- •Initial screening MRIs were subject to more abnormal interpretations and biopsies compared to subsequent MRIs.
- •However, sensitivity and cancer detection rates were significantly higher for initial screening MRIs.
- •The higher rate of abnormal interpretations at initial screen are likely justified by the higher cancer detection rate.
- •Patients may be counseled on the higher likelihood of recall from an initial MRI balanced with the higher cancer detection.
- •Findings also support the importance of having prior MRI images for comparison to decrease false positives.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Breast cancer screening in women at higher-than-average risk: recommendations from the ACR.J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15: 408-414
- Meta-analysis of MR imaging in the diagnosis of breast lesions.Radiology. 2008; 246: 116-124
- MRI breast screening in high-risk women: cancer detection and survival analysis.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2014; 145: 663-672
- American Cancer Society guidelines for breast screening with MRI as an adjunct to mammography.CA Cancer J Clin. 2007; 57: 75-89
- ACR BI-RADS® follow-up and outcome monitoring.in: ACR BI-RADS® atlas, breast imaging reporting and data system. American College of Radiology, Reston, VA2013
- Performance benchmarks for screening breast MR imaging in community practice.Radiology. 2017; 285: 44-52
- Screening breast MRI outcomes in routine clinical practice: comparison to BI-RADS benchmarks.Acad Radiol. 2017; 24: 411-417
- Auditing a breast MRI practice: performance measures for screening and diagnostic breast MRI.J Am Coll Radiol. 2014; 11: 883-889
- Supplemental breast MR imaging screening of women with average risk of breast cancer.Radiology. 2017; 283: 361-370
- Determination of recall rates for assessment in high-risk women undergoing annual surveillance breast MRI.Clin Radiol. 2016; 71: 1143-1147
- What is the recall rate of breast MRI when used for screening asymptomatic women at high risk?.Magn Reson Imaging. 2002; 20: 557-565
- Screening MRI in women with a personal history of breast cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016; 108
- Screening breast MR imaging: comparison of interpretation of baseline and annual follow-up studies.Radiology. 2011; 259: 85-91
- The effect of prior comparison MRI on interpretive performance of screening breast MRI.J. Breast Imaging. 2020; 2: 36-42
- Initial versus subsequent screening mammography: comparison of findings and their prognostic significance.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1995; 164: 1107-1109
- ACR BI-RADS® magnetic resonance imaging.in: ACR BI-RADS® atlas, breast imaging reporting and data system. American College of Radiology, Reston, VA2013
- ACR appropriateness criteria® breast cancer screening.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14: S383-S390
- Breast MRI BI-RADS assessments and abnormal interpretation rates by clinical indication in US community practices.Acad Radiol. 2014; 21: 1370-1376
- ACR appropriateness criteria® palpable breast masses.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14: S203-S224
- Quality assurance. How to audit your own mammography practice.Radiol Clin North Am. 1992; 30: 265-275
- Differential value of comparison with previous examinations in diagnostic versus screening mammography.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002; 179: 1173-1177