Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Gutwein L, Gang DN, Liu H. Utilization of minimally invasive breast biopsy for the evaluation of suspicious breast lesions. Am J Surg 2011; 202:127–132. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2010.09.005.
Allred DC, Mohsin SK, Fuqua SA. Histological and biological evolution of human premalignant breast disease. Endocr Relat Cancer 2001; 8:47–61. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1677/erc.0.0080047.
- Understanding the premalignant potential of atypical hyperplasia through its natural history: a longitudinal cohort study.Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2014; 7: 211-217https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-13-0222
Bombonati AS, Groi DC. The molecular pathology of breast cancer progression. J Pathol 2011; 223:307–317. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/path.2808.
- Atypical hyperplasia of the breast—risk assessment and management options.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 78-89https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsr1407164
- Diagnosis and management of high-risk breast lesions.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2018; 16 (Nov): 1391-1396https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2018.7099
Lavoué V, Bertel C, Tas P, Bendavid C, et al. Atypical epithelial hyperplasia of the breast: current state of knowledge and clinical practice. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod 2010; 39(1):11–24. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgyn.2009.09.007.
- Upgrade rates of high-risk breast lesions diagnosed on core needle biopsy: a single-institution experience and literature review.Mod Pathol. 2016; 29: 1471-1484https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2016.127
- Management of high-risk breast lesions.Radiol Clin North Am. 2021; 59 (Jan): 29-40https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcl.2020.08.005
Tavassoli FA, Schnitt SJ, Hoefler H, et al. Intraductal proliferative lesions. In: Tavassoli FA, Devilee P, eds. World Health Organization pathology and genetics tumours of the breast and female genital organs. Lyon: IARC Publishing Group; 2003.
- Flat epithelial atypia of the breast: characteristics and behaviors.Am J Surg. 2011 Feb; 201 (doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2010.02.009): 245-250
- Management of flat epithelial atypia on breast core biopsy may be individualized based on correlation with imaging studies.Mod Pathol. 2015; 28 (May): 670-676https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2014.159
- Columnar cell lesions of the breast.Adv Anat Pathol. 2003 May; 10 (Review. PubMed PMID: 12717115): 113-124
- Interobserver reproducibility in the diagnosis of flat epithelial atypia of the breast.Mod Pathol. 2006; 19 (Feb): 172-179https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3800514
- Flat epithelial atypia.in: Lakhani S.R. Ellis I.O. Schnitt S.J. World Health Organization classification of tumours of the breast. 4th ed. International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), Lyon (France)2012: 87
- Flat epithelial atypia in breast core needle biopsies with radiologic-pathologic concordance: is excision necessary?.Am J Surg Pathol. 2020; 44 (Feb): 182-190https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0000000000001385
- Clinical and pathologic features of ductal carcinoma in situ associated with the presence of flat epithelial atypia: an analysis of 543 patients.Mod Pathol. 2007; 20 (Nov): 1149-1155https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3800949
- Assessment of lesions coexisting with various grades of ductal intraepithelial neoplasia of the breast.Virchows Arch. 2004; 444: 340-344https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-004-0976-6
- Cancerization of small ectatic ducts of the breast by ductal carcinoma in situ cells with apocrine snouts: a lesion associated with tubular carcinoma.Am J Clin Pathol. 1997; 107: 561-566https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/107.5.561
- Tubular carcinoma of the breast and associated intra-epithelial lesions: a comparative study with invasive low-grade ductal carcinomas.Virchows Arch. 2005; 447: 683-687https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-005-0018-z
Brandt SM, Young GQ, Hoda SA. The “Rosen Triad”: tubular carcinoma, lobular carcinoma in situ, and columnar cell lesions. Adv Anat Pathol 2008; 15:140–6. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/PAP.0b013e31816ff313.
Schnitt SJ, Collins LC. Columnar cell lesions and flat epithelial atypia. In: Biopsy interpretation of the breast. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013. p. 107–35.
D'Orsi CJ, Sickles EA, Mendelson EB, Morris EA, et al. ACR BI-RADS atlas, breast imaging reporting and data system. Reston, VA. Am Coll Radiol 2013.
- Flat epithelial atypia of the breast: pathological-radiological correlation.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011; 197 (Sep): 740-746https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.10.5265
- Flat epithelial atypia on core needle biopsy does not always mandate excisional biopsy.Breast J. 2020 Apr; 26 (Epub 2019 Sep 28. PMID: 31562689): 679-684https://doi.org/10.1111/tbj.13507
- Sonographic features of flat epithelial atypia manifesting as a non-mass-like lesion: a case report.Am J Case Rep. 2019; 20 (Mar 15): 340-344https://doi.org/10.12659/AJCR.914178
- High-risk lesions diagnosed at MRI-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy: imaging characteristics, outcome of surgical excision or imaging follow-up.Breast Cancer. 2020 May; 27 (Epub 2019 Dec 14. PMID: 31838725): 405-414https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-019-01032-8
- Our radiological experience on B3 lesions: correlation between mammographic and MRI findings with histologic definitive result.Clin Breast Cancer. 2019 Oct; 19 (Epub 2019 Jun 26. PMID: 31377083): e643-e653https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clbc.2019.06.004
- Flat epithelial atypia: are we being too aggressive?.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2020; 179 (Jan): 511-517https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-019-05481-9
Verschuur-Maes AH, van Deurzen CH, Monninkhof EM, et al. Columnar cell lesions on breast needle biopsies: is surgical excision necessary? A systematic review. Ann Surg 2012;255(2): 259–65. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e318233523f.
