- •Social media is changing how patients get information and interact with physicians.
- •Approximately 85% of radiologists use social media.
- •Most AI-related peer-reviewed publications are geared toward academic audiences.
- •Non-peer-reviewed media fills the void with misleading commentary.
- •Radiologists must lead, using social media, to educate patients and public.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
The impact of social media: Is it irreplaceable? [email protected] 2019. https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/impact-of-social-media/ (accessed February 4, 2020).
- Radiologists’ usage of social media: results of the RANSOM survey.J Digit Imaging. 2016; 29: 443-449https://doi.org/10.1007/s10278-016-9865-1
- Leveraging Facebook to brand radiology.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 1027-1032https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2018.02.015
- Use of social media in radiology education.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 190-200https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2017.09.010
- Using social media to share your radiology research: how effective is a blog post?.J Am Coll Radiol. 2015; 12: 760-765https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2015.03.048
- Women in radiology: creating a global mentorship network through social media.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 229-232https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2017.09.029
- Consumer health information seeking in social media: a literature review.Health Info Libr J. 2017; 34: 268-283https://doi.org/10.1111/hir.12192
Fox S. The Social Life of Health Information. Pew Research Center 2014. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/01/15/the-social-life-of-health-information/ (accessed February 4, 2020).
- Public awareness, perception, and use of online physician rating sites.JAMA. 2014; 311: 734-735https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.283194
- Popularity of internet physician rating sites and their apparent influence on patients’ choices of physicians.BMC Health Serv Res. 2015; 15: 416https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-015-1099-2
Is Social Media Changing the Doctor-patient Relationship? American Academy of Family Physicians 2018. https://www.aafp.org/news/practice-professional-issues/20180608commsurveys.html (accessed February 4, 2020).
Arnold A. How Social Media Usage Affects Doctor to Patient Relationships. Forbes 2018. https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewarnold/2018/11/07/how-social-media-usage-affects-doctor-to-patient-relationships/ (accessed February 4, 2020).
- New Power: How Power Works in our Hyperconnected World — and How to Make It Work for You.Doubleday, New York2018
- Questioning reliability assessments of health information on social media.J Med Libr Assoc. 2017; 105: 61-68https://doi.org/10.5195/JMLA.2017.108
- Why health professionals should speak out against false beliefs on the internet.AMA J Ethics. 2018; 20 (E1052–8)https://doi.org/10.1001/amajethics.2018.1052
Gyenes N, Mina AX. How misinfodemics spread disease. The Atlantic 2018. https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/08/how-misinfodemics-spread-disease/568921/ (accessed February 4, 2020).
- Artificial intelligence in radiology: the ecosystem essential to improving patient care.Clin Imaging. 2020; 59 (A3–6)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2019.08.001
- Artificial intelligence in medical imaging: threat or opportunity? Radiologists again at the forefront of innovation in medicine.Eur Radiol Exp. 2018; 2: 35https://doi.org/10.1186/s41747-018-0061-6
- Global trend in artificial intelligence-based publications in radiology from 2000 to 2018.Am J Roentgenol. 2019; 213: 1204-1206https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.19.21346
Brooks L, Arnold D. AI Showcase Expands and Relocates at RSNA 2019. RSNA 2019. https://press.rsna.org/timssnet/media/pressreleases/14_pr_target.cfm?ID=2101 (accessed February 4, 2020).
- Artificial intelligence, real radiology.Radiol Artif Intell. 2019; 1e184001https://doi.org/10.1148/ryai.2019184001
- Social media and the patient experience.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 1615-1621https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2016.09.006
- Radiology online patient education materials provided by major university hospitals: do they conform to NIH and AMA guidelines?.Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2018; 47: 75-79https://doi.org/10.1067/j.cpradiol.2017.05.007
- As clear as mud.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 233https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2017.11.012
- Resistance to medical artificial intelligence.J Consum Res. 2019; 46: 629-650https://doi.org/10.1093/jcr/ucz013
Longoni C, Morewedge CK. AI can outperform doctors. So why don't patients trust it? Harv Bus Rev 2019. https://hbr.org/2019/10/ai-can-outperform-doctors-so-why-dont-patients-trust-it (accessed February 4, 2020).
- Patient perspectives and priorities regarding artificial intelligence in radiology: opportunities for patient-centered radiology.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; (article in press)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2020.01.007
Geoff Hinton: On Radiology. YouTube 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HMPRXstSvQ (accessed February 4, 2020).
Farr C. Here's Why One Tech Investor Thinks some Doctors will be ‘Obsolete’ in Five Years. CNBC 2017. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/07/vinod-khosla-radiologists-obsolete-five-years.html (accessed February 4, 2020).
Siegel E. Will Radiologists be Replaced by Computers? Debunking the Hype of AI. Carestream 2016. https://www.carestream.com/blog/2016/11/01/debating-radiologists-replaced-by-computers/ (accessed February 4, 2020).
- The end of radiology? Three threats to the future practice of radiology.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 1415-1420https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2016.07.010
Morgenstern M. Automation and anxiety. The Economist 2016. https://www.economist.com/special-report/2016/06/23/automation-and-anxiety (accessed February 4, 2020).
AI expert: Stop training Radiologists. Your thoughts? Reddit 2017. https://www.reddit.com/r/medicalschool/comments/6nlgta/ai_expert_stop_training_radiologists_your_thoughts/ (accessed February 4, 2020).
Radiology resident; ask me anything! Student Doctor Network 2018. https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/radiology-resident-ask-me-anything.1319275/ (accessed February 4, 2020).
Sam. Machine learning in radiology: threat or opportunity? HBS Digital Initiative 2018. https://digital.hbs.edu/platform-rctom/submission/machine-learning-in-radiology-threat-or-opportunity/ (accessed February 4, 2020).
- A medical student’s outlook on radiology in light of artificial intelligence.J Am Coll Radiol. 2019; 16: 1514-1515https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2019.08.026
Siegel E. Rest assured, João, you are safe from artificial intelligence. Applied Radiology 2017. https://appliedradiology.com/articles/rest-assured-jo-o-you-are-safe-from-artificial-intelligence (accessed February 4, 2020).
- Influence of artificial intelligence on Canadian medical students’ preference for radiology specialty: a national survey study.Acad Radiol. 2019; 26: 566-577https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2018.10.007
- A survey on the future of radiology among radiologists, medical students and surgeons: students and surgeons tend to be more skeptical about artificial intelligence and radiologists may fear that other disciplines take over.Eur J Radiol. 2019; 121 (108742)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2019.108742
Walter M. Social media's influence on radiology continues to grow. Radiology Business 2018. https://www.radiologybusiness.com/topics/strategic-alignment/social-medias-influence-radiology-continues-grow (accessed February 4, 2020).
- Radiologists should not be “ordered” around.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14: 1639-1640https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2017.05.022
- Scanning the future, radiologists see their jobs at risk.NPR, 2017https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/09/04/547882005/scanning-the-future-radiologists-see-their-jobs-at-riskDate accessed: February 4, 2020
Rad AI launches with $4 million in funding to build innovations in radiology. PR Newswire 2019. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/rad-ai-launches-with-4-million-in-funding-to-build-innovations-in-radiology-300964646.html (accessed February 4, 2020).
- Ethics of artificial intelligence in radiology: summary of the joint European and North American multisociety statement.Radiology. 2019; 293: 436-440https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2019191586