- •Paid family and medical leave policies are increasingly popular in today’s competitive labor market.
- •Enacting an effective paid leave policy requires careful consideration of funding, logistics, and a practice's own needs.
- •This toolkit can serve as a framework for a paid leave policy that promotes a more diverse, inclusive, and healthy workplace.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Major survey findings of listening to Mothers(SM) III: pregnancy and birth: report of the third National U.S. Survey of Women's childbearing experiences.J Perinat Educ. Winter 2014; 23: 9-16https://doi.org/10.1891/1058-1243.23.1.9
- Did California paid family leave impact infant health?.J Policy Anal Manag. 2019 2019; 38: 155-180https://doi.org/10.1002/pam.22101
- Lost productive work time costs from health conditions in the United States: results from the american productivity audit.J Occup Environ Med. Dec 2003; 45: 1234-1246https://doi.org/10.1097/01.jom.0000099999.27348.78
- Deloitte parental leave survey.https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/about-deloitte/us-about-deloitte-paternal-leave-survey.pdfDate accessed: May 24, 2022
L. Kim Google just increased parental leave to 24 weeks—here’s how that compares to other tech giants. Forbes. Accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisakim/2022/01/27/google-just-increased-parental-leave-to-24-weeks-heres-how-that-compares-to-other-tech-giants/?sh=4a4054582b33.
- Millennials see paternity leave as a priority.(November 28, 2017) The New York Times, 2017https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/28/well/family/millennials-see-paternity-leave-as-a-priority.html?smid=em-shareDate accessed: May 24, 2022
- Paid parental leave in radiology: the time is now-challenges, strategies, and the business case for implementation.J Am Coll Radiol. Mar 2019; 16: 389-392https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2018.10.031
- Support for paid family leave among small employers increases during the COVID-19 pandemic.Socius. 2021; (23780231211061959): 7https://doi.org/10.1177/23780231211061959
- Report reinforces mounting physician shortage.https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/press-releases/aamc-report-reinforces-mounting-physician-shortageDate accessed: May 24, 2022
- ED imaging demand skyrocketed in 2021, and many radiology providers are struggling to keep up. What's next for the specialty?.https://www.radiologybusiness.com/sponsored/1065/ed-imaging-demand-skyrocketed-2021-and-many-radiology-providers-are-struggling-keepDate accessed: May 24, 2022
- Are we prepared for a looming radiologist shortage?.https://www.diagnosticimaging.com/view/are-we-prepared-for-a-looming-radiologist-shortage-Date accessed: May 24, 2022
- Society of Chairs of academic radiology departments statement of support for paid parental leave.J Am Coll Radiol. Mar 2019; 16: 271-272https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2018.12.029
- Navigating parental leave as a leader in radiology: commentary on challenges and strategies.Clin Imaging. 2021; 82: 58-62https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2021.10.007
- Addressing needs of women radiologists: opportunities for practice leaders to facilitate change.Radiographics. 2018; 38 (10): 1626-1637https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.2018180023
- Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Pub L 103-3, 29 USC.1993
- Supporting children's health needs: an analysis of paid leave policies in 193 countries.Glob Public Health. Apr 11 2022; : 1-14https://doi.org/10.1080/17441692.2022.2062028
- State paid family & medical leave insurance laws.https://www.nationalpartnership.org/our-work/resources/economic-justice/paid-leave/state-paid-family-leave-laws.pdfDate accessed: May 24, 2022
- Paid leave in the U.S.https://www.kff.org/womens-health-policy/fact-sheet/paid-leave-in-u-s/Date accessed: May 24, 2022
- Paid sick leave.https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/paid-sick-leave.aspxDate accessed: May 24, 2022
- Utilization of the family and medical leave act in radiology practices according to the 2016 ACR Commission on Human Resources Workforce Survey.J. Am. Coll. Radiol. Dec 2016; 13: 1440-1446https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2016.08.023
R Milkman E. Appelbaum Unfinished business: paid family leave in California and the future of U.S. work-family policy.30.
- Paid family/medical leave in radiology: the time is really now.Clin Imaging. May 2022; 85: 120-122https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2022.03.017
- Supporting a work-life balance for radiology resident parents.Acad Radiol. Feb 2021; 28: 243-249https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2020.06.008
- A timely problem: parental leave during medical training.Acad Med. Nov 2019; 94: 1631-1634https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000002733
- Do surgeons adjust clinical productivity after maternity leave?.Am J Surg. 2022; 223 (2022/05/01/): 900-904https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2021.09.032
- Equal pay for equal work in radiology: expired excuses and solutions for change.Clin Imaging. Mar 2022; 83: 93-98https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2021.12.015
- Equal but inequitable: who benefits from gender-neutral tenure clock stopping policies?.Am Econ Rev. 2018; 108 (2018–09-01): 2420-2441https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.20160613
- Parenting during graduate medical training — practical policy solutions to promote change.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 995-997https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1904721
- https://www.theabr.org/exam-details/residency-leave-policyDate accessed: August 29, 2021
- The family and medical leave act should be applicable to all radiologists and radiation oncologists.J Am Coll Radiol. Oct 2015; 12: 1125-1126https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2015.04.013
- ABR residency leave policy: how we got here.https://www.theabr.org/beam/from-the-board-of-governors-june-2021Date accessed: May 24, 2022
- Family leave and return-to-work experiences of physician mothers.JAMA Netw Open. Oct 2 2019; 2e1913054https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.13054