- Flat epithelial atypia with and without atypical ductal hyperplasia: to re-excise or not. Results of a 5-year prospective study.Virchows Arch. 2012; 461: 419-423https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-012-1312-1
- Trends in frequency and outcome of high-risk breast lesions at core needle biopsy in women recalled at biennial screening mammography, a multi institutional study.Int J Cancer. 2019; 145: 2720-2727https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.32353
- Magnetic resonance-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy: results in 100 Japanese women.Jpn J Radiol. 2010; 28: 527-533https://doi.org/10.1007/s11604-010-0464-7
- Frequency, upgrade rates, and characteristics of high-risk lesions initially identified with breast MRI.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010; 195: 792-798https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.09.4081
- High-risk lesions diagnosed at MRI-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy: can underestimation be predicted?.Eur Radiol. 2011; 21: 582-589https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-010-1949-6
- Magnetic resonance imaging-guided core needle breast biopsies resulting in high-risk histopathologic findings: upstage frequency and lesion characteristics.Clin Breast Cancer. 2015; 15: 234-239https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clbc.2014.12.005
Speer ME, Huang ML, Dogan BE, Adrada BE, Candelaria RP, Hess KR, et al. High-risk breast lesions identified on MRI-guided vacuum-assisted needle biopsy: outcome of surgical excision and imaging follow-up. Br J Radiol. 2018; 91:20180300. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.20180300.
- Outcome of high-risk lesions at MRI-guided 9-gauge vacuum- assisted breast biopsy.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014; 202 (Jan): 237-245https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.13.10600
- High risk breast lesions identified on MRI-guided vacuum-assisted needle biopsy: outcome of surgical excision and imaging follow-up.Br J Radiol. 2018 Oct; 9120180300https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.20180300
- Flat epithelial atypia on core needle biopsy, must we surgically excise?.Am J Surg. 2016 Dec; 212 (Epub 2016 Oct 29. PMID: 27832842): 1211-1213https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2016.09.019
- Clinical, imaging, and intervention factors associated with the upgrade of isolated flat epithelial atypia.Clin Imaging. 2019 Mar-Apr; 54 (Epub 2018 Nov 20. PMID: 30500455): 21-24https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2018.11.008
- All pure flat atypical atypia lesions of the breast diagnosed using percutaneous vacuum-assisted breast biopsy do not need surgical excision.Breast. 2018 Aug; 40 (Epub 2018 Apr 14. PMID: 29665448): 4-9https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2018.03.012
- Does isolated flat epithelial atypia on vacuum-assisted breast core biopsy require surgical excision?.Breast J. 2014 Nov-Dec; 20 (Epub 2014 Sep 27. PMID: 25264188): 606-614https://doi.org/10.1111/tbj.12332
- False-negative diagnoses at stereotactic vacuum-assisted needle breast biopsy: long-term follow-up of 1,280 lesions and review of the literature.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009; 192: 341-351
- Is excisional biopsy needed for pure FEA diagnosed on a core biopsy?.Am Surg. 2020 Sep; 86 (Epub 2020 Aug 20. PMID: 32816560): 1088-1090https://doi.org/10.1177/0003134820943546
- Consensus guideline on concordance assessment of image-guided breast biopsies and management of borderline or high-risk lesions.https://www.breastsurgeons.org/docs/statements/Consensus-Guideline-on-Concordance-Assessment-of-Image-Guided-Breast-Biopsies.pdfDate: November 2, 2016
- Second International Consensus Conference on lesions of uncertain malignant potential in the breast (B3 lesions).Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019; 174 (Apr): 279-296https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-018-05071-1
Carrilo M, Maturana G, Maiz C, Romero D, Domínguez F, Oddó D, Villarroel A, Razmilic D, Navarro ME, León A, Sánchez C, Camus M. Breast lesions with atypia in percutaneous biopsies, managed with surgery in the last 10 years. Ecancermedicalscience. 2019 Apr 11; 13:923. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3332/ecancer.2019.923.
- Flat epithelial atypia on core biopsy and upgrade to cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Surg Oncol. 2017; 24 (Nov): 3549-3558https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-017-6059-0
- Columnar cell lesions and subsequent breast cancer risk: a nested case-control study.Breast Cancer Res. 2010; 12R61https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr2624
- Histologic associations and long-term cancer risk in columnar cell lesions of the breast: a retrospective cohort and a nested case-control study.Cancer. 2008; 113 (Nov 1): 2415-2421https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23873
- Lobular intraepithelial neoplasia: outcomes and optimal management.Breast J. 2020; 26 (Dec): 2383-2390
- Update 2010 of the German AGO recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of early and metastatic breast cancer - chapter B: prevention, early detection, lifestyle, premalignant lesions, DCIS, recurrent and metastatic breast cancer.Breast Care (Basel). 2010; 5: 345-351
- Breast cancer risk reduction, version 2.2015.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2015; 13 (Jul): 880-915
- Flat epithelial atypia and risk of breast cancer: a Mayo cohort study.Cancer. 2015; 121 (May 15): 1548-1555https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.29243