- •Public health crises like the COVID-19 pandemic can exacerbate existing health disparities related to social determinants of health.
- •Radiology departments have a central role in mitigating emerging health disparities exacerbated during crises, like the COVID-19 pandemic.
- •Our response can be enhanced using the modified health disparity research framework (HDRF): Detecting, Understanding, Reducing, Evaluating.
- •This modified HDRF can aid in ensuring that a rapid response to crisis is also an equitable response for those most vulnerable.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC.2003
- Health care in New Orleans before and after hurricane Katrina: the storm of 2005 exposed problems that had existed for years and made solutions more complex and difficult to obtain.Health Aff. 2006; 25: 393-406
- Removing barriers and disparities in health: lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic.Nat Rev Rheumatol. Oct 7 2020; ([Internet]) (Available from:): 1-2https://doi.org/10.1038/%0Ds41584-020-00524-8
- Available from:)Health Equity Considerations & Racial & Ethnic Minority Groups (Updated July 24, 2020). 2019. 2020: 18-21 (
- 2020: 1-9 COVID-19 health inequity task force report.
- COVID-19 and health equity—a new kind of “herd immunity.”.JAMA. Jun 23 2020; 323 (Available from:): 2478
Economic Policy Institute. Black workers face two of the most lethal preexisting conditions for coronavirus—racism and economic inequality. Econ Policy Inst [Internet]. Available from: https://www.epi.org/publication/black-workers-covid/externalicon.
- Variables influencing radiology volume recovery during the next phase of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17 ([Internet]. Available from:): 855-864https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2020.05.026
- Radiology department preparedness for COVID-19: radiology scientific expert panel.Radiology. Mar 16 2020; 80 (Available from:)200988
- Transcreation: an implementation science framework for community-engaged behavioral interventions to reduce health disparities.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18: 1-15
- Toward a fourth generation of disparities research to achieve health equity.Annu Rev Public Health. 2011; 32: 399-416
- Advancing health disparities research within the health care system: a conceptual framework.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 2113-2121
- Harnessing implementation science to increase the impact of health equity research.Med Care. Sep 2017; 55 (Available from:)
- RE-AIM planning and evaluation framework: adapting to new science and practice with a 20-year review.Front Public Heal. Mar 29 2019; 7 (Available from:)
- RadTranslate: an artificial intelligence–powered intervention for urgent imaging to enhance care equity for patients with limited English proficiency during the COVID-19 pandemic.J Am Coll Radiol. 2021; ([Internet]) (Available from:)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2021.01.013
- Racial and ethnic disparities in radiology: a call to action.J Am Coll Radiol. 2019; 16 ([Internet]) (Available from:): 547-553https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2018.12.024
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Cases in MA.Massachusetts Dep Public Heal, April 22, 2020
- The National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities research framework.Am J Public Health. 2019; 109: S16-S20
- Longitudinal analysis of Racial/Ethnic trends in quality outcomes in community health centers, 2009–2014.J Gen Intern Med. 2018; 33: 906-913
- Translating community-based participatory research (CBPR) principles into practice: building a research agenda to reduce intimate partner violence.Prog Community Heal Partnersh. 2014; 7: 115-122
- Connecting the dots: health information technology expansion and health disparities.PLoS Med. 2015; 12: 3-7
https://www.radtranslate.com. 2020; 2–3.
- Structural interventions to reduce and eliminate health disparities.Am J Public Health. 2019; 109: S72-S78