- •There is sparse literature describing patterns of missed findings on head imaging.
- •We review report addenda over 5 years, summarizing revealed patterns of detection error.
- •Attention to recurring and common blind spots may reduce diagnostic error.
Abbreviations:CT (computed tomography), CPT (current procedural terminology), CSF (cerebrospinal fluid), MCA (middle cerebral artery)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- To err is human: building a safer health system.National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)2000 (Copyright 2000 by the National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved)
- Medical error-the third leading cause of death in the US.Bmj. 2016; 353: i2139
- Image perception and interpretation of abnormalities; can we believe our eyes? Can we do something about it?.Insights Imaging. 2011; 2: 47-55
- On the scientific evaluation of diagnostic procedures.Radiology. 1949; 52: 309-328
- Accuracy of diagnostic procedures: has it improved over the past five decades?.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 188: 1173-1178
- Interpretive error in radiology.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017; 208: 739-749
- Error and discrepancy in radiology: inevitable or avoidable?.Insights Imaging. 2017; 8: 171-182
- Diagnostic errors in abdominopelvic CT interpretation: characterization based on report addenda.Abdom Radiol (NY). 2016; 41: 1793-1799
- Pitfalls in chest radiographic interpretation: blind spots.Semin Roentgenol. 2015; 50: 197-209
- Missed lung cancer: when, where, and why?.Diagn Interv Radiol. 2017; 23: 118-126
- Radiology resident evaluation of head CT scan orders in the emergency department.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2002; 23: 103-107
- Head trauma: CT scan interpretation by radiology residents versus staff radiologists.Radiology. 1998; 208: 125-128
- Discrepancy rates of on-call radiology residents’ interpretations of CT angiography studies of the neck and circle of Willis.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009; 193: 527-532
- Analysis of missed cases of abusive head trauma.JAMA. 1999; 281: 621-626
- Head computed tomography in the emergency department: a collection of easily missed findings that are life-threatening or life-changing.J Emerg Med. 2014; 47: 646-659
- Overlooked metastatic lesions of the occipital condyle: a missed case treasure trove.Radiographics. 1997; 17: 1111-1121
ACR Practice Parameter for Communication of Diagnostic Imaging Findings. American College of Radiology, (Revised 2020, Resolution 37).
- Understanding and confronting our mistakes: the epidemiology of error in radiology and strategies for error reduction.Radiographics. 2015; 35: 1668-1676
- Implementation of checklists in health care; learning from high-reliability organisations.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2011; 19: 53
- Efficacy of a checklist-style structured radiology reporting template in reducing resident misses on cervical spine computed tomography examinations.J Digit Imaging. 2014; 27: 588-593
- Perspective: a culture of respect, part 2: creating a culture of respect.Acad Med. 2012; 87: 853-858
- Human error: models and management.West J Med. 2000; 172: 393-396