- •Radiation induced chest wall chondrosarcoma is a very rare but important complication of radiation therapy for breast cancer.
- •There is often a long latency period between radiation treatment and emergence of a secondary sarcoma.
- •Patients are often presumptively diagnosed with local breast cancer recurrence.
- •Diagnostic criteria for radiation induced sarcoma is discussed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Sarcoma as a second malignancy after treatment for breast cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002; 52: 1231-1237
- Secondary sarcomas after radiotherapy for breast cancer: sustained risk and poor survival.Cancer. 2009; 115: 4055-4063
- Incidence of radiation induced sarcoma attributable to radiotherapy in adults: a retrospective cohort study in the SEER cancer registries across 17 primary tumor sites.Cancer Epidemiol. 2021; 70101857
- Sarcoma arising in irradiated bone: report of eleven cases. 1948.Cancer. 1998; 82: 8-34
- Radiation-induced sarcoma of bone.Cancer. 1971; 28: 1087-1099
- Chest wall chondrosarcoma.Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2009; 22: 362-365
- Primary thoracic sarcomas.Radiographics. 2002; 22: 621-637
- Advances in radiotherapy techniques and delivery for non-small cell lung cancer: benefits of intensity-modulated radiation therapy, proton therapy, and stereotactic body radiation therapy.Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2017; 6: 131-147
- Second malignancies after radiation therapy: update on pathogenesis and cross-sectional imaging findings.Radiographics. 2021; 41: 876-894
- Radiation-induced sarcoma: a retrospective population-based study over 34 years in a single institution.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2021; 33: e232-e238
- Updates in the treatment of breast cancer with radiotherapy.Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2017; 26: 371-382