- •The use of Gadolinium contrast in an MRI exam is often of critical importance for determining accurate anatomic relationships, differentiation of benign from malignant lesions, or determination of resolving vs. worsening disease.
- •Though the risk of contrast administration can never be entirely ignored, especially in patients with low eGFR, safe administration of Gadoterate meglumine can be performed even in patients with severe kidney disease.
- •No significant eGFR decrease was observed in patients who received Gadoterate meglumine compared to those who did not receive Gadoterate contrast material. There is no relationship between comorbidity, severity, and contrast selection.
- •The benefits are clear and of significant impact in numerous clinical situations where safe contrast-MRI protocols in this severe kidney disease population can be established especially in situations where contrast administration is crucial in patient diagnosis and management.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis: a serious late adverse reaction to gadodiamide.Eur Radiol. 2006; 16: 2619-2621
- Safety of gadolinium contrast angiography in patients with chronic renal insufficiency.J Vasc Surg. 2003; 38: 313-318
- Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis: suspected etiological role of gadodiamide used for contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006; 17: 2359-2362
- Current status of gadolinium toxicity in patients with kidney disease.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 4: 461-469
- Prevalence of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis in renal insufficiency patients: results of the FINEST study.Eur Journal Radiol. 2010; 73: 357-359
- ACR Manual on Contrast Media, Version 9.2013
- Preclinical investigation to compare different gadolinium-based contrast agents regarding their propensity to release gadolinium in vivo and to trigger nephrogenic systemic fibrosis-like lesions.Eur Radiol. 2008; 18: 2164-2173
ACR manual on contrast media 2020 by the ACR Committee on drugs and contrast media.
- 10 years of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. A comprehensive analysis of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis reports received by a pharmaceutical company from 2006 to 2016.Invest Radiol. 2018; 53: 541-550
- Bloomington, IN: Guerbet LLC.2013
- Efficiency, thermodynamic and kinetic stability of marketed gadolinium chelates and their possible clinical consequences: a critical review.Biometals. 2008; 21: 469-490
- Comparative study of the physicochemical properties of six clinical low molecular weight gadolinium contrast agents.Contrast Media Mol Imaging. 2006; 1: 128-137
- Safety of meglumine gadoterate (Gd-DOTA)-enhanced MRI compared to unenhanced MRI in patients with chronic kidney disease (RESCUE study).Eur Radiol. 2013; 23: 1250-1259
- Tolerability and diagnostic value of gadoterate acid in the general population and in patients with risk factors; results in more than 84,000 patients.Eur Radiol. 2012; 81: 885-890
- Clinical safety and diagnostic value of the gadolinium chelate gadoterate meglumine (Gd-DOTA).Invest Radiol. 2007; 42: 58-62
http://www.guerbet-us.com/products/contrast-media/dotaremr-gadoterate-meglumine-injection.html (Accessed on March 30, 2020).
- Incidence of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis in patients undergoing dialysis after contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging with gadolinium-based contrast agents. The prospective fibrose nephrogenique systemique study.InvestRadiology. 2014; 49: 109-115
- Observational study on the incidence of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis in patients with renal impairment following gadoterate meglumine administration: the NSsaFe study.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2020 Feb; 51: 607-614
- Estimating glomerular filtration rate: cockcroft-gault and modification of diet in renal disease formulas compared to renal inulin clearance.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 4: 899-906
- Gadolinium-contrast toxicity in patients with kidney disease: nephrotoxicity and nephrogenic systemic fibrosis.Curr Drug Saf. 2008; 3: 67-75
- Risk of acute kidney injury after exposure to gadolinium-based contrast in patients with renal impairment.Ren Fail. 2011; 33: 758-764
- Contrast media safety Committee of the European Society of urogenital radiology (ESUR). Gadolinium-containing contrast media for radiographic examinations: a position paper.Eur Radiol. 2002; 12: 2600-2605
- Rapid deterioration of renal insufficiency after magnetic resonance imaging with gadolinium-based contrast agent.Clin Nephrol. 2011; 75: 251-254
- Are gadolinium-based contrast media nephrotoxic? A renal biopsy study.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2006; 130: 1354-1357
- Gadobutrol in renally impaired patients results of the GRIP study.Invest Radiol. 2017; 52: 55-60
- Absence of potential gadolinium toxicity symptoms following 22,897 gadoteric acid (Dotarem®) examinations, including 3,209 performed on renally insufficient individuals.Eur Radiol. 2019; 29: 1922-1930
- Gadodiamide-associated nephrogenic systemic fibrosis: why radiologists should be concerned.AJR. 2007; 188: 586-592
- Biochemical safety profiles of gadolinium-based extracellular contrast agents and nephrogenic systemic fibrosis.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2007; 26: 1190-1197
- Advancing pharmacovigilance through academic-legal collaboration: the case of gadolinium-based contrast agents and nephrogenic systemic fibrosis-a research on adverse drug events and reports (RADAR) report.Br. J. Radiol. 2014; 87: 20140307
- EMA's final opinion confirms restrictions on the use of linear gadolinium agents in body scans.https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/press-release/emas-final-opinion-confirms-restrictions-use-linear-gadolinium-agents-body-scans_en.pdf(Accessed on March 13, 2020)Date: 2017
- Correction: nephrogenic systemic fibrosis in Denmark – a nationwide investigation.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9e100407
- Progressive Increase of T1 Signal intensity of the dentate nucleus on unenhanced magnetic resonance images is associated with cumulative doses of intravenously administered gadodiamide in patients with normal renal function, suggesting dechelation.Investig Radiol. 2014; 49: 685-690
- High signal intensity in the dentate nucleus and globus pallidus on unenhanced T1-weighted MR images: relationship with increasing cumulative dose of a gadolinium-based contrast material.Radiology. 2014; 270: 831-841
- Intracranial gadolinium deposition after contrast-enhanced MR imaging.Radiology. 2015; 275: 772-782
https://radiology.duke.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Duke-Radiology-Contrast-Media-Guidelines-Final-10.13.16.pdf (Accessed on March 30, 2020).
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2018/204781s008lbl.pdf (Accessed on March 30, 2020).