- •COVID-19 patients have more CT evidence of lung ischemia than non-COVID-19 patients with pulmonary emboli.
- •The bronchial circulation is available to compensate for pulmonary emboli but in COVID-19, the bronchial endothelial cells are vulnerable to infection and may be compromised.
- •The micro-thrombotic disease of COVID-19 effects vessels smaller than 3 mm, which are more often associated with infarction.
- Goshua G.
- Pine A.B.
- Meizlish M.L.
- Chang C.H.
- Zhang H.
- Bahel P.
- Baluha A.
- Bar N.
- Bona R.D.
- Burns A.J.
- Dela Cruz C.S.
- Dumont A.
- Halene S.
- Hwa J.
- Koff J.
- Menninger H.
- Neparidze N.
- Price C.
- Siner J.M.
- Tormey C.
- Rinder H.M.
- Chun H.J.
- Lee A.I.
Declaration of competing interest
- Endothelial cell infection and endotheliitis in COVID-19.Lancet. 2020 May 2; 395: 1417-1418
- Endotheliopathy in COVID-19-associated coagulopathy: evidence from a single-centre, cross-sectional study.Lancet Haematol. 2020 Aug; 7: e575-e582
- Hampton's hump.BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Nov 6; 2013bcr2013201789
- Pulmonary embolism rate in patients infected with SARS-CoV-2.Blood Res. 2020 Dec 31; 55: 275-278
- Forty Postmortem Examinations in COVID-19 Patients.Am J Clin Pathol. 2020 Nov 4; 154: 748-760
- Radiographic features of pulmonary embolism: Hampton's hump.Postgrad Med J. 2014; 90: 420-421
AA Frazier JR Galvin TJ Franks et al From the archives of the AFIP: pulmonary vasculature: hypertension and infarction. Radiographics. 20 (2): 491–5.
- Pulmonary arterial thrombosis in COVID-19 with fatal outcome: results from a prospective, single-center, clinicopathologic case series.Ann Intern Med. 2020 Sep 1; 173: 350-361
- Relation between chest CT findings and clinical conditions of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pneumonia: a multicenter study.Am J Roentgenol. 2020; 214: 1072-1077
- Pulmonary vascular manifestations of COVID-19 pneumonia.Radiol Cardiothorac Imaging. 2020; 2e200277
- Spectrum of chest dual-energy computed tomography findings in COVID patients in North India.Cureus. 2021 Jan 4; 13e12489
- Spectrum of lung perfusion changes on dual-energy CT in COVID-19: incremental benefit to conventional CT.Emerg Radiol. 2021 Jan 8; : 1-5
- Beyond the clot: perfusion imaging of the pulmonary vasculature after COVID-19.Lancet Respir Med. 2021 Jan; 9: 107-116
- 19..Clin Nucl Med. 2020 Dec; 45: e523-e524