant disease.
- •Patients developing significant disease had higher PSA velocity, suggesting PSA monitoring may be an alternative to biopsy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cancer statistics, 2021.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 7-33
- Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, part II: recent changes in prostate cancer trends and disease characteristics.Cancer. 2018; 124: 2801-2814
- Prostate imaging reporting and data system version 2.1: 2019 update of prostate imaging reporting and data system version 2.Eur Urol. 2019; 76: 340-351
- What is the negative predictive value of multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging in excluding prostate cancer at biopsy? A systematic review and meta-analysis from the European Association of Urology Prostate Cancer Guidelines Panel.Eur Urol. 2017; 72: 250-266
- Complications after systematic, random, and image-guided prostate biopsy.Eur Urol. 2017; 71: 353-365
- Ruling out clinically significant prostate cancer with negative multi-parametric MRI.Int Urol Nephrol. 2018; 50: 7-12
- What type of prostate cancer is systematically overlooked by multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging? An analysis from the PROMIS cohort.Eur Urol. 2020; 78: 163-170
- Use of prostate systematic and targeted biopsy on the basis of multiparametric MRI in biopsy-naive patients (MRI-FIRST): a prospective, multicentre, paired diagnostic study.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 100-109
- Prostate MRI, with or without MRI-targeted biopsy, and systematic biopsy for detecting prostate cancer.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 4 (p. CD012663)
- Diagnostic accuracy of multi-parametric MRI and TRUS biopsy in prostate cancer (PROMIS): a paired validating confirmatory study.Lancet. 2017; 389: 815-822
- Prostate cancer: ESMO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2020; 31: 1119-1134
- NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines) Prostate Cancer Version 2.2021.2021
- Clinical utility of negative multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of prostate cancer and clinically significant prostate cancer.Eur Urol Open Sci. 2021; 28: 9-16
- Avoiding unnecessary magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and biopsies: negative and positive predictive value of MRI according to prostate-specific antigen density, 4Kscore and risk calculators.Eur Urol Oncol. 2020; 3: 700-704
- Analysis of risk factors for determining the need for prostate biopsy in patients with negative MRI.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 6048
- Negative multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging for prostate cancer: what's Next?.Eur Urol. 2018; 74: 48-54
- Multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging and follow-up to avoid prostate biopsy in 4259 men.BJU Int. 2019; 124: 775-784
- PI-RADS version 2.1: one small step for prostate MRI.Clin Radiol. 2019; 74: 841-852
- Determination of prostate volume: a comparison of contemporary methods.Acad Radiol. 2018; 25: 1582-1587
- Negative predictive value of multiparametric MRI for prostate cancer detection: outcome of 5-year follow-up in men with negative findings on initial MRI studies.Eur J Radiol. 2014; 83: 1740-1745
- Negative prebiopsy magnetic resonance imaging and risk of significant prostate cancer: baseline and long-term followup results.J Urol. 2021; 205: 725-731
- Determination of the role of negative magnetic resonance imaging of the prostate in clinical practice: is biopsy still necessary?.Urology. 2017; 102: 190-197
- Quality comparison of 3 tesla multiparametric MRI of the prostate using a flexible surface receiver coil versus conventional surface coil plus endorectal coil setup.Abdominal Radiol. 2020; 45: 4260-4270
- Comparison of endorectal coil and nonendorectal coil T2W and diffusion-weighted MRI at 3 tesla for localizing prostate cancer: correlation with whole-mount histopathology.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2014; 39: 1443-1448
- Prostate cancer: comparison of local staging accuracy of pelvic phased-array coil alone versus integrated endorectal-pelvic phased-array coils. Local staging accuracy of prostate cancer using endorectal coil MR imaging.Eur Radiol. 2007; 17: 1055-1065
- MRI of the prostate with and without endorectal coil at 3 T: correlation with whole-mount histopathologic Gleason score.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2020; 215: 133-141