- •TIRADS ≥ 4 is a sensitive method for thyroid cancer detection.
- •Smaller thyroid nodules are more likely to be malignant.
- •Combination of nodule size and TIRADS is helpful in detecting malignant nodules.
Advances in knowledge
Abbreviations:TIRADS (thyroid imaging reporting and data system), US (ultrasonography), FNA (fine needle aspiration)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Gharib H, Papini E, Paschke R, Duick D, Valcavi R, Hegedüs L, et al. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, Associazione Medici Endocrinologi, and European Thyroid Association medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules. Endocrine Practice. 2010;16(Supplement 1):1–43.
- Thyroid incidentalomas: prevalence by palpation and ultrasonography.Arch Intern Med. 1994; 154: 1838-1840
- Epidemiology of thyroid nodules.Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 22: 901-911
- Risk of thyroid cancer based on thyroid ultrasound imaging characteristics: results of a population-based study.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1788-1795
- Ultrasonography-guided fine-needle aspiration of thyroid incidentaloma: correlation with pathological findings.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2004; 60: 21-28
- The Bethesda system for reporting thyroid cytopathology.Thyroid. 2009; 19: 1159-1165
- The Bethesda system for reporting thyroid cytopathology: a meta-analysis.Acta Cytol. 2012; 56: 333-339
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, American College of Endocrinology, and Associazione Medici Endocrinologi medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules–2016 update.Endocr Pract. 2016; 22: 1-60
- Prospective validation of the ultrasound based TIRADS (thyroid imaging reporting and data system) classification: results in surgically resected thyroid nodules.Eur Radiol. 2017; 27: 2619-2628
- Concordance between the TIRADS ultrasound criteria and the BETHESDA cytology criteria on the nontoxic thyroid nodule.Thyroid Res. 2017; 10: 1
- An ultrasonogram reporting system for thyroid nodules stratifying cancer risk for clinical management.J Clin Endocrinol Metabol. 2009; 94: 1748-1751
- ACR BI-RADS® Atlas, breast imaging reporting and data system.Reston, VA: American College of Radiology. 2013; 2014: 37-78
- Thyroid imaging reporting and data system for US features of nodules: a step in establishing better stratification of cancer risk.Radiology. 2011; 260: 892-899
- Sonography of thyroid nodules: a “classic pattern” diagnostic approach.Ultrasound Q. 2005; 21: 157-165
- Clinico-pathological correlation of thyroid nodule ultrasound and cytology using the TIRADS and Bethesda classifications.World J Surg. 2017; 41: 1807-1811
- Thyroid nodule size and prediction of cancer.J Clin Endocrinol Metabol. 2013; 98: 564-570
- Thyroid nodule size at ultrasound as a predictor of malignancy and final pathologic size.Thyroid. 2017; 27: 641-650
- Clinical outcomes for “suspicious” category in thyroid fine-needle aspiration biopsy: patient’s sex and nodule size are possible predictors of malignancy.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009; 133: 787-790
- Laboratory medicine practice guidelines: laboratory support for the diagnosis and monitoring of thyroid disease.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2003; 58: 138-140
- ACR thyroid imaging, reporting and data system (TI-RADS): white paper of the ACR TI-RADS committee.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14: 587-595
- The thyroid nodule: fine-needle aspiration biopsy technique.J Ultrasound Med. 2011; 30: 685-694
- The 2017 Bethesda system for reporting thyroid cytopathology.Thyroid. 2017; 27: 1341-1346
- Epidemiology of thyroid cancer.Springer, Thyroid Cancer2016: 9-15
- The incidence of thyroid Cancer by FNA varies by age and gender.Journal of Surgical Research. 2012; 172: 188
- Male sex, single nodularity, and young age are associated with the risk of finding a papillary thyroid cancer on fine-needle aspiration cytology in a large series of patients with nodular thyroid disease.Eur J Endocrinol. 2010; 162: 763-770
- Thyroid cancer pooled analysis from 14 case–control studies: what have we learned?.Cancer Causes and Control. 2003; 14: 787-789
- Clinical features associated with an increased risk of thyroid malignancy in patients with follicular neoplasia by fine-needle aspiration.Thyroid. 1998; 8: 377-383
Wémeau J-L, Sadoul J-L, d'Herbomez M, Monpeyssen H, Tramalloni J, Leteurtre E, et al., editors. Guidelines of the French society of endocrinology for the management of thyroid nodules. Annales d'endocrinologie; 2011: Elsevier.
- 2015 American Thyroid Association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: the American Thyroid Association guidelines task force on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer.Thyroid. 2016; 26: 1-133
- Guidelines taskforce on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid Cancer. Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer.Thyroid. 2009; 19: 1167-1214
- Thyroid nodules: nondiagnostic cytologic results according to thyroid imaging reporting and data system before and after application of the Bethesda system.Radiology. 2015; 276: 579-587
- Value of sonographic features in predicting malignancy in thyroid nodules diagnosed as follicular neoplasm on cytology.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2015; 83: 711-716
- Correlation of thyroid imaging reporting and data system [TI-RADS] and fine needle aspiration: experience in 1,000 nodules.Einstein (São Paulo). 2016; 14: 119-123
- Thyroid ultrasound features and risk of carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.Thyroid. 2015; 25: 538-550
- Is nodule size an independent predictor of thyroid malignancy?.Surgery. 2008; 144: 1062-1069
- Impact of nodule size on malignancy risk differs according to the ultrasonography pattern of thyroid nodules.Korean J Radiol. 2018; 19: 534-541
- Thyroid nodule size calculated using ultrasound and gross pathology as predictors of cancer: a 23-year retrospective study.Diagn Cytopathol. 2019; 47: 187-193
- Predictive index for carcinoma of thyroid nodules and its integration with fine-needle aspiration cytology.Head Neck. 2009; 31: 856-866