- •A novel CNN model can automatically detect and output the precise anatomical localization and classification of rib fractures.
- •The sensitivity of localization reached 94.87% and 97.11% in the right and left ribs, respectively.
- •The CNN model had a certain robustness verified by the external test, and it matched or surpassed the detection and classification performance of experienced radiologists.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:CNN (convolutional neural network), DL (deep learning), ROC (receiver operating characteristic), fROC (free-response receiver operating characteristic), AUC (area under the curve), RPN (region proposal network), GT (ground truth)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Morbidity, mortality, associated injuries, and management of traumatic rib fractures.J Chin Med Assoc. 2016; 79: 329-334
- Missed rib fractures on evaluation of initial chest CT for trauma patients: pattern analysis and diagnostic value of coronal multiplanar reconstruction images with multidetector row CT.Br J Radiol. 2012; 85: e845-e850
- Rib fracture fixation: indications and outcomes.Crit Care Clin. 2017; 33: 153-165
- Improving rib fracture detection accuracy and reading efficiency with deep learning-based detection software: a clinical evaluation.Br J Radiol. 2020; 9420200870
- Traumatic rib injury: patterns, imaging pitfalls, complications, and treatment.Radiographics. 2017; 37: 628-651
- MDCT evaluation of costal bone lesions.Medicine. 2015; 94
- Rib fracture diagnosis in the Panscan Era.Ann Emerg Med. 2017; 70: 904-909
- Quantitative measurement method for possible rib fractures in chest radiographs.Healthc Inform Res. 2013; 19: 196-204
- Automatic detection and classification of rib fractures on thoracic CT using convolutional neural network: accuracy and feasibility.Korean J Radiol. 2020; 21: 869-879
- Long radiology workdays reduce detection and accommodation accuracy.J Am Coll Radiol. 2010; 7: 698-704
- Automatic rib cage unfolding with CT cylindrical projection reformat in polytraumatized patients for rib fracture detection and characterization: feasibility and clinical application.Eur J Radiol. 2019; 110: 121-127
- The ribs unfolded - a CT visualization algorithm for fast detection of rib fractures: effect on sensitivity and specificity in trauma patients.Eur Radiol. 2015; 25: 1865-1874
- Evaluation of rib fractures on a single-in-plane image reformation of the rib cage in CT examinations.Acad Radiol. 2017; 24: 153-159
- New bone post-processing tools in forensic imaging: a multi-reader feasibility study to evaluate detection time and diagnostic accuracy in rib fracture assessment.Int J Leg Med. 2017; 131: 489-496
- Assessment of a deep learning algorithm for the detection of rib fractures on whole-body trauma computed tomography.Korean J Radiol. 2020; 21: 891-899
- Deep-learning-assisted detection and segmentation of rib fractures from CT scans: development and validation of FracNet.EBioMedicine. 2020; : 62
- Automatic detection and classification of rib fractures based on patients' CT images and clinical information via convolutional neural network.Eur Radiol. 2020; 31: 3815-3825
- Automated multi-class classification of skin lesions through deep convolutional neural network with dermoscopic images.Comput Med Imaging Graph. 2021; 88101843
- Assessment of convolutional neural networks for automated classification of chest radiographs.Radiology. 2019; 290: 537-544
- Convolutional neural networks for automated fracture detection and localization on wrist radiographs.Radiology. 2019; 1
- Automated coronary artery atherosclerosis detection and weakly supervised localization on coronary CT angiography with a deep 3-dimensional convolutional neural network.Comput Med Imaging Graph. 2020; 83101721
- When is a fracture not “Fresh”? Aligning reimbursement with patient outcome after treatment with low-intensity pulsed ultrasound.J Orthop Trauma. 2017; 31: 248-251
- Comparison of computed tomography and chest radiography in the detection of rib fractures in abused infants.Child Abuse Negl. 2008; 32: 659-663
- Treatment of traumatic clavicular pseudoarthrosis with the hunec colchero nail.Acta Ortop Mex. 2007; 21: 63-68
- Focal loss for dense object detection.IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 2020; 42: 318-327
- Lung infection quantification of COVID-19 in CT images with deep learning.2020
- Missed rib fractures on initial chest CT in trauma patients: time patterns, clinical and forensic significance.Eur Radiol. 2020; 31: 2332-2339
- Feature pyramid reconfiguration with consistent loss for object detection.IEEE Trans Image Process. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2019.2917781
- Inspection of visible components in urine based on deep learning.Med Phys. 2020; 47: 2937-2949