- •LDCT images can provide important information about hepatic steatosis non-invasively and at no additional cost.
- •Individuals with liver attenuation < 40HU on LDCT should be advised of the high likelihood of having excess liver fat.
- •Patients with liver attenuation < 40HU should contact their referring physician or a liver specialist for further work up.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Modeling the epidemic of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease demonstrates an exponential increase in burden of disease.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 123-133
- Clinical epidemiology and disease burden of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.World J Gastroenterol. 2017; 23: 8263-8276
- Macrovesicular hepatic steatosis in living liver donors: use of CT for quantitative and qualitative assessment.Radiology. 2006; 239: 105-112
- Gaps in recognition and evaluation of incidentally identified hepatic steatosis.Dig Dis Sci. 2015; 60: 333-338
- Comparison of CT methods for determining the fat content of the liver.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 188: 1307-1312
- Noninvasive assessment of macrovesicular liver steatosis in cadaveric donors based on computed tomography liver-to-spleen attenuation ratio.Liver Transpl. 2015; 21: 690-695
- Prevalence and risk factors of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in potential living liver donors in Korea: a review of 589 consecutive liver biopsies in a single center.J Hepatol. 2007; 47: 239-244
- Hepatic steatosis (fatty liver disease) in asymptomatic adults identified by unenhanced low-dose CT.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010; 194: 623-628
- Hepatic steatosis in participants in a program of low-dose CT screening for lung cancer.Eur J Radiol. 2017; 94: 174-179
- Characterization of the dust/smoke aerosol that settled east of the World Trade Center (WTC) in lower Manhattan after the collapse of the WTC 11 September 2001.Environ Health Perspect. 2002; 110: 703-714
- Role of environmental pollutants in liver physiology: special references to peoples living in the oil drilling sites of Assam.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0123370
- Fine particle pollution, alanine transaminase, and liver cancer: a Taiwanese prospective cohort study (REVEAL-HBV).J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016; 108
- Increased prevalence of primary biliary cirrhosis near superfund toxic waste sites.Hepatology. 2006; 43: 525-531
- Active smoking, passive smoking, and risk of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD): a population-based study in China.J Epidemiol. 2013; 23: 115-121
- YKL-40 is a protective biomarker for fatty liver in world trade center particulate matter-exposed firefighters.J Mol Biomark Diagn. 2014; 5
- Development of a simple noninvasive index to predict significant fibrosis in patients with HIV/HCV coinfection.Hepatology. 2006; 43: 1317-1325
- Liver anatomy: portal (and suprahepatic) or biliary segmentation.Dig Surg. 1999; 16: 459-467
- Emphysema scores predict death from COPD and lung cancer.Chest. 2012; 141: 1216-1223
- Ordinal scoring of coronary artery calcifications on low-dose CT scans of the chest is predictive of death from cardiovascular disease.Radiology. 2010; 257: 541-548
- Coronary artery calcification on low-dose computed tomography: comparison of Agatston and Ordinal Scores.Clin Imaging. 2015; 39: 799-802
- Persistence of multiple illnesses in World Trade Center rescue and recovery workers: a cohort study.Lancet. 2011; 378: 888-897
- Lung function trajectories in world trade center-exposed New York City firefighters over 13 years: the roles of smoking and smoking cessation.Chest. 2016; 149: 1419-1427
- Longitudinal assessment of spirometry in the World Trade Center medical monitoring program.Chest. 2009; 135: 492-498
- Toxicant-associated steatohepatitis in vinyl chloride workers.Hepatology. 2010; 51: 474-481
- Ambient Air Pollution, Adiposity, and Hepatic Steatosis: The Framingham Heart Study.Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, 2016
- Exposure to fine airborne particulate matters induces hepatic fibrosis in murine models.J Hepatol. 2015; 63: 1397-1404
- Second-hand smoke stimulates lipid accumulation in the liver by modulating AMPK and SREBP-1.J Hepatol. 2009; 51: 535-547
- The association between body mass index and gastroesophageal reflux disease in the World Trade Center Health Program General Responder Cohort.Am J Ind Med. 2016; 59: 761-766
- Prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis among a largely middle-aged population utilizing ultrasound and liver biopsy: a prospective study.Gastroenterology. 2011; 140: 124-131
- Air levels of carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons after the World Trade Center disaster.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004; 101: 11685-11688
- Urinary biomarkers of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are associated with cardiometabolic health risk.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0137536
- Liver fibrosis scores predict liver disease mortality in the United States population.Hepatology. 2017; 66: 84-95
- Noninvasive estimation of hepatic steatosis using plain CT vs. chemical-shift MR imaging: significance for living donors.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2008; 28: 678-684
- Frequent binge drinking five to six years after exposure to 9/11: findings from the World Trade Center Health Registry.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014; 140: 1-7
- Alcohol and drug-related mortality among enrollees in the world trade center health registry (WTCHR), 2004 to 2012.J Occup Environ Med. 2018; 60: 875-879
- Glucocorticoids and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2015; 154: 94-103
- Hepatic lipid accumulation: cause and consequence of dysregulated glucoregulatory hormones.J Endocrinol. 2017; 234: R1-R21
☆Institution at which the work was performed: Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York NY 10029, United States.