- •Perifissural nodules (PFNs) are common in the general population.
- •In our dedicated cancer population, PFNs were found to be stable or decreased in size over a follow up, similar to the general population and; therefore, can be presumed benign.
- •While a pulmonary or pleural nodule will still necessitate follow up in cancer patients, our results indicate we as radiologists can provide reassurance to our oncologic colleagues and oncologic patients.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Recognition and incidence of intrapulmonary lymph nodes.Thorax. 1964; 19: 44-50
- Intrapulmonary lymph nodes: CT and pathological features.Clin Radiol. 1999; 54: 640-643
- Importance of intrapulmonary lymph nodes in the differential diagnosis of small pulmonary nodular shadows.Chest. 1998; 113: 703-706
- Thin-section CT features of intrapulmonary lymph nodes.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2001; 25: 753-756
- Screening for early lung cancer with low-dose spiral computed tomography.Lancet. 2003; 362: 588-589
- Management of lung nodules detected by volume CT scanning.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 2221-2229
- The Lung Reporting and Data System (LU-RADS): a proposal for computed tomography screening.Can Assoc Radiol J. 2014; 65: 121-134
- MRI-detected suspicious breast lesions: predictive values of kinetic features measured by computer-aided evaluation.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009; 193: 826-831
- Smooth or attached solid indeterminate nodules detected at baseline CT screening in the NELSON study: cancer risk during 1 year of follow-up.Radiology. 2009; 250: 264-272
- Prevalence of pathologically proven intrapulmonary lymph nodes and their appearance on CT.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996; 167: 629-630
- Perifissural nodules seen at CT screening for lung cancer.Radiology. 2010; 254: 949-956
- Computed tomography of benign intrapulmonary lymph nodes: retrospective comparison with sarcoma metastases.Mayo Clin Proc. 2002; 77: 329-333
- Incidental perifissural nodules on routine chest computed tomography: lung cancer or not?.Eur Radiol. 2018; 28: 1095-1101
- Pulmonary perifissural nodules on CT scans: rapid growth is not a predictor of malignancy.Radiology. 2012; 265: 611-616
- Intrapulmonary lymph nodes. Clinical, radiologic, and pathologic features.Chest. 1985; 87: 662-667
- Juxtapleural (Perifissural) Nodules: Does Location Mean a Benign Lesion?.Radiology. 2018; 288: 876-877
Callister ME, Baldwin DR, Akram AR, Barnard S, Cane P, Draffan J, et al. British Thoracic Society guidelines for the investigation and management of pulmonary nodules. Thorax 2015; 70 Suppl 2: ii 1-ii 54.
- Classification of CT pulmonary opacities as perifissural nodules: reader variability.Radiology. 2018; 288: 867-875
- Indeterminate solitary pulmonary nodules revealed at population-based CT screening of the lung: using first follow-up diagnostic CT to differentiate benign and malignant lesions.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2003; 180: 1255-1263
- Subcentimeter lung nodules stable for 2 years at LDCT: long-term follow-up using volumetry.Respirology (Carlton, Vic). 2014; 19: 921-928
- Guidelines for management of incidental pulmonary nodules detected on CT images: from the Fleischner Society 2017.Radiology. 2017; 284: 228-243
- A surgical case of primary lung cancer with peripheral intrapulmonary lymph node metastasis.Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007; 13: 53-55