Methods and materials
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- To err is human: building a safer health system.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2000
- Surgical pathology—second reviews, institutional reviews, audits, and correlations: what's out there? Error or diagnostic variation?.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2006; 130: 620-625
- Second opinion reviews for cancer diagnoses in anatomic pathology: a comprehensive cancer center's experience.Am J Clin Pathol. 2016; 146: 1
- Institutional pathology consultation.Am J Surg Pathol. 2004; 28: 399-402
- Secondary interpretation of CT examinations: frequency and payment in the Medicare fee-for-service population.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 1096-1101
- Volume and coverage of secondary imaging interpretation under Medicare, 2003 to 2016.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 1394-1400
- Second opinion readings on outside studies: should we bother?.Appl Radiol. 2012; 41
- Discrepancy rates and clinical impact of imaging secondary interpretations: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 1222-1231
- Radiologist-initiated double reading of abdominal CT: retrospective analysis of the clinical importance of changes to radiology reports.BMJ Qual Saf. 2016; 25: 595-603
- Second-opinion subspecialty consultations in musculoskeletal radiology.Am J Roentgenol. 2016; 206: 1217-1221
- Second-opinion consultations in neuroradiology.Radiology. 2010; 255: 135-141
- Added value of double reading in diagnostic radiology, a systematic review.Insights Imaging. 2018; 9: 287-301
- Effectiveness of second-opinion radiology consultations to reassess the cervical spine CT scans: a study on trauma patients referred to a tertiary-care hospital.Diagn Interv Radiol (Ankara, Turkey). 2015; 21: 423-427
Hall, S, Billing and coding overreads, outside reads and second interpretations — what radiologists need to know, Radiol Today, Vol. 19, No. 10, p.8, https://www.radiologytoday.net/archive/rt1018p8.shtml (Accessed 10/4/19).
- Double reading of outsourced CT/MR radiology reports: retrospective analysis.J Patient Saf. 2018; (Aug. 13. published online ahead of print)
- Curbside consults: practices, pitfalls and legal issues.Clin Imaging. 2019; 57: 83-86 at 85
☆Both Drs. Mezrich and Danda substantially contributed to the conception and design of the underlying study, were both substantially involved in preparing and submitting materials for obtaining IRB waiver, were both substantially involved in the data collection and analysis, were both substantially involved in the writing and revision/editing of the abstract and manuscript, have approved this final version of the manuscript, and agree to be accountable for the manuscripts contents.
☆The authors declare that they had full access to all of the data in this study and the authors take complete responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis.