- •Disparities exist between radiologists and speech-language pathologists in videofluoroscopic swallow study practice patterns.
- •Radiologists and speech-language pathologists agree on the need for a standardized videofluoroscopic swallow study protocol.
- •Disparities that have clear guidance on best practice are: AP view, esophageal sweep, frame rate, and initial aspiration.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
- The prevalence of dysphagia among adults in the United States.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014; 151: 765-769https://doi.org/10.1177/0194599814549156
United States Census Bureau. An aging nation: projected number of children and older adults. The United States Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/2018/comm/historic-first.html.
- Dysphagia: current reality and scope of the problem.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015; 12: 259-270https://doi.org/10.1038/nrgastro.2015.49
- Impact of oropharyngeal dysphagia on healthcare cost and length of stay in hospital: a systematic review.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-018-3376-3
- A geriatric giant?.Med Clin Rev. 2016; 02https://doi.org/10.21767/2471-299x.1000014
Collaboration Comes Standard: Radiologists Partner with a Speech-Language Pathologist To Enhance Modified Barium Swallowing Studies and Improve Outcomes for Patients With Dysphagia. American College of Radiology. https://www.acr.org/Practice-Management-Quality-Informatics/Imaging-3/Case-Studies/Quality-and-Safety/Collaboration-Comes-Standard.
- Impact of formal training on agreement of videofluoroscopic swallowing study interpretation across and within disciplines.Abdom Radiol. 2018; 43: 2938-2944https://doi.org/10.1007/s00261-018-1587-z
- Implementing a standardized nurse-driven rounding protocol in a trauma-surgical intensive care unit: a single institution experience.Cureus. 2018; https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.3422
- Excellence through evidence.JONAJ Nurs Adm. 2005; 35: 450-458https://doi.org/10.1097/00005110-200510000-00006
- Promoting collaboration in the primary care team–the role of the practice meeting.J Interprof Care. 1995; 9: 251-256https://doi.org/10.3109/13561829509072155
- MBS measurement tool for swallow Impairment—MBSImp: establishing a standard.Dysphagia. 2008; 23: 392-405https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-008-9185-9
- The modified barium swallow impairment profile (MBSImP™©) – innovation, dissemination and implementation.Perspect ASHA Special Interest Groups. 2017; 2: 129-138https://doi.org/10.1044/persp2.sig13.129
- Functional and physiological outcomes from an exercise-based dysphagia therapy: a pilot investigation of the McNeill dysphagia therapy program.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 1173-1178https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2011.11.008
- McNeill dysphagia therapy program: a case-control study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 743-749https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2010.01.013
- Normalization of temporal aspects of swallowing physiology after the McNeill dysphagia therapy program.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2012; 121: 525-532https://doi.org/10.1177/000348941212100806
- The radiology report as seen by radiologists and referring clinicians: results of the COVER and ROVER surveys.Radiology. 2011; 259: 184-195https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.10101045
- How should radiologists reply when patients ask about their diagnoses? A survey of radiologists' and clinicians'' preferences.American Journal of Roentgenology. 1993; 161: 433-436https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.161.2.8333389
- Knowledge of radiation exposure in common radiological investigations: a comparison between radiologists and non-radiologists.Emerg Med J. 2012; 29: 306-308https://doi.org/10.1136/emermed-2012-201259
- Relationships between nurses and physicians matter.Online J Nurs. 2015; 20: 6https://doi.org/10.3912/OJIN.Vol20No03PPT03
- A pilot for understanding interdisciplinary teams in rehabilitation practice.Rehabil Nurs. 2013; 38: 142-152https://doi.org/10.1002/rnj.75
- Best practices in modified barium swallow studies.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2020; 29: 1078-1093https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_ajslp-19-00189
- Reference values for healthy swallowing across the range from thin to extremely thick liquids.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2019; 62: 1338-1363https://doi.org/10.1044/2019_jslhr-s-18-0448
- The modified barium swallow study: when, how, and why?.Appl Radiol. 2019; 48
ACR Practice Parameter for the Performance of the Modified Barium Swallow. American College of Radiology. https://www.acr.org/-/media/ACR/Files/Practice-Parameters/Modified-Ba-Swallow.pdf.
- Dysphagia revisited: common and unusual causes.Radiographics. 2015; 35: 105-122https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.351130150
Knowledge and Skills Needed by Speech-language Pathologists Performing Videofluoroscopic Swallowing Studies. American Speech-Language Hearing Association. https://www.asha.org/policy/KS2004-00076/#sec1.7.
- The videofluorographic swallowing study.Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2008; 19: 769-785https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmr.2008.06.004
- Oropharyngeal and esophageal swallowing impairments: their association and the predictive value of the modified barium swallow impairment profile and combined multichannel intraluminal Impedance—Esophageal manometry.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2012; 121: 738-745https://doi.org/10.1177/000348941212101107
- Comparison of esophageal screen findings on videofluoroscopy with full esophagram results.Head Neck. 2011; 34: 264-269https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.21727
- Improving the diagnostic capability of the modified barium swallow study through standardization of an esophageal sweep protocol.Dysphagia. 2019; 34: 34-42https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-018-09966-5
- Visualizing the esophagus during modified barium swallow studies: a systematic review.. 2021; 30: 761-771https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_AJSLP-20-00255
- Understanding image resolution and quality in videofluoroscopy. Perspectives on swallowing and swallowing disorders (dysphagia).. 2015; 24: 115-124https://doi.org/10.1044/sasd24.3.115
An Introduction to Fluoroscopy Safety. CM. Anderson EM Leidholdt . https://www.mpcphysics.com/documents/IntroductiontoFluoroscopySafety8-20-13.pdf.
- Preliminary investigation of the effect of pulse rate on judgments of swallowing impairment and treatment recommendations.Dysphagia. 2013; 28: 528-538https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-013-9463-z
- Radiation exposure time during MBSS: influence of swallowing impairment severity, medical diagnosis, clinician experience, and standardized protocol use.Dysphagia. 2012; 28: 77-85https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-012-9415-z
- Can we use pulsed fluoroscopy to decrease the radiation dose during video fluoroscopic feeding studies in children?.Clin Radiol. 2009; 64: 70-73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2008.07.011
- Fluoroscopic evaluation of oropharyngeal dysphagia: anatomic, technical, and common etiologic factors.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015; 204: 49-58https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.13.12374
- Radiation risks to adult patients undergoing modified barium swallow studies.Dysphagia. 2019; 34: 922-929https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-019-09993-w
- How important is randomization of swallows during kinematic analyses of swallow function?.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2020; 29: 1650-1654https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_ajslp-20-00020