- •A new table summarized clinical features that characterized the IPMN as malignant.
- •Meta-analysis compares the diagnostic performance of all possible imaging modalities for differentiation of malignant IPMNs.
- •Both PET/CT and DWI performed better diagnostic accuracy in the detection of malignant IPMN.
- •It is the first meta-analysis to investigate the different imaging modalities in benign and malignant diagnosis of IPMN.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:AUC (area under the curve), BD (branch-duct), CI (confidence intervals), CT (computed tomography), DOR (diagnostic odds ratios), CNKI (China National Knowledge Infrastructure), DWI (diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging), EUS (endoscopic ultrasound), FPs (false-positives), FNs (false-negatives), IPMN (intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm), MD (main-duct), MPD (main pancreatic duct), MRCP (magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography), MRI/MRCP (magnetic resonance imaging), PET/CT (positron emission tomography with computed tomography), QUADAS-2 (quality assessment for diagnostic accuracy study form), SROCs (summary receiver operating characteristic curves), TPs (true-positives), TNs (true-negatives)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Primary cystic neoplasms of the pancreas. Neoplastic disorders of emerging importance-current state-of-the-art and unanswered questions.J Gastrointest Surg. 2003; 7: 417-428
- Cystic lesions and intraductal neoplasms of the pancreas.Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2009; 23: 35-48
- International consensus guidelines 2012 for the management of IPMN and MCN of the pancreas.Pancreatology. 2012; 12: 183-197
- European experts consensus statement on cystic tumours of the pancreas.Dig Liver Dis. 2013; 45: 703-711
- Pathological features and diagnosis of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas.World J Gastrointestinal Oncol. 2014; 6: 311-324
- Main-duct intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas: clinical predictors of malignancy and long-term survival following resection.Ann Surg. 2004; 239 ([discussion 85-7]): 678-685
- Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas: an updated experience.Ann Surg. 2004; 239: 788-799
- Malignant progression in IPMN: a cohort analysis of patients initially selected for resection or observation.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 440-447
- Proper management and follow-up strategy of branch duct intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas.Dig Liver Dis. 2012; 44: 257-260
- QUADAS-2: a revised tool for the quality assessment of diagnostic accuracy studies.Ann Intern Med. 2011; 155: 529-536
- Distinguishing benign from malignant intraductal papillary mucinous tumors of the pancreas by imaging techniques.Pancreas. 2004; 29: 212-217
- Diagnostic performance and imaging features for predicting the malignant potential of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas: a comparison of EUS, contrast-enhanced CT and MRI.Abdominal Radiol (New York). 2017; 42: 1449-1458
- Diagnosis and patient management of intraductal papillary-mucinous tumor of the pancreas by using peroral pancreatoscopy and intraductal ultrasonography.Gastroenterology. 2002; 122: 34-43
- The utility of F-18 FDG PET/CT in the evaluation of pancreatic intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm.Clin Nucl Med. 2010; 35: 776-779
- Assessment of malignant potential in Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas: comparison between multidetector CT and MR imaging with MR Cholangiopancreatography.Radiology. 2016; 279: 128-139
- Clinicopathological features of malignant intraductal papillary mucinous tumors of the pancreas: the differential diagnosis from benign entities.Arch Surg. 2004; 139: 188-192
- Determining malignant potential of Intraductal papillary mutinous neoplasm of the pancreas: CT versus MRI by using revised 2017 international consensus guidelines.Radiology. 2019; 293: 134-143
- Criteria for determining malignancy in pancreatic Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm based on computed tomography.Digestion. 2016; 94: 230-239
- The value of (18)F-FDG positron emission tomography to differentiate benign from malignant intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms: a prospective multicenter study.J Visc Surg. 2020; 157: 387-394
- Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of pancreas: multi-detector row CT with 2D curved reformations—correlation with MRCP.Radiology. 2006; 238: 560-569
- Validation of the 2012 international consensus guidelines using computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging: branch duct and main duct intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas.Ann Surg. 2016; 263: 557-564
