- •Success rates of MRI-directed breast US in detecting a correlate are wide-ranging.
- •Masses significantly more likely to be found on US than nonmass enhancement (NME).
- •Larger, irregular, and malignant masses portend success in sonographic detection.
- •Rare to detect sonographic correlate for NME, including for preoperative MRI.
- •Proceeding directly to MRI biopsy should be considered for NME in preoperative MRI.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Abbreviated MRI of the breast: does it provide value?.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2019 Jun; 49: e85-e100
- American Cancer Society guidelines for breast screening with MRI as an adjunct to mammography.CA Cancer J Clin. 2007 Mar-Apr; 57: 75-89
- Accuracy of combined dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging and diffusion-weighted imaging for breast cancer detection: a meta-analysis.Acta Radiol. 2016 Jun; 57: 651-660
- Efficacy of MRI and mammography for breast cancer screening in women with a familial or genetic predisposition.N Engl J Med. 2004 Jul 29; 351: 427-437
- An abbreviated protocol for high-risk screening breast magnetic resonance imaging: impact on performance metrics and BI-RADS assessment.Acad Radiol. 2017 Sep; 24: 1132-1138
- Abbreviated screening protocol for breast MRI: a feasibility study.Acad Radiol. 2015 Sep; 22: 1157-1162
- Abbreviated breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): first postcontrast subtracted images and maximum-intensity projection-a novel approach to breast cancer screening with MRI.J Clin Oncol. 2014 Aug 1; 32: 2304-2310
- A review of current evidence-based clinical applications for breast magnetic resonance imaging.Top Magn Reson Imaging. 2008 Jun; 19: 143-150
- Breast MRI: guidelines from the european Society of Breast Imaging.Eur Radiol. 2008 Jul; 18: 1307-1318
- ACR practice parameter for the performance of contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the breast.American College of Radiology, Reston, Va2018
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the breast: recommendations from the EUSOMA working group.Eur J Cancer. 2010 May; 46: 1296-1316
- Breast MRI: state of the art.Radiology. 2019 Sep; 292: 520-536
- Abbreviated magnetic resonance imaging in breast cancer: a systematic review of literature.Eur J Radiol Open. 2020 Dec; 17100307
- Utility of second-look ultrasound in the evaluation of MRI-detected breast lesions.Semin Roentgenol. 2011 Oct; 46: 260-274
- Improved accuracy in differentiating malignant from benign mammographic abnormalities: a simple, improved magnetic resonance imaging method.Cancer. 2001 Aug 1; 92: 471-478
- Update of breast MR imaging architectural interpretation model.Radiology. 2001 May; 219: 484-494
- MR imaging of the breast for the detection, diagnosis, and staging of breast cancer.Radiology. 2001 Jul; 220: 13-30
- Diagnostic architectural and dynamic features at breast MR imaging: multicenter study.Radiology. 2006 Jan; 238: 42-53
- MR-directed (“Second-Look”) ultrasound examination for breast lesions detected initially on MRI: MR and sonographic findings.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010 Feb; 194: 370-377
- Accuracy of MRI-directed ultrasound and subsequent ultrasound-guided biopsy for suspicious breast MRI findings.Clin Radiol. 2020 Mar; 75: 185-193
- Magnetic resonance imaging-directed ultrasound imaging of non-mass enhancement in the breast: outcomes and frequency of malignancy.J Ultrasound Med. 2017 Mar; 36: 493-504
- Utility of targeted sonography for breast lesions that were suspicious on MRI.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009 Apr; 192: 1128-1134
- Targeted ultrasound of the breast in women with abnormal MRI findings for whom biopsy has been recommended.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009 Oct; 193: 1025-1029
- Breast lesions detected with MR imaging: utility and histopathologic importance of identification with US.Radiology. 2003 Jun; 227: 856-861
- Diagnostic utility of second-look US for breast lesions identified at MR imaging: systematic review and meta-analysis.Radiology. 2014 Nov; 273: 401-409
- ACR BI-RADS® atlas, breast imaging reporting and data system.American College of Radiology, Reston, VA2013
- Sonographic-MRI correlation after percutaneous sampling of targeted breast ultrasound lesions: initial experiences with limited-sequence unenhanced MRI for postprocedural clip localization.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2018 Apr; 210: 927-934
- Utility of second-look ultrasound in the management of incidental enhancing lesions detected by breast MR imaging.Radiol Med. 2010 Dec; 115: 1234-1245
- Indeterminate or suspicious breast lesions detected initially with MR imaging: value of MRI-directed breast ultrasound.Acad Radiol. 2008 May; 15: 618-625