- •Hand infections are very common and prompt diagnosis and treatment are essential to minimize devastating complications.
- •The flexor tendon sheaths of the thumb and little finger communicate with the radial and ulnar bursae.
- •Mycobacterial infection should be considered with a history of corticosteroid or TNFi therapy or prior steroid injection.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Ong YS, Levin LS. Hand infections. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009; 124(4):225e-233e.
- Infections.in: Light TR American Society of Surgery of the hand: hand surgery update 2. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL1999: 411-421
- Hand infections: anatomy, types and spread of infection, imaging findings, and treatment options.Radiographics. 2014; 34: 1968-1986
- Radial and ulnar bursae of the wrist: cadaveric investigation of regional anatomy with ultrasonographic-guided tenography and MR imaging.Skeletal Radiol. 2006; 35: 828-832
- An anatomic study of flexor tendon sheaths: a cadaveric study.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2009; 34: 762-765
- Roentgenographic anatomy of the tendon sheaths of the hand and wrist: tenography.Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med. 1975; 124: 44-51
- Space of Parona infections: experience in management and outcomes in a regional hand centre.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2013; 66: 968-972
- Acute infections.in: Hotchkiss RN Pederson WC Kozin SH eds Green’s operative hand surgery 6th ed Wolfe SW. Elsevier/Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia2011: 41-84
- Horseshoe abscess associated with acute carpal tunnel syndrome: somebody wake up the hand surgeon.CJEM. 2012; 14: 124-127
- Infections of the hand.Introduction and overview. Instr Course Lect. 1990; 39: 527-531
- Closed-space hand infections: diagnostic and treatment considerations.Orthop Rev (Pavia). 2012; 4e19
- Hand infections.Orthop Clin North Am. 2013; 44: 625-634
Kanavel AB. The symptoms, signs, and diagnosis of tenosynovitis and fascial-space abscesses. Infections of the Hand. 1st ed. ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lea & Febiger; 1912:201–226.
- Infectious Diseases Society of America Emerging Infections N. Mycobacterial and other serious infections in patients receiving anti-tumor necrosis factor and other newly approved biologic therapies: case finding through the Emerging Infections Network.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: 1738-1740
- Nontuberculous mycobacteria infections and anti-tumor necrosis factor-alpha therapy.Emerg Infect Dis. 2009; 15: 1556-1561
- Acute horseshoe abscess of the hand after corticosteroid injection to treat trigger thumb.BMJ Case Rep. 2018; 2018
- Mycobacterium chelonae hand infection after steroid injection in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis receiving long-term linezolid therapy.BMJ Case Rep. 2017; 2017
- Tenosynovitis: a rare presentation of tuberculosis better known by hand surgeons than infectious diseases specialists.Infection. 2015; 43: 261-266
- Tuberculous flexor tenosynovitis of the hand.Int J Mycobacteriol. 2015; 4: 347-349
- Non-tuberculous mycobacterial tenosynovitis: a review.Scand J Infect Dis. 1999; 31: 221-228
- Tenosynovitis.Hand Clin. 1989; 5: 525-531
- Atypical hand infections.Orthop Clin North Am. 2017; 48: 229-240
- Atypical Mycobacterium infections of the upper extremity.J Hand Surg Am. 1994; 19: 480-487
- Localized soft-tissue infections with Mycobacterium avium/Mycobacterium intracellulare complex in immunocompetent patients: granulomatous tenosynovitis of the hand or wrist.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 21: 65-69
Darrow M, Foulkes G, Richmann PN, de los Reyes CL, Floyd WE, 3rd. Deep infection of the hand with Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare: two case reports. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 1995; 24(12):914–917.
- Infection with Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare with abscess, ulceration and fistula formation.Br J Dermatol. 1997; 136: 121-123
- Mycobacterium intracellulare as a cause of a recurrent granulomatous tenosynovitis of the hand.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2000; 38: 127-129
- Mycobacterium avium complex tenosynovitis of the wrist and hand.Arthritis Rheum. 2004; 51: 140-142
- Atypical Mycobacterium infections of the upper extremity.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2005; 125: 475-478
- Mycobacterium avium infection involving skin and soft tissue of the hand treated by radical debridement and reconstruction in addition to multidrug chemotherapy.J Hand Surg Br. 2006; 31: 693-694
- Tenosynovitis with rice body formation due to Mycobacterium intracellulare infection after initiation of infliximab therapy.Am J Case Rep. 2018; 19: 656-662
- Non-tuberculous mycobacterial infections of the hand.Chir Main. 2015; 34: 18-23
- Chronic tenosynovitis of the hand caused by Mycobacterium heraklionense.Int J Mycobacteriol. 2016; 5: 273-275
Lekic N, Rosenberg AE, Askari M. Mycobacterium longobardum Infection in the Hand. J Hand Surg Am. 2018; 43(5):491 e491–491 e494.
- Hand infection due to Mycobacterium neoaurum.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2012; 37: 574-575
- Mycobacterium arupense flexor tenosynovitis: case report and review of antimicrobial susceptibility profiles for 40 clinical isolates.J Clin Microbiol. 2014; 52: 2706-2708
- Atypical infections versus inflammatory conditions of the hand: the role of imaging in diagnosis.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015; 136: 316-327
- Mycobacterium xenopi--an unusual presentation as tenosynovitis of the wrist in an immunocompetent patient.Br J Rheumatol. 1996; 35: 1008-1010
- Prosthetic joint infection due to Mycobacterium xenopi: a review of the literature with a new case report.Infection. 2019; (Advance online publication)https://doi.org/10.1007/s15010-019-01318-1
- Mycobacterial infection of the musculoskeletal tissues: the use of pathological specimens for identification of causative species by PCR-direct sequencing of 16S rDNA.Jpn J Infect Dis. 2010; 63: 188-191