- Searching for indicators of malignancy in pancreatic intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms: the value of 18FDG-PET confirmed.Ann Surg Oncol. 2012; 19: 3574-3580
- Value of diffusion-weighted MRI for differentiating malignant from benign intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014; 203: 992-1000
- Added value of diffusion-weighted imaging to MR cholangiopancreatography with unenhanced mr imaging for predicting malignancy or invasiveness of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas.J Magn Resonance Imaging. 2013; 38: 555-563
- Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas: evaluation of malignant potential and surgical resectability by using MR imaging with MR cholangiography.Radiology. 2015; 274: 723-733
- Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of pancreas: multi-detector row CT with 20 curved reformations - correlation with MRCP.Radiology. 2006; 238: 560-569
- Diagnostic value of MRI in the differentiation of benign and malilgnant intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm.Contemp Med Forum. 2018; 16: 170-171
- Clinical value of MRI in benign and malignant differential diagnosis of IPMN.Practical J Cancer. 2017; 32: 1208-1210
- Diagnostic value of MRI in the differentiation of benign and malignant IPMN China rural health.vol. 05. 2017: 60-61
- Diagnostic value of MRI in the differentiation of benign and malignant IPMN.Shenzhen J Integr Traditional Ch Western Med. 2016; 26: 68-70
- Intraductal papillary-mucinous tumors of the pancreas: differential diagnosis between benign and malignant tumors by endoscopic ultrasonography.Am J Gastroenterol. 2001; 96: 1429-1434
Hayashi M, Mikata R, Horikoshi T, Senoo J, Kusakabe Y, Ohyama H, et al. Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging and 18-Fluorodeoxglucose positron emission tomography with computed tomography for evaluating malignancy of branch duct and mixed type Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas. Pancreas. 2019;48(5):e43-e5.
- Usefulness of positron emission tomography (PET)/contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CE-CT) in discriminating between malignant and benign intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMNs).Pancreatology. 2017; 17: 911-919
- Does PET with CT have clinical utility in the management of patients with intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm?.J Am Coll Surg. 2015; 221: 48-56
- Use of F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography with dual-phase imaging to identify intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 11: 181-186
- Additional value of FDG PET/CT to contrast-enhanced CT in the differentiation between benign and malignant intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas with mural nodules.Ann Nucl Med. 2011; 25: 501-510
Tomimaru Y, Eguchi H, Tatsumi M, Kim T, Hama N, Wada H, et al. Clinical utility of 2-[18F] fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography in predicting World Health Organization grade in pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. 2015;vol. 157(2):269–76.
- Intravoxel incoherent motion diffusion-weighted MR imaging for characterization of focal pancreatic lesions.Radiology. 2014; 270: 444-453
- Diagnostic accuracy of diffusion restriction in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas in comparison with “high-risk stigmata” of the 2012 international consensus guidelines for prediction of the malignancy and invasiveness.Acta Radiol. 2017; 58: 1157-1166
- Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging for evaluating the histological degree of malignancy in patients with intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm.J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2014; 21: 801-808
- Value of apparent diffusion coefficient for predicting malignancy of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas.Diagn Interv Radiol. 2016; 22: 308-313
- Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of pancreas.N Am J Med Sci. 2015; 7: 160-175
- What is the best way to identify malignant transformation within pancreatic IPMN: a systematic review and meta-analyses.Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2015; 6e130
- Diffusion-weighted MR imaging of solid and cystic lesions of the pancreas.Radiographics. 2011; 31: E47-E64
- Diffusion-weighted imaging in the differential diagnosis of cystic lesions of the pancreas.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008; 191: 1115-1121
Igarashi T, Ashida H, Morikawa K, Enoki K, Ohki K, Kawakami G, et al. Evaluating the malignant potential of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas: added value of non-enhanced endoscopic ultrasound to supplement non-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging. Pol J Radiol. 2018;83:e426-e36.