- •Contrast agent retention feature can predict papillary thyroid cancer with 100% specificity.
- •The existence of CAR features can be confirmed by quantitative analysis of the TIC curves.
- •The number of tumor cells and microvessel density in the retention group were higher than those in the non-retention group.
Abbreviations:CEUS (contrast-enhanced ultrasound), CAR (contrast agent retention), PTC (papillary thyroid carcinoma), CNB (core needle biopsy), FNA (fine needle aspiration), IOD (integrated optical density), PPV (positive predictive value), NPV (negative predictive value), TIC (time-intensity curve), PI (peak intensity), MSCWO (maximum slope coefficient of washout), EILS (enhancement intensity during the late stage of enhancement), TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), A-TG (thyroglobulin antibody), A-TPO (thyroid peroxidase antibody)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 2015 American thyroid association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: the American thyroid association guidelines task force on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer.Thyroid. 2016; 26: 1-133https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2015.0020
- Managing incidental thyroid nodules detected on imaging: white paper of the ACR incidental thyroid findings committee.J Am Coll Radiol. 2015; 12: 143-150https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2014.09.038
- A 64-year-old woman with a thyroid nodule.Jama. 2004; 292: 2632-2642https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.292.21.2632
- Clinical practice. The thyroid nodule.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1764-1771https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMcp031436
- Diagnostic performance of combined elastosonography scoring and high-resolution ultrasonography for the differentiation of benign and malignant thyroid nodules.Eur J Radiol. 2013; 82: 995-1001https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2013.02.002
- Can vascularity at power Doppler US help predict thyroid malignancy?.Radiology. 2010; 255: 260-269https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.09091284
- Diagnostic accuracy of contrast-enhanced ultrasound enhancement patterns for thyroid nodules.Med Sci Monit. 2016; 22: 4755-4764https://doi.org/10.12659/msm.899834
- Diagnostic value of contrast-enhanced ultrasound in solid thyroid nodules with and without enhancement.Endocrine. 2016; 53: 480-488https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-015-0850-0
- Comparison of diagnostic efficacy of contrast-enhanced ultrasound, acoustic radiation force impulse imaging, and their combined use in differentiating focal solid thyroid nodules.PloS one. 2014; 9e90674https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0090674
- Utility of contrast-enhanced ultrasound for evaluation of thyroid nodules.Thyroid. 2010; 20: 51-57https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2009.0045
- Prospective comparative evaluation of quantitative-elastosonography (Q-elastography) and contrast-enhanced ultrasound for the evaluation of thyroid nodules: preliminary experience.Eur J Radiol. 2013; 82: 1892-1898https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2013.07.005
- The EFSUMB guidelines and recommendations for the clinical practice of contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) in non-hepatic applications: update 2017 (long version).Ultraschall Med. 2018; 39: e2-e44https://doi.org/10.1055/a-0586-1107
- Italian consensus on diagnosis and treatment of differentiated thyroid cancer: joint statements of six Italian societies.J Endocrinol Invest. 2018; 41: 849-876https://doi.org/10.1007/s40618-018-0884-2
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound for differentiation of benign and malignant thyroid lesions: meta-analysis.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014; 151: 909-915https://doi.org/10.1177/0194599814555838
- Diagnostic performances of various gray-scale, color Doppler, and contrast-enhanced ultrasonography findings in predicting malignant thyroid nodules.Thyroid. 2014; 24: 355-363https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2013.0150
- Comparative study of thyroid puncture biopsy guided by contrast-enhanced ultrasonography and conventional ultrasound.Exp Ther Med. 2013; 5: 1381-1384https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2013.1016
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound in the diagnosis of solitary thyroid nodules.J Cancer Res Ther. 2015; 11: 41-45https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.147382
- Usefulness of combined use of contrast-enhanced ultrasound and TI-RADS classification for the differentiation of benign from malignant lesions of thyroid nodules.Eur Radiol. 2017; 27: 1527-1536https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-016-4508-y
- The diagnostic accuracy of contrast-enhanced ultrasound for the differentiation of benign and malignant thyroid nodules: a PRISMA compliant meta-analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2018; 97e13325https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000013325
- The morphological analysis of vasculature in thyroid tumours: immunoexpression of CD34 antigen.Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 2004; 42: 235-240
- Vascular endothelial growth factor gene and protein: strong expression in thyroiditis and thyroid carcinoma.J Endocrinol. 1999; 161: 41-49
- Increased angiogenesis in papillary thyroid carcinoma but lack of prognostic importance.Hum Pathol. 2000; 31: 439-442https://doi.org/10.1053/1-ip.2000.6548