- •Intellectual property law is a crucial part of commercialization of an idea, protecting inventors' invested time and effort.
- •Ensure that a non-disclosure agreement is in place before engaging industry and take care with the details shared publicly.
- •Engage the institutional Office of Technology Transfer or private intellectual property lawyers early to safeguard ideas.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Intellectual property.([cited 2019 Jul 3]. Available from:)in: Merriam-Webster.com [Internet]. 2019
J. Puleo The five Ws of intellectual property assets in healthcare business transactions [internet]. Lexology. Available from: https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=2a654917-4ace-4dd4-9a28-dbb415190136.
- Initial experience integrating a hands-on innovation curriculum into a radiology residency program and department.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020 May 15; 17: 1329-1333https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2020.04.020
- Functions of the United States patent and trademark office [Internet].([cited 2019 Jul 3]. Available from:)https://www.uspto.gov/patents-getting-started/general-information-concerning-patents#heading-4Date: 2015
- Academic technology transfer and radiology: a strong partnership for the future.Acad Radiol. 2007; 14: 1289-1295https://doi.org/10.1007/s10278-007-9096-6
- May 2019 patents data [internet].([cited 2019 Jul 3]. Available from:)https://www.uspto.gov/dashboards/patents/main.dashxmlDate: 2019 May
- Public disclosure and patent bars [internet].(Available from:) Protecting Intellectual Property, 2019 Jul 9
- The impact of public disclosure on patents [internet].([cited 2019 Jul 9]. Available from:)
- RSNA news.([cited 2021 Apr 13]; Available from:)Volume 22. 2012 Mayhttps://www.rsna.org/uploadedFiles/RSNA/Content/News/PDF/2012_RSNA_News_PDFs/005_RSNA_News_May_2012.pdf
- Intellectual property in medical imaging and informatics: the independent inventor’s perspective.J Digit Imaging. 2008 Mar; 21: 3-8https://doi.org/10.1007/s10278-007-9096-6
- Copyright Law of the United States: The Berne Convention Implementation Act of 1988 [Internet].([cited 2019 Nov 1]. Available from:)
- Copyright basics [internet].([cited 2019 Jul 3]. Available from:)
- What is intellectual property? [Internet].(Available from:) World Intellectual Property Organization, 2019 Jul 6
- Trademark, patent, or copyright? [Internet].([cited 2019 Jul 3]. Available from:) Trademark Basics, 2019 Jul 6
- Protecting your trademark: Enhancing your rights through Federal Registration [Internet].([cited 2019 Jul 6]. Available from:)
- Trade secret policy [Internet].(Available from:) IP Policy, 2019 Jul 6
- How are trade secrets protected? [Internet].(Available from:) IP for Business, 2019 Jul 6
- Overview of confidentiality agreements [Internet].(Available from:) Iowa State University: Ag Decision Maker, 2019 Jul 10
- Intellectual property.(Available from:)in: Legal Information Institute [Internet]. 2019 Jul 3
- AUTM [Internet].(Available from:)
- Provisional patent application forms [internet].(Available from:)https://www.uspto.gov/patents-getting-started/patent-basics/types-patent-applications/provisional-application-patent
☆The authors have no other financial disclosures or conflicts of interest with regard to the material in this submitted manuscript. This work was not funded in any way.