- •Many women radiologists enter training and early career in their childbearing years.
- •Supporting women who have children in training and early in their career increases women’s career longevity and potential for leadership.
- •Advancing paid parental leave and lactation support for radiologists promotes a culture of inclusion.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
American College of Radiology: Commission for Women and Diversity. Accessed March 4, 2022, https://www.acr.org/Member-Resources/Commissions-Committees/Women-Diversity.
- 2021 FACTS: electronic residency application service (ERAS) data.2021
- 2019 ACR Commission on human resources workforce survey.J Am Coll Radiol. May 2020; 17: 673-675https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2020.01.012
- Preparing and promoting women for leadership positions in radiology and the imaging industry.Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography. 2020; 44: 808-811https://doi.org/10.1097/RCT.0000000000001085
- Addressing needs of women radiologists: opportunities for practice leaders to facilitate change.Radiographics. Oct 2018; 38: 1626-1637https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.2018180023
- Advancing gender equity in medicine.CMAJ. 2021; 193: E244-E250https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.200951
- Protecting a gender diverse future by supporting breastfeeding radiologists.Acad Radiol. Feb 2022; 29: 181-182https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2021.09.026
- Creating a culture to support radiology resident mothers.J Am Coll Radiol. Dec 2018; 15: 1765-1767https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2018.07.001
- Career obstacles for women in medicine: an overview.Med Educ. Feb 2001; 35: 139-147
- Fertility and childbearing among american female physicians.J Womens Health (Larchmt). Oct 2016; 25: 1059-1065https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2015.5638
- Women in radiology: gender diversity is not a metric—it is a tool for excellence.EurRadiol. 2020/03/01 2020; 30: 1644-1652https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-019-06493-1
- Management of pregnancy in women of advanced age.(Accessed December 15, 2021)in: Chakrabarti A. UpToDate. 2021
- Impact of maternal age on oocyte and embryo competence.Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2018; 9: 327https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2018.00327
- Physician fertility: a call to action.Acad Med. May 2020; 95: 679-681https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000003079
- Predicting risk of underconfidence following maternity leave.Arch Dis Child. Nov 2020; 105: 1108-1110https://doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2019-317376
U.S. Department of Labor. Family and Medical Leave Act. https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fmla/faq.
- Family and medical leave for diagnostic radiology, interventional radiology, and radiation oncology residents in the United States: a policy opportunity.Radiology. Jul 2021; 300: 31-35https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2021210798
- Initial certification for diagnostic radiology: prerequisites and registration.theabr.org/diagnostic-radiology/initial-certification/core-exam/prerequisites-registrationDate: 2021Date accessed: December 21, 2021
- Carpe diem: an opportunity for the ABR to support its trainees with family-friendly policies.Clin Imaging. Jan 2021; 69: 148-149https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2020.07.001
- Lactation facilities in US radiology practices.J Am Coll Radiol. Jun 2017; 14: 733-736https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2016.11.025
- Promoting lactation support: challenges and solutions to supporting breastfeeding radiologists.Acad Radiol. Feb 2022; 29: 175-180https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2020.11.009
U.S. Department of Labor. Section 7(r) of the Fair Labor Standards Act - Break Time for Nursing Mothers Provision. Accessed March 4, 2022, https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/nursing-mothers/law.
- Parental leave policy in radiology residency programs: current status.J Am Coll Radiol. Sep 2020; 17: 1163-1171https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2019.12.032
- You Can't expect when You're expecting: the variable state of parental leave in radiology residency programs.Acad Radiol. Apr 2021; 28: 585-588https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2020.04.013
American Board of Radiology: ABR Residency Leave Policy. https://www.theabr.org/exam-details/residency-leave-policy.
ACGME Institutional Requirements: Summary and Impact of Focused Requirement Revision. Accessed March 4, 2022, https://www.acgme.org/globalassets/pfassets/reviewandcomment/rc/800_institutionalrequirements_2021-07-12_impact.pdf.
- Paid family leave in a large urban center academic radiology department: how we do it.Clin Imaging. 2020; 64: 67-69https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2020.03.010
- Ensuring a smooth transition for trainees returning from parental leave - a guide for program directors.Acad Radiol. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2021.04.018
- Navigating parental leave as a leader in radiology: commentary on challenges and strategies.Clin Imaging. 2021; 82: 58-62https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2021.10.007
- Supporting a work-life balance for radiology resident parents.Acad Radiol. Feb 2021; 28: 243-249https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2020.06.008
- A mother's room to support women in radiology.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 1438-1439https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2016.06.028
- A road map for change: ensuring that women have breastfeeding support.J Perinat Educ Summer. 2011; 20: 130-133https://doi.org/10.1891/1058-1243.20.3.130
- Parental leave and neuroradiology fellowships.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. Aug 2020; 41: 1348-1354https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A6648
ACGME Common Program Requirements for Neuroradiology. Accessed March 4, 2022, VI.C.2. https://www.acgme.org/globalassets/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/423_Neuroradiology_2020.pdf?ver=2020-06-29-164131-690&ver=2020-06-29-164131-690.
- Dr mom's added burden.J Am Coll Radiol. 2021; 18: 103-107https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2020.09.024
- Workload of radiologists in United States in 2006–2007 and trends since 1991–1992.Radiology. Aug 2009; 252: 458-467https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2522081895
- Insights from an intervention to support early career faculty with extraprofessional caregiving responsibilities.Women's Health Reports. 2021; 2: 355-368https://doi.org/10.1089/whr.2021.0018
- Transitioning to independent practice: an early career perspective.J Am Coll Radiol. Jun 2021; 18: 774-776https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2021.03.008
- How we do it: family leave at rose imaging specialists, a large specialized breast imaging practice.Clin Imaging. Oct 2020; 66: 137-138https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2020.05.004
- How we do it: parental leave at Yale.Clin Imaging. 2020/10/01/ 2020; 66: 82-83https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2020.04.015
- Career flexibility and family-friendly policies: an NIH-funded study to enhance women's careers in biomedical sciences.Journal of Women's Health. 2002; 20 (2011): 1485-1496https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2011.2737
- Why women leave medicine.https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/why-women-leave-medicineDate: 2019Date accessed: March 4, 2022
National Institutes of Health: Announcement of Childcare Costs for Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Institutional Research Training Awards. Accessed March 4, 2022, https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-21-177.html.
U.S. Department of Labor, Wage, and Hour Division. Fact Sheet #73: break time for nursing mothers under the FLSA. Accessed December 15, 2021, https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fact-sheets/73-flsa-break-time-nursing-mothers.
- Barriers to breastfeeding in female physicians.Breastfeed Med. Jun 2018; 13: 341-345https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2018.0022
- A lactation credit model to support breastfeeding in radiology: the new gold standard to support "liquid gold".Clin Imaging. Dec 2021; 80: 16-18https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2021.06.026
- The time is now. ACR Bulletin blog.https://www.acr.org/Practice-Management-Quality-Informatics/ACR-Bulletin/Articles/November-2019/The-Time-is-NowDate: 2019Date accessed: December 28, 2021