- •Traditional peer review is increasingly being replaced by peer learning.
- •Strengths of peer learning include learning, practice improvement, and cultivation of interpersonal relationships.
- •Challenges to peer learning are adaptation and transition from peer review, informatics support, and practice buy-in.
- •Peer learning may especially benefit breast imaging due to its common association with errors in medical malpractice cases.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Collaborative learning in radiology: from peer review to peer learning and peer coaching.Acad Radiol. 2020; 27: 1261-1267
- Peer feedback, learning, and improvement: answering the call of the Institute of Medicine Report on diagnostic error.Radiology. 2017; 283: 231-241
- Kohn L.T. Corrigan J.M. Donaldson M.S. To err is human: building a safer health system. National Academies Press (US) Copyright 2000 by the National Academy of Sciences, Washington (DC)2000 (All rights reserved)
- RADPEER quality assurance program: a multifacility study of interpretive disagreement rates.J Am Coll Radiol. 2004; 1: 59-65
- RADPEER scoring white paper.J Am Coll Radiol. 2009; 6: 21-25
- Fundamentals of diagnostic error in imaging.Radiographics. 2018; 38: 1845-1865
- Private practice Radiologists’ perceptions of peer learning.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17: 1509-1514
- ACR RADPEER committee white paper with 2016 updates: revised scoring system, new classifications, self-review, and subspecialized reports.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14: 1080-1086
- Disagreement in interpretation: a method for the development of benchmarks for quality assurance in imaging.J Am Coll Radiol. 2004; 1: 212-217
- Transitioning from peer review to peer learning: report of the 2020 peer learning summit.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17: 1499-1508
- Survey of faculty perceptions regarding a peer review system.J Am Coll Radiol. 2014; 11: 397-401
- RADPEER peer review: relevance, use, concerns, challenges, and direction forward.J Am Coll Radiol. 2014; 11: 899-904
- Medicine Balogh E.P. Miller B.T. Ball J.R. Improving Diagnosis in Health Care. National Academies Press (US) Copyright 2015 by the National Academy of Sciences, Washington (DC)2015 (All rights reserved)
- Rethinking peer review: what aviation can teach radiology about performance improvement.Radiology. 2011; 259: 626-632
American College of Radiology. Peer learning physician quality assurance pathway for accreditation: American College of Radiology,; [Available from: https://pages.acr.org/091421-Peer-References 2 Learning-Webinar_Recording.html?_ga=2.234206302.1376884319.1642084964-943305776.1640886301.
- The causes of medical malpractice suits against radiologists in the United States.Radiology. 2013; 266: 548-554
- Lessons learned from reviewing breast imaging malpractice cases.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: R58-r60
- Predictors of radiologists' perceived risk of malpractice lawsuits in breast imaging.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009; 192: 327-333
- Breast cancer malpractice litigation: a 10-year analysis and update in trends.Clin Imaging. 2020; 60: 26-32
- Breast radiology malpractice suits: characteristics of frequency and outcomes- national and statewide distinctions.Breast J. 2018; 24: 360-364
- Errors in breast imaging: how to reduce errors and promote a safety environment.J Breast Imaging. 2021; 3: 221-230
- Missed breast carcinoma: pitfalls and pearls.Radiographics. 2003; 23: 881-895
- Missed breast cancer: effects of subconscious bias and lesion characteristics.Radiographics. 2020; 40: 941-960
- A portrait of breast imaging specialists and of the interpretation of mammography in the United States.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006; 187: W456-W468
- What causes the Most stress in breast radiology Practice? A survey of members of the Society of Breast Imaging.J Breast Imaging. 2021; 3: 332-342
- Quality assurance in radiology: peer review and peer feedback.Clin Radiol. 2015; 70: 1158-1164
- Improving radiology peer learning: comparing a novel electronic peer learning tool and a traditional score-based peer review system.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2019; 212: 135-141
- Peer learning through multi-institutional web-based case conferences: perceived value (and Challenges) from abdominal, cardiothoracic, and musculoskeletal radiology case conference participants.Acad Radiol. 2020; 27: 1641-1646
- Radiologist peer review by group consensus.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 656-662
- Consensus-oriented group peer review: a new process to review radiologist work output.J Am Coll Radiol. 2014; 11: 131-138
- Peer learning on a shoe string: success of a distributive model for peer learning in a community radiology practice.Clin Imaging. 2020; 59: 114-118
- Transition from peer review to peer learning: experience in a radiology department.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15 (3): 1143-1149
- Implementation of a peer learning program replacing score-based peer review in a multispecialty integrated practice.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2018; 211: 949-956
- Cooperative learning: improving university instruction by basing practice on validated theory.J Excell Coll Teach. 2015; 25: 85-118
- Practical suggestions on how to move from peer review to peer learning.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2018; 210: 578-582
- Transitioning to peer learning: lessons learned.J Am Coll Radiol. 2021; 18: 499-506
- Peer learning and preserving the physician's right to learn.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 444-445
- Just culture: practical implementation for radiologist peer review.J Am Coll Radiol. 2019; 16: 384-388
- Creating a radiology quality and safety program: principles and pitfalls.Radiographics. 2018; 38: 1786-1798
- Incorporating peer learning into your breast imaging practice.J. Breast Imaging. 2021; 3: 491-497
- Integration of the community-based academic radiologist with the academic radiology department: a strategic imperative.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17: 304-308
☆All three authors have qualified for authorship by having participated in:
☆o substantially contributed to the conception or design of the work.
☆o the writing and/or revision of the manuscript.
☆o approved the final version of the manuscript.
☆o be accountable for the manuscript's contents.