- •To our knowledge, this is the first case report to describe an infundibulum at the origin of an accessory MCA.
- •It is important to differentiate infundibula from aneurysms as the work-up and management differs.
- •Infundibula typically do not require surgical intervention or follow-up imaging.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The progression of an infundibulum to aneurysm formation and rupture: case report and literature review.Neurosurgery. 1998; https://doi.org/10.1097/00006123-199812000-00107
- An angiographic study of incidence and morphology of infundibular dilatation of the posterior communicating artery.Neuroradiology. 1986; https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00341761
- An overview of intracranial aneurysms.McGill J Med. 2006; 9: 141-146
- Unruptured intracranial aneurysms: natural history, clinical outcome, and risks of surgical and endovascular treatment.Lancet. 2003; 362: 103-110https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)13860-3
- Radiographic and histologic demonstration of an aneurysm developing on the infundibulum of the posterior communicating artery. Case report.J Neurosurg. 1970; https://doi.org/10.3171/jns.1970.33.5.0591
- Caudate haemorrhage caused by pseudoaneurysm of accessory middle cerebral artery.BMJ Case Rep. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2015-213335
- Incidental bilateral accessory middle cerebral arteries on MR imaging and MR angiography.Diagnostic Interv Radiol. 2007; 13: 10-12
- Anomalies of the middle cerebral artery: accessory artery, duplication, and early bifurcation.AMERJROENTGENOL. 1973; https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.118.3.567
- Clinical vascular anatomy and variations.2001https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-10172-8
Miyasaka K, Wolpert SM, Prager RJ. n.d.. The association of cerebral aneurysms, infundibula, and intracranial arteriovenous malformations.
- Ruptured anterior cerebral artery aneurysm at the origin of the accessory middle cerebral artery-case report.vol. 51. 2011
- Duplicated middle cerebral artery origin with an aneurysm.Med (United States). 2018; 97https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000009947
- Infundibular widening mimicking anterior communicating artery aneurysm: report of 2 cases.J Neurosurg. 2013; 119: 243-246https://doi.org/10.3171/2013.3.JNS122058
- Report on the cooperative study of intracranial aneurysms and subarachnoid hemorrhage section viu, part 2. The results of intracranial surgery in the treatment of aneurysms.J Neurosurg. 1966; 25: 574-592
- Intracranial plaque enhancement in patients with cerebrovascular events on high-spatial-resolution MR images.Radiology. 2014; 271: 534-542https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.13122812
- Clinical interpretation of high-resolution vessel wall MRI of intracranial arterial diseases.Br J Radiol. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.20160496