- •Patients with prior digital breast tomosynthesis screening had a lower risk of encountering BI-RADS 3 findings on screening ultrasound compared to patients with prior digital mammography screening.
- •Many patients with BI-RADS 3 results on screening ultrasound did not complete recommended imaging follow-up.
- •BI-RADS 3 findings on screening ultrasound had an extremely low rate of being cancer.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Effectiveness of breast cancer screening: systematic review and meta-analysis to update the 2009 U.S. preventive services task force recommendation.Ann Intern Med. 2016; 164: 244-255
T.M. Kolb J. Lichy J.H. Newhouse Comparison of the performance of screening mammography, physical examination, and breast US and evaluation of factors that influence them: an analysis of 27,825 patient evaluations Radiology 225 1 2002 165 75.
- The relationship of mammographic density and age: implications for breast cancer screening.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2012; 198: W292-W295
- Quantitative assessment of mammographic breast density: relationship with breast cancer risk.Radiology. 2004; 230: 29-41
- Mammographic breast density and subsequent risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women according to tumor characteristics.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103: 1179-1189
- Available from:)Accessed April 15, 2020) (
- Screening ultrasound as an adjunct to mammography in women with mammographically dense breasts.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212: 9-17
- Abbreviated breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): first postcontrast subtracted images and maximum-intensity projection-a novel approach to breast cancer screening with MRI.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 2304-2310
- Journal club: molecular breast imaging at reduced radiation dose for supplemental screening in mammographically dense breasts.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015; 204: 241-251
- Performance of dual-energy contrast-enhanced digital mammography for screening women at increased risk of breast cancer.Radiology. 2019; 293: 81-88
- Probably benign lesions at screening breast US in a population with elevated risk: prevalence and rate of malignancy in the ACRIN 6666 trial.Radiology. 2013; 269: 701-712
- Screening US in patients with mammographically dense breasts: initial experience with Connecticut Public Act 09–41.Radiology. 2012; 265: 59-69
- Clinical performance metrics of 3D digital breast tomosynthesis compared with 2D digital mammography for breast cancer screening in community practice.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014; 203: 687-693
- Suspicious findings at digital breast tomosynthesis occult to conventional digital mammography: imaging features and pathology findings.Breast J. 2015; 21: 538-542
- Association of digital breast tomosynthesis vs digital mammography with cancer detection and recall rates by age and breast density.JAMA Oncol. 2019; 5: 635-642
- Tomosynthesis in the diagnostic setting: changing rates of BI-RADS final assessment over time.Radiology. 2016; 281: 54-61
- BI-RADS category 3 comparison: probably benign category after recall from screening before and after implementation of digital breast tomosynthesis.Radiology. 2017; 285: 778-787
- Changes in the utilization of the BI-RADS category 3 assessment in recalled patients before and after the implementation of screening digital breast tomosynthesis.Acad Radiol. 2019; 26: 1515-1525
- The effect of the addition of tomosynthesis to digital mammography on reader recall rate and reader confidence in the UK prevalent screening round.Clin Radiol. 2018; 73: 744-749
- Dense breast ultrasound screening after digital mammography versus after digital breast tomosynthesis.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2019; 213: 1397-1402
- ACR BI-RADS® atlas, breast imaging reporting and data system.American College of Radiology, Reston, VA2013
- Cystic breast masses and the ACRIN 6666 experience.Radiol Clin North Am. 2010; 48: 931-987
- Reassessment and follow-up results of BI-RADS category 3 lesions detected on screening breast ultrasound.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016; 206: 666-672
- Detection of breast cancer with addition of annual screening ultrasound or a single screening MRI to mammography in women with elevated breast cancer risk.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1394-1404
- The Connecticut experiment; the third installment: 4 years of screening women with dense breasts with bilateral ultrasound.Breast J. 2017; 23: 34-39
- Patient compliance and diagnostic yield of 18-month unilateral follow-up in surveillance of probably benign mammographic lesions.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014; 202: 922-927
- Mammography: interobserver variability in breast density assessment.Breast. 2007; 16: 568-576
- Estimation of percentage breast tissue density: comparison between digital mammography (2D full field digital mammography) and digital breast tomosynthesis according to different BI-RADS categories.Br J Radiol. 2013; 86: 20130255