- •Benign and malignant calcifications can develop in the ipsilateral breast after BCS.
- •PPV of sampled calcifications following BCS for non-calcified primary was 12.8%.
- •PPV of sampled calcifications following BCS for calcified primary was 38.5%.
- •Suspicious calcifications following BCS require biopsy.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prognostic and predictive factors in early-stage breast cancer.Oncologist. 2004; 9: 606-616
- Eight-year results of a randomized clinical trial comparing total mastectomy and lumpectomy with or without irradiation in the treatment of breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 822-828
- Ten-year results of a randomized trial comparing a conservative treatment to mastectomy in early breast cancer.Radiother Oncol. 1989; 14: 177-184
- Twenty-year follow-up of a randomized study comparing breast-conserving surgery with radical mastectomy for early breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1227-1232
- New trends in breast cancer surgery: a therapeutic approach increasingly efficacy and respectful of the patient.G Chir. 2015; 36: 145-152
- Increasing trends in the use of breast-conserving surgery in California.Am J Public Health. 2000; 90: 281-284
- The mammographic spectrum of fat necrosis of the breast.Radiographics. 1995; 15: 1347-1356
- Breast microcalcifications after lumpectomy and radiation therapy.Radiology. 1989; 170: 691-693
- Comparison of rate of development and rate of change for benign and malignant breast calcifications at the lumpectomy bed.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2000; 175: 789-793
- Mammographic detection of recurrent cancer in the irradiated breast.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1987; 148: 39-43
- Early breast cancer: detection of recurrence after conservative surgery and radiation therapy.Radiology. 1990; 176: 731-735
- Local tumor recurrence following breast-conservation therapy: correlation of histopathologic findings with detection method and mammographic findings.Radiology. 1999; 212: 829-835
- Mammographic findings of recurrent breast cancer after lumpectomy and radiation therapy: comparison with the primary tumor.Radiology. 1996; 201: 767-771
- Biopsy results of new calcifications in the postirradiated breast.Cancer. 1989; 63: 1956-1961
- Time-course of local recurrence following conservative surgery and radiotherapy for early stage breast cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1988; 15: 255-261
- Management of microcalcifications developing at the lumpectomy bed after conservative surgery and radiation therapy.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 188: 393-398
- Patterns of mammographically detected calcifications after breast-conserving therapy associated with tumor recurrence.Cancer. 1997; 79: 1355-1361
- Mammographic features of local recurrence in women who have undergone breast-conserving therapy for ductal carcinoma in situ.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1997; 168: 489-493
- Full-field digital versus screen-film mammography: comparative accuracy in concurrent screening cohorts.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 189: 860-866
- Calcifications in digital mammographic screening: improvement of early detection of invasive breast cancers?.Radiology. 2010; 255: 738-745
- Differentiation of benign and malignant local tumor recurrence after lumpectomy.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1990; 155: 35-38