- •The type, incidence and severity of CEM artifacts differ between equipment vendors.
- •Vendor specific algorithms that create DE CEM images may play an important role.
- •Research into the clinical impact of CEM artifacts is needed.
- •“Cloudy fat” may mask or mimic subtly enhancing lesions.
- •Archiving raw LE and HE image data could allow re-processing and machine learning.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Effects of age, breast density, ethnicity, and estrogen replacement therapy on screening mammographic sensitivity and cancer stage at diagnosis: review of 183,134 screening mammograms in Albuquerque, New Mexico.Radiology. 1998; 209: 511-518
- Contrast mammography in clinical practice: current uses and potential diagnostic dilemmas.Clin Imaging. 2021; 71: 126-135
- A meta-analysis of contrast-enhanced spectral mammography versus MRI in the diagnosis of breast cancer.Thorac. Cancer. 2020; 11: 1423-1432
- Dual-energy contrast-enhanced digital mammography: initial clinical results.Eur Radiol. 2011; 21: 565-574
- Technical evaluation of contrast enhanced mammography functions of GE essential system.(Available from)https://medphys.royalsurrey.nhs.uk/nccpm/files/other/NCCPM_TechEval_CESMGE_Essential_Report2001.pdfDate: 2020
- Technical evaluation of contrast enhanced mammography functions using Hologic I-view software. National co-ordinating Centre for the physics of mammography.(Available from:)https://medphys.royalsurrey.nhs.uk/nccpm/files/other/Tech_Eval_CESM_Hologic3Dimensions_Final.pdfDate: 2020
- Challenges in contrast enhanced spectral mammography interpretation: artefacts lexicon.Clin Radiol. 2016; 71: 450-457
- Australian New Zealand clinical trials registry.in: Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry. [Clinical Trials Registry]. 2019 ([cited 22nd December 2019]. Available from:)
- Artefacts in CEDM.2018: 75-91
- Artefacts in contrast enhanced digital mammography: how can they affect diagnostic image quality and confuse clinical diagnosis?.Insights Imaging. 2020; 1116
- Contrast-enhanced spectral mammography: modality-specific artifacts and other factors which may interfere with image quality.Acad Radiol. 2017; 24: 89-94
- Navigating contrast-enhanced digital mammography.Appl Radiol. 2017; 46: 21-28
- Contamination artifact that mimics in-situ carcinoma on contrast-enhanced digital mammography.Eur J Radiol. 2017; 95: 147-154
- The estimation and significance of the logarithm of a ratio of frequencies.Ann Hum Genet. 1956; 20: 309-311
- Analysing data and undertaking metaanalyses.in: Higgins J. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. 2019: 241-284
- Digital mammographic artifacts on full-field systems: what are they and how do I fix them?.Radiographics. 2008; 28: 1999-2008
Sorin V, Yagil Y, Shalmon A, Gotlieb M, Faermann R, Halshtok-Neiman O, et al. Background parenchymal enhancement at contrast-enhanced spectral mammography (CESM) as a breast cancer risk factor. Acad Radiol.
- Could parenchymal enhancement on contrast-enhanced spectral mammography (CESM) represent a new breast cancer risk factor? Correlation with known radiology risk factors.Clin Radiol. 2017; 72 ([e1-.e9]): 1085
- Histopathologic characteristics of background parenchymal enhancement (BPE) on breast MRI.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 172: 487-496
☆The authors declare the following financial interests/personal relationships which may be considered as potential competing interests: GE provided our unit with CEM equipment for the first 5 months of one of our research projects but have not had any influence on the design or conduct of any research. Dr. Taylor has previously received sponsorship from GE to attend a CEM users meeting. The remaining authors have no interests to declare.