- •Acute inflammatory and structural changes of the SI joint may readily be available on MRE.
- •MRE may alert physicians to the presence of previously undiagnosed axial spondyloarthritis.
- •MRE reveals important radiologic data on the presence of sacroiliitis.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:MRE (magnetic resonance enterography;), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), SI joint (sacroiliac joint), SI joint MRI (magnetic resonance imaging of the sacroiliac joint), axSpA (axial spondyloarthritis), IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), BME (bone marrow edema), ASAS (Assessment of Spondyloarthritis International Society), HASTE (half-Fourier axial single-shot fast spin-echo), TRUFI (true fast imaging with steady-state precession images), STIR (short tau inversion recovery sequences)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Ankylosing spondylitis and axial spondyloarthritis.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 2563-2574
- Incidence rate of anemia in inflammatory bowel diseases.Turk J Gastroenterol. 2016; 27: 143-148
- The development of assessment of SpondyloArthritis international society classification criteria for axial spondyloarthritis (part II): validation and final selection.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 777-783
- MRI lesions in the sacroiliac joints of patients with spondyloarthritis: an update of definitions and validation by the ASAS MRI working group.Ann Rheum Dis. 2019; 78: 1550-1558
- Current progress of endoscopy in inflammatory bowel disease: MR enterography.in: Advances in Endoscopy in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Springer, 2018: 57-70
- Impact of magnetic resonance enterography in the management of small bowel Crohn's disease.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 25: 550-555
- Diagnostic value of MR enterography as a complementary intervention to colonoscopy in axial spondylarthritis patients with chronic non-bloody diarrhea.in: Ergenc I. Unal A.U. Erturk Z. Arthritis & Rheumatology. WILEY, 111 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN 07030-5774, NJ USA2016
- Utilizing MR enterography for detection of sacroiliitis in patients with inflammatory bowel disease.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2015; 42: 121-127
- The prevalence of inflammatory sacroiliitis assessed on magnetic resonance imaging of inflammatory bowel disease: a retrospective study performed on 186 patients.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014; 39: 957-962
- The assessment of SpondyloArthritis international society (ASAS) handbook: a guide to assess spondyloarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68 (ii1-44)
- Scientific contributions of ankylosing spondylitis patient advocacy groups.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2000; 12: 239-247
- The arthritis connection to inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): why has it taken so long to understand it?.RMD Open. 2021; 7e001558
- Utility of magnetic resonance imaging in Crohn's associated sacroiliitis: a cross-sectional study.Int J Rheum Dis. 2021; 24: 582-590
- The prevalence and clinical associations of subclinical sacroiliitis in inflammatory bowel disease.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2019; 25: 1066-1071