- •Leadership and parental leave are not mutually exclusive events.
- •Successfully taking parental leave as a leader is an opportunity to effect change and advance workplace culture.
- •Being prepared and having strategies to address microaggressions is an important step in their mitigation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Comparison of utilization of the family and medical leave act in radiology practices between 2015 and 2016.AJR Am J Roentgenol. Aug 2018; 211: 239-243https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.17.19308
- Ensuring a smooth transition for trainees returning from parental leave - a guide for program directors.Acad Radiol. Jun 6 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2021.04.018
- Childbearing and family leave policies for resident physicians at top training institutions.JAMA. 2018; 320: 2372-2374https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.14414
- Family and medical leave for diagnostic radiology, interventional radiology, and radiation oncology residents in the United States: a policy opportunity.Radiology. Jul 2021; 300: 31-35https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2021210798
- In seas of change, a call to action: 2021 American board of medical specialties policy on parental, caregiver, and medical leave during training.Acad Radiol. Mar 31 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2021.03.006
- Specialty board leave policies for resident physicians requesting parental leave.JAMA. 2018; 320: 2374-2377https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.15889
- Career flexibility and family-friendly policies: an NIH-funded study to enhance women's careers in biomedical sciences.J Womens Health (Larchmt). Oct 2011; 20: 1485-1496https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2011.2737
- The motherhood penalty: is it alive and well in 2020?.J Am Coll Radiol. May 2020; 17: 688-689https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2019.11.028
- Surgeon experience with parental leave policies varies based on practice setting.World J Surg. Jul 2020; 44: 2144-2161https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-020-05447-9
- The impact of paid maternity leave on the mental and physical health of mothers and children: a review of the literature and policy implications.Harv Rev Psychiatry. Mar/Apr 2020; 28: 113-126https://doi.org/10.1097/hrp.0000000000000246
SJ Glynn . Breadwinning mothers continue to be the U.S. Norm. Available at: https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/women/reports/2019/05/10/469739/breadwinning-mothers-continue-u-s-norm/. Accessed September 17, 2021.
- Paid parental leave in radiology: the time is now-challenges, strategies, and the business case for implementation.J Am Coll Radiol. Mar 2019; 16: 389-392https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2018.10.031
- Society of Chairs of academic radiology departments statement of support for paid parental leave.J Am Coll Radiol. Mar 2019; 16: 271-272https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2018.12.029
K. Pantekoek Paid parental leave in the U.S. vs. other developed countries. Available at: https://www.findlaw.com/employment/family-medical-leave/paid-parental-leave-in-the-u-s--vs--other-developed-countries.html. Accessed June 18, 2021.
Employment Insurance maternity and parental benefits. Available at: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/reports/maternity-parental.html. Government of Canada. Accessed June 18, 2021.
Parental leave. Available at: https://www.business.govt.nz/hiring-and-managing/handling-holidays-and-leave/parental-leave/. Business.govt.nz. Accessed June 18, 2021.
J Heymann A Earle J. Hayes The work, family, and equity index: how does the United States measure up? Available at: https://www.mcgill.ca/ihsp/files/ihsp/WFEI2007.pdf. The Institute for Health and Social Policy. Accessed June 18, 2021.
- Barriers to career flexibility in academic medicine: a qualitative analysis of reasons for the underutilization of family-friendly policies, and implications for institutional change and department chair leadership.Acad Med. Feb 2018; 93: 246-255https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000001877
- Sex differences in academic rank in US medical schools in 2014.JAMA. 2015; 314: 1149-1158https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.10680
- Promotion of women physicians in academic medicine. Glass ceiling or sticky floor?.JAMA. 1995; 273: 1022-1025
- Generational and gender perspectives on career flexibility: ensuring the faculty workforce of the future.Am J Med. Jul 2012; 125: 719-728https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2012.03.013
- Evaluating a medical School's climate for Women's success: outcomes for faculty recruitment, retention, and promotion.J Womens Health (Larchmt). May 2017; 26: 530-539https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2016.6018
- Evolving workplace flexibility for U.S. medical school tenure-track faculty.Acad Med. Apr 2011; 86: 481-485https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0b013e31820ce51d
- Work-life policies for faculty at the top ten medical schools.J Womens Health (Larchmt). Oct 2008; 17: 1311-1320https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2007.0682
- Improving knowledge, awareness, and use of flexible career policies through an accelerator intervention at the University of California, Davis, School of Medicine.Acad Med. Jun 2013; 88: 771-777https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0b013e31828f8974
- Microaggression and pregnancy in the workplace: from benevolence to punishment.2011
- Common types of gender-based microaggressions in medicine.Acad Med. Mar 2020; 95: 450-457https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000003057
- Pregnancy as a source of bias in performance appraisals.J Organ Behav. 1993; 14: 649-663https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030140704
- The effect of bias on the advancement of working mothers: disentangling legitimate concerns from inaccurate stereotypes as predictors of advancement in academe.Hum Relat. 2008/12/01 2008; 61: 1677-1711https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726708098082
- Study: women with more children are more productive at work.(Available at:)https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/10/30/study-women-with-more-children-are-more-productive-at-work/(Accessed September 23, 2021)
- Parenthood and productivity of highly skilled labor: evidence from the groves of academe.J Econ Behav Organ. 2017; 140: 147-175https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jebo.2017.05.010
U. Blackstock Simple strategies for combating microaggressions in the workplace. Available at: https://www.acepnow.com/article/simple-strategies-for-combating-microaggressions-in-the-workplace/2/. American College of Emergency Physicians. Accessed June 18, 2021.
- Microaggression in radiology.J Am Coll Radiol. Sep 2019; 16: 1218-1219https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2019.02.034
- Microaggressions in clinical training and practice.PM&R. 2019; 11: 1004-1012https://doi.org/10.1002/pmrj.12229