- •Pyogenic hepatic abscess is a rare complication after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG).
- •Causes of pyogenic hepatic abscess after (LSG) include hematoma or staple line leak, portal pylephlebitis or cryptogenic.
- •Contrast-enhanced CT has 95% sensitivity in the diagnosis of pyogenic hepatic abscess.
- •Imaging is essential to rule out staple line leak, assess the extent of disease and offer percutaneous drainage.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Solid organ infections: rare complications after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a report of four cases.Obes Surg. 2017; 27: 1374-1380https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-017-2609-6
- Splenic and concomitant liver abscess after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.CRSLS. 2018; 71e2017
- Splenic abscess caused by Streptococcus anginosus following laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a case report of a rare complication of bariatric surgery.J Surg Case Rep. 2017; 2017rjx072https://doi.org/10.1093/jscr/rjx072
- Pyogenic liver abscess after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.Pak J Med Sci. 2018; 34: 767-769https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.343.14409
- Liver abscess, a rare complicationpost sleeve gastrectomy.in: XVI annual meeting of European Society of Surgery. 2012: 1-70
- Gastrectomy is associated with an increased risk of pyogenic liver abscess: a 13-year nationwide cohort study.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 33788https://doi.org/10.1038/srep33788
- Imaging of hepatic infections.Clin Radiol. 2006; 61: 737-748https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2006.03.010
- Liver abscess as a complication of laparoscopic gastric banding bariatric surgery.Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2013; 14: 464-469https://doi.org/10.1089/sur.2012.023
- Recurrent perihepatic abscesses arising from a gastric remnant leak: delayed complication of a revision roux-en-Y gastric bypass.Case Rep Surg. 2021; 2021: 5510526https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/5510526
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: imaging of normal anatomic features and postoperative gastrointestinal complications.Diagn Interv Imaging. 2013; 94: 823-834https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diii.2013.03.017
- Anastomotic leakage with abscess after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for obesity: report of a series and review of literature.Ther Adv Gastrointest Endosc. 2020; 132631774520925963https://doi.org/10.1177/2631774520925963
- Upper gastrointestinal swallow study following bariatric surgery: institutional review and review of the literature.Obes Surg. 2012; 22: 1039-1043https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-012-0658-4
- Postoperative anatomic and pathologic findings at CT following gastrectomy.Radiographics. 2002; 22: 323-336https://doi.org/10.1148/radiographics.22.2.g02mr23323