- •Risk factors for ipsilateral recurrence after treatment for ductal carcinoma in situ are young age and dense breast tissue.
- •Endocrine therapy for five or more years reduces ipsilateral recurrence risk after treatment for ductal carcinoma in situ.
- •Traditional regression outperformed machine learning for predicting ipsilateral breast cancer recurrence.
Abbreviations:aOR (adjusted odds ratio), AUC (area under the receiver operating characteristic curve), BCS (breast-conserving surgery), CI (confidence interval), DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ), IBE (ipsilateral breast event), ML (machine learning)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Ductal carcinoma in situ: current concepts in biology, imaging, and treatment.J Breast Imaging. 2019; 1: 166-176
- Cancer facts and figures 2021.https://www.cancer.org/content/dam/cancer-org/research/cancer-facts-and-statistics/annual-cancer-facts-and-figures/2021/cancer-facts-and-figures-2021.pdfDate: 2021Date accessed: February 20, 2022
- Breast cancer, version 3.2020, NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2020; 18: 452-478
- Management of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) of the breast: present approaches and future directions.Curr Oncol Rep. 2019; 21: 33
- Choosing treatment for patients with ductal carcinoma in situ: fine tuning the University of Southern California/Van Nuys Prognostic Index.J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2010; 2010: 193-196
- Nomogram for predicting the risk of local recurrence after breast-conserving surgery for ductal carcinoma in situ.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 3762-3769
- Artificial intelligence: a primer for breast imaging radiologists.J Breast Imaging. 2020; 2: 304-314
- Contralateral breast cancer after curative-intent treatment for ductal carcinoma in situ: rate and associated clinicopathologial and imaging risk factors.Clin Imaging. 2022; 82: 179-192
- Do eligibility criteria for ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) active surveillance trials identify patients at low risk for upgrade to invasive carcinoma?.Ann Surg Oncol. 2020; 27: 4459-4465
- Ductal carcinoma in situ on digital mammography versus digital breast tomosynthesis: rates and predictors of pathologic upgrade.Eur Radiol. 2020; 30: 6089-6098
- Pre-operative MRI in patients with ductal carcinoma in situ: is MRI useful for identifying additional disease?.Eur J Radiol. 2020; 129109130
- Predictors of reexcision following breast-conserving surgery for ductal carcinoma in situ.Ann Surg Oncol. 2021; 28: 1390-1397
- Noncalcified ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS): rate and predictors of upgrade to invasive carcinoma.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: e71-e76
- Symptomatic ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS): upstaging risk and predictors.Clin Imaging. 2021; 73: 101-107
- Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) at breast MRI: predictors of upgrade to invasive carcinoma.Acad Radiol. 2020; 27: 1394-1399
- Time-varying risks of second events following a DCIS diagnosis in the population-based Vermont DCIS cohort.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019; 174: 227-235
- Decreasing recurrence rates for ductal carcinoma in situ: analysis of 2996 women treated with breast-conserving surgery over 30 years.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: 3273-3281
- Long term follow-up of women with ductal carcinoma in situ treated with breast-conserving surgery: the effect of age.Cancer. 1999; 86: 1757-1767
- Impact of young age on outcome in patients with ductal carcinoma-in-situ treated with breast-conserving therapy.J Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 296-306
- Mammographic density and breast cancer after ductal carcinoma in situ.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004; 96: 1467-1472
- Mammographic density and risk of second breast cancer after ductal carcinoma in situ.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010; 19: 2488-2495
- Effect of radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery for ductal carcinoma in situ: 20 years follow-up in the randomized SweDCIS Trial.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 3613-3618
- Impact of age on risk of recurrence of ductal carcinoma in situ: outcomes of 2996 women treated with breast-conserving surgery over 30 years.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 2816-2824
- Breast cancer screening in women at higher-than-average risk: recommendations from the ACR.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 408-414
- Effect of tamoxifen and radiotherapy in women with locally excised ductal carcinoma in situ: long-term results from the UK/ANZ DCIS trial.Lancet Oncol. 2011; 12: 21-29
- Tamoxifen in treatment of intraductal breast cancer: National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project B-24 randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 1999; 353: 1993-2000
- Long-term outcomes of invasive ipsilateral breast tumor recurrences after lumpectomy in NSABP B-17 and B-24 randomized clinical trials for DCIS.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103: 478-488
- Receiver operating characteristic curve in diagnostic test assessment.J Thorac Oncol. 2010; 5: 1315-1316
- A systematic review shows no performance benefit of machine learning over logistic regression for clinical prediction models.J Clin Epidemiol. 2019; 110: 12-22
- Logistic regression has similar performance to optimised machine learning algorithms in a clinical setting: application to the discrimination between type 1 and type 2 diabetes in young adults.Diagn Progn Res. 2020; 4: 6
- How to read articles that use machine learning: users' guides to the medical literature.JAMA. 2019; 322: 1806-1816
☆Meeting presentation: Poster presentation at the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Annual Meeting, November–December 2020.