- •There are disparities between ethnic groups in access to radiology services, including screening, diagnostic, and image-guided interventions.
- •Addressing disparities in radiology can be done by a three-prong approach through individual, institutional, and national change.
- •At the individual level, educating radiologists, understanding individual contribution to disparities, developing radiology-specific cultural competency training, and increasing awareness of political action committees is needed.
- •At the institutional level, embracing the concept of systemic change through reevaluation of goals and incentives and creating new mandated requirements addressing disparities with outcomes measures would be an initial start.
- •At the national level, leveraging radiology organizations to co-sponsor an annual national meeting on radiological disparities based on diversity would enable an open forum of discussion among a diverse group of radiologists.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The year America confronted racism 2020.Accessed May 25, 2021)
- Health equity considerations and racial and ethnic minority groups.https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/health-equity/race-ethnicity.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fneed-extra-precautions%2Fracial-ethnic-minorities.html#anchor_1595551043298Date: 2021Date accessed: May 29, 2021
- Acr statement on recent tragedies and racial inequities.https://www.acr.org/Media-Center/ACR-News-Releases/2020/ACR-Statement-on-Recent-Tragedies-and-Racial-InequitiesDate: 2020Date accessed: October 30, 2020
- Arrs statement on healthcare and racial inequities.https://arrsinpractice.org/arrs-statement-healthcare-racial-inequities/Date: 2020Date accessed: October 30, 2020
- Understanding and eliminating racial and ethnic disparities in health care.in: Smedley B.D. Stith A.Y. Nelson A.R. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)2003 (All rights reserved)
- Diversity matters in academic radiology: Acknowledging and addressing unconscious bias.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 1426-1432
- Overview of race and hispanic origin: 2010.https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdfDate: 2011Date accessed: October 29, 2020
- The role that graduate medical education must play in ensuring health equity and eliminating health care disparities.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014; 11: 603-607
- U.S. Census bureau projections show a slower growing, older, more diverse nation a half century from now.https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/population/cb12-243.htmlDate: 2012Date accessed: October 30, 2020
- Reduced lung-cancer mortality with low-dose computed tomographic screening.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 395-409
- Racial disparities in eligibility for low-dose computed tomography lung cancer screening among older adults with a history of smoking.Cancer Causes Control. 2019; 30: 235-240
- Preempting racial inequities in lung cancer screening.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 55: 908-912
- Barriers to obtaining prostate multi-parametric magnetic resonance imaging in african-american men on active surveillance for prostate cancer.Cancer Med. 2019; 8: 3659-3665
- A systematic review for health disparities and inequities in multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging for prostate cancer diagnosis.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 953-962
- Breast cancer statistics, 2015: convergence of incidence rates between black and white women.CA Cancer J Clin. 2016; 66: 31-42
- Breast cancer statistics, 2019.CA Cancer J Clin. 2019; 69: 438-451
- Racial disparities in screening mammography in the United States: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14 (157-65.e9)
- Does utilization of screening mammography explain racial and ethnic differences in breast cancer?.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 144: 541-553
- The influence of patient race on the use of diagnostic imaging in United States emergency departments: data from the national hospital ambulatory medical care survey.BMC Health Serv Res. 2020; 20: 840
- Reducing health disparities in radiology through social determinants of health: lessons from the covid-19 pandemic.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 903-910
- Disparities in imaging utilization for acute ischemic stroke based on patient insurance status.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014; 203: 372-376
- Health care disparities in radiology: a primer for resident education.Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2019; 48: 108-110
- Socioeconomic and demographic predictors of missed opportunities to provide advanced imaging services.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14: 1403-1411
- Minority physicians' role in the care of underserved patients: diversifying the physician workforce may be key in addressing health disparities.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 289-291
- Physician race and care of minority and medically indigent patients.JAMA. 1995; 273: 1515-1520
Clinical learning environment review pathways to excellence version 2.0. [Accessed October 29, 2020].
