- •Nearly all calcifications are more conspicuous on synthetic mammography.
- •Nearly all architectural distortions are more conspicuous on synthetic mammography.
- •43% non-calcified, non-distorted lesions have reduced visibility on synthetic mammography.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Breast cancer screening using tomosynthesis in combination with digital mammography.JAMA. 2014; 311: 2499-2507
- Clinical performance metrics of 3D digital breast tomosynthesis compared with 2D digital mammography for breast cancer screening in community practice.AJR. 2014; 203: 687-693
- Increased cancer detection rate and variations in recall rate from implementation of 3D digital breast tomosynthesis into a population-based screening program.Radiology. 2016; 278: 698-706
- Breast cancer screening using tomosynthesis in combination with digital mammography compared to digital mammography alone: a cohort study within the PROSPR consortium.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016; 156: 109-116
- Comparing diagnostic performance of digital breast tomosynthesis and full-field digital mammography in a hybrid screening environment.AJR. 2017; 209: 929-934
- Comparison of tomosynthesis plus digital mammography and digital mammography alone for breast cancer screening.Radiology. 2013; 269: 694-700
- Implementation of breast tomosynthesis in a routine screening practice: an observational study.AJR. 2013; 200: 1401-1408
- Screening outcomes following implementation of digital breast tomosynthesis in a general-population screening program.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014; 106: 1-7
- Early clinical experience with digital breast tomosynthesis for screening mammography.Radiology. 2015; 24: 85-92
- Changes in recall type and patient treatment following implementation of screening digital breast tomosynthesis.Radiology. 2015; 274: 337-342
- Clinical implementation of digital breast tomosynthesis.Radiol Clin North Am. 2014; 52: 499-518
- Digital breast tomosynthesis: state of the art.Radiology. 2015; 277: 663-684
- Strengths and weaknesses of synthetic mammography in screening.RadioGraphics. 2017; 37: 1913-1927
Smith A. Synthesized 2D mammographic imaging: theory and clinical performance. Hologic. http://www.lowdose3d.com/images/C-View-White-Paper.pdf. Published 2016. accessed May 24, 2020.
- Two-view digital breast tomosynthesis screening with synthetically reconstructed projection images: comparison with digital breast tomosynthesis with full-field digital mammographic images.Radiology. 2014; 271: 655-663
- The TOMMY trial: a comparison of TOMosynthesis with digital MammographY in the UK NHS Breast Cancer Screening Programme-a multicentre retrospective reading study comparing the diagnostic performance of digital breast tomosynthesis and digital mammography with digital mammography alone.Health Technol Assess. 2015; 19 (i-xxv): 1-136
- Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis (3D mammography) with acquired or synthetic 2D mammography compared with 2D mammography alone (STORM-2): a population-based prospective study.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 1105-1113
- Implementation of synthesized two-dimensional mammography in a population-based digital breast tomosynthesis screening program.Radiology. 2016; 281: 730-736
- Survey results regarding uptake and impact of synthetic digital mammography with tomosynthesis in the screening setting.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17: 31-37
- ACR BI-RADS follow-up and outcome monitoring 2013.in: D’Orsi C.J. Sickles E.A. Mendelson E.B. ACR BI-RADS Atlas Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System. 5th ed. American College of Radiology, Reston, VA2013
- Positive predictive value of specific mammographic findings according to reader and patient variables.Radiology. 2009; 250: 648-657
- Comparison of synthetic mammography, reconstructed from digital breast tomosynthesis, and digital mammography: evaluation of lesion conspicuity and BI-RADS assessment categories.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2017; 166: 765-773
- Performance of 2D synthetic mammography versus digital mammography in the detection of microcalcifications at screening.AJR. 2020; 214: 1436-1444
- Comparison of synthetic and digital mammography with digital breast tomosynthesis or alone for the detection and classification of microcalcifications.Eur Radiol. 2019; 29: 319-329
- Comparison between two-dimensional synthetic mammography reconstructed from digital breast tomosynthesis and full-field digital mammography for the detection of T1 breast cancer.Eur Radiol. 2016; 26: 2538-2546
- Conspicuity of screen-detected malignancies on full field digital mammography versus synthetic mammography.Acad Radiol. 2019; (S1076-6332(19)30312-5)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2019.06.008