- •Differentiation between WTs and other parotid tumors remains challenging.
- •The best MR features of WT included bilaterality, ADC < 905.1, and T1 hyperintensity.
- •MRI score cut-off value of 7 indicated 100% specificity and 100% PPV for WTs.
- •Despite known characteristic radiologic and clinical features, differentiation between Warthin's tumor (WT) and other parotid tumors remains challenging.
- •The best MRI features for differentiating between WTs from other tumors included bilaterality, multifocality, ADC values <905.1, and high signal intensity on T1-W images.
- •Six or more points on the 14-point scoring MRI scale was associated with an area under the curve of 0.99, while a cut-off value of 7 indicated 100% specificity and 100% positive predictive value.
Abbreviations:WT (Warthin's tumor), ACC (acinic cell carcinoma), MEC (mucoepidermoid carcinoma), ROC (receiving operating characteristics), AUC (area under the curve), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), DWI (diffusion-weighted imaging), ADC (apparent diffusion coefficient)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- State-of-the-art imaging of salivary gland tumors.Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2018; 28: 303-317
- Warthin tumor of the parotid gland: MR-pathologic correlation.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1993; 14: 209-214
- Warthin's tumour: a study of 78 cases with emphasis on bilaterality, multifocality and association with other malignancies.Oral Oncol. 2002; 38: 35-40
- High risk for bilateral warthin tumor in heavy smokers–review of 185 cases.Acta Otolaryngol. 2006; 126: 1213-1217
- Warthin tumor of the parotid gland: diagnostic value of MR imaging with histopathologic correlation.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2004; 25: 1256-1262
- Diffusion-weighted echo-planar MR imaging of primary parotid gland tumors: is a prediction of different histologic subtypes possible?.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2009; 30: 591-596
- Contemporary management of tumors of the salivary glands.Curr Oncol Rep. 2007; 9: 134-138
- Treatment of Warthin’s tumor by enucleation.Am J Surg. 1988; 156: 294-296
- The significance of the margin in parotid surgery for pleomorphic adenoma.Laryngoscope. 2002; 112: 2141-2154
- JOURNAL CLUB: the warthin tumor score: a simple and reliable method to distinguish warthin tumors from pleomorphic adenomas and carcinomas.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2018; 210: 1330-1337
- Differential diagnosis of parotid gland tumours: which magnetic resonance findings should be taken in account?.Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2015; 35: 314-320
- MR imaging of parotid tumors: typical lesion characteristics in MR imaging improve discrimination between benign and malignant disease.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011; 32: 1202-1207
- Positron emission tomography in Warthin’s tumor mimicking malignancy impacts the evaluation of head and neck patients.Am J Otolaryngol. 2015; 36: 259-263
- Salivary gland carcinomas.Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 16: 267-283
- Acinic cell carcinoma of the parotid gland: CT and MRI.Neuroradiology. 1996; 38: 675-679
- Acinic cell carcinoma of the head and neck: radiologic-pathologic correlation.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2005; 29: 121-126
- Multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging of parotid tumors: a systematic review.Diagn Interv Imaging. 2021; 102: 121-130
- Inflamed benign tumors of the parotid gland: diagnostic pitfalls from a potentially misleading entity.Head Neck. 2015; 37: 23-29
- Infected adenolymphoma: a new parotid syndrome.Br J Surg. 1970; 57: 569-572
- A rare cause of subacute parotitis. the pathogenetic role of crystals from an infarcted Whartin’s tumour?.HNO. 2005; 53: 969-972
- Increased incidence of Warthin tumours of the parotid gland: a 42-year evaluation.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2018; 275: 2593-2598
- Warthin’s tumor: a review indicating no male predominance.Laryngoscope. 1983; 93: 889-891
- Warthin’s tumor. A high incidence and no sex predominance in central Pennsylvania.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1992; 118: 477-478
- Warthin’s tumor: multicentricity and increasing incidence in women.Am J Surg. 1987; 154: 347-351
- Tobacco product use among adults - United States, 2019.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69: 1736-1742