- Addressing the ACGME mandate for healthcare disparities education in residency programs: a needs assessment.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 930-937
- Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) curriculum for radiology program directors and residents.https://www.apdr.org/en/program-directors/DEI-CurriculumDate: 2021Date accessed: August 13, 2021
- Analysis of literature regarding health care disparities in radiology: is radiology falling behind?.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 911-915
- Radiology and public health.J Am Coll Radiol. 2008; 5: 155
- Commission for women and diversity.https://www.acr.org/Member-Resources/Commissions-Committees/Women-DiversityDate: 2021Date accessed: May 29, 2021
- Committee on diversity, equity, and inclusion (CDEI).https://www2.rsna.org/timssnet/About/volunteer.cfm?_ga=2.163753983.116146635.1622296278-1846294401.1602870965Date: 2021Date accessed: May 29, 2021
- Why do some physicians choose to tackle inequities in healthcare?.Int J Equity Health. 2018; 17: 81
- National survey of physicians part i: Doctors on disparities in medical care.https://www.kff.org/uninsured/national-survey-of-physicians-part-i-doctors/Date: 2002Date accessed: October 30, 2020
- The impact of racism on clinician cognition, behavior, and clinical decision making.Du Bois Rev. 2011; 8: 199-218
- Doctors' and nurses' explanations for racial disparities in medical treatment.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2010; 21: 386-400
- Implicit racial/ethnic bias among health care professionals and its influence on health care outcomes: a systematic review.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: e60-e76
- Measuring individual differences in implicit cognition: the implicit association test.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1998; 74: 1464-1480
- Implicit bias in health care.https://www.jointcommission.org/-/media/deprecated-unorganized/imported-assets/tjc/system-folders/joint-commission-online/quick_safety_issue_23_apr_2016pdf.pdf?db=web&hash=A5852411BCA02D1A918284EBAA775988Date: 2016Date accessed: October 30, 2020
- Implicit bias among physicians and its prediction of thrombolysis decisions for black and white patients.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 1231-1238
- Working together to end racial and ethnic disparities: One physician at a time kit.https://commerce.ama-assn.org/store/ui/catalog/productDetail?product_id=prod1240029&navAction=pushDate: 2020Date accessed: October 30, 2020
- The problem with cultural competency in medical education.https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2016/03/problem-cultural-competency-medical-education.htmlDate: 2016Date accessed: October 30, 2020
- Significant disparities exist in consumer health insurance literacy: implications for health care reform.Health Lit Res Pract. 2019; 3: e250-e258
- Measuring health insurance literacy: A call to action a report from the health insurance literacy expert roundtable.https://advocacy.consumerreports.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Health_Insurance_Literacy_Roundtable_rpt.pdfDate: 2012Date accessed: October 30, 2020
- Radiology and political advocacy: characterizing radiology political action committee donors.Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2019; 48: 448-451
- Cultural competency in diagnostic imaging.Acad Radiol. 2005; 12: 232-236
- Kohn L.T. Corrigan J.M. Donaldson M.S. To err is human: building a safer health system. National Academies Press (US) Copyright 2000 by the National Academy of Sciences, Washington (DC)2000 (All rights reserved)
- Estimating the economic burden of racial health inequalities in the United States.Int J Health Serv. 2011; 41: 231-238
- Are providers more likely to contribute to healthcare disparities under high levels of cognitive load? How features of the healthcare setting may lead to biases in medical decision making.Med Decis Making. 2010; 30: 246-257
SBI Communications and Advocacy Task Force:. Society of breast imaging position statement on diversity and inclusion. https://www.sbi-online.org/Portals/0/Position%20Statements/2019/diversity-and-inclusion-statement.pdf. [Accessed 29 May 2021].
- Breast cancer disparities.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o8uMuLxM4kDate: 2020Date accessed: May 29, 2021
- Breast screening dispartities, divergent populations, and divergent guidelines.https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=I9vLbnUScrY&feature=youtu.beDate: 2020Date accessed: May 29, 2021
- Breat cancer screening.https://acsearch.acr.org/list?_ga=2.103532352.1369626269.1622124896-1705233320.1622124896Date: 2021Date accessed: May 29, 2021
- Breast cancer screening guidelines for women.https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/breast/pdf/breast-cancer-screening-guidelines-508.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: May 29, 2021
- State cancer profiles: Dynamic views of cancer statistics for prioritizing cancer control efforts across the nation.https://statecancerprofiles.cancer.gov/historicaltrend/index.php?0&2115&999&7599&001&055&00&2&0&0&1&0&1&3&2115!009!055!00!2!1!0&9900!009!055!00!2!1!0#resultsDate: 2021Date accessed: May 29, 2021
- Race/ethnicity and age distribution of breast cancer diagnosis in the United States.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 594-595