- •There is a significant difference in the spread patterns of intestinal gastric cancer compared to that of diffuse subtype.
- •Tumors in the gastroesophageal junction, lesser curvature, and antrum tend to spread to the gastrohepatic ligament and the omentum.
- •Presence of hepatic metastases does not affect overall survival predictability.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology of gastric cancer.World J Gastroenterol. 2006; 12: 354-362
- Gastric cancer: descriptive epidemiology, risk factors, screening, and prevention.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2014; 23: 700-713
- The two histological main types of gastric carcinoma: diffuse and so-called intestinal-type carcinoma. An attempt at a histo-clinical classification.Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand. 1965; 64: 31-49
- E-cadherin gene (CDH1) promoter methylation as the second hit in sporadic diffuse gastric carcinoma.Oncogene. 2001; 20: 1525-1528
- Mechanisms inactivating the gene for E-cadherin in sporadic gastric carcinomas.World J Gastroenterol. 2006; 12: 2168-2173
- The immunohistochemical expression of E-cadherin in gastric cancer; correlations with clinicopathological factors and patients' survival.Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2008; 49: 459-467
- E-cadherin in gastric carcinomas related to histological prognostic parameters.Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2011; 52: 1107-1112
- F., et al., [Atypical regenerative changes, dysplasia, and carcinoma in situ in chronic gastritis associated with Helicobacter pylori].Rev Gastroenterol Mex. 2000; 65: 11-17
- OCT-1 is over-expressed in intestinal metaplasia and intestinal gastric carcinomas and binds to, but does not transactivate, CDX2 in gastric cells.J Pathol. 2005; 207: 396-401
- Cdx2 expression and intestinal metaplasia induced by H. pylori infection of gastric cells is regulated by NOD1-mediated innate immune responses.Cancer Res. 2016; 76: 1135-1145
- HER-2/neu overexpression is an independent prognostic factor for intestinal-type and early-stage gastric cancer patients.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2012; 46: e31-e37
- H.M., et al., [Association of HER2 protein expression with clinicopathologic features and prognosis in Chinese patients with gastric carcinoma].Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi. 2011; 40: 296-299
- Upregulated expression of DIXDC1 in intestinal-type gastric carcinoma: co-localization with beta-catenin and correlation with poor prognosis.Cancer Cell Int. 2015; 15: 120
- Patnana M., Devine C, Mansfield P, Phan A., Chapter 15. Gastric carcinoma. In: Oncologic imaging: a multidisciplinary approach.Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, PA2012
- Gastric cancer: patterns of disease spread via the perigastric ligaments shown by CT.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010; 195: 398-404
- Patterns of metastases in intestinal and diffuse types of carcinoma of the stomach.Hum Pathol. 1981; 12: 237-242
- Diffuse gastric cancer with peritoneal carcinomatosis can mimic Crohn's disease.Case Rep Gastroenterol. 2012; 6: 695-703
AJCC Cancer staging manual 8th ed. Stomach. Chapter 17. 2017 New York Springer Science and Business Media, LLC.
- American Joint Committee on Cancer AJCC Cancer staging manual 8th ed. Stomach. Chapter 17. Springer, New York2017
- Clinicopathological characteristics and prognostic analysis of Lauren classification in gastric adenocarcinoma in China.J Transl Med. 2013; 11: 58
- Clinicopathological variation of Lauren classification in gastric cancer.Pathol Oncol Res. 2016; 22: 197-202
- Diffuse type advanced gastric cancer showing dismal prognosis is characterized by deeper invasion and emerging peritoneal cancer cell: the latest comparative study to intestinal advanced gastric cancer.Hepatogastroenterology. 2009; 56: 276-281
- Prevalence and prognosis of gastric cancer detected by screening in a large Japanese population: data from a single institute over 30 years.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007; 22: 1435-1442
- Pathobiological characteristics of intestinal and diffuse-type gastric carcinoma in Japan: an immunostaining study on the tissue microarray.J Clin Pathol. 2007; 60: 273-277
- Survival in stomach cancer is improving: results of a nationwide population-based Swedish study.Ann Surg. 1999; 230: 162-169
- Surgical treatment results of intestinal and diffuse type gastric cancer. Implications for a differentiated therapeutic approach?.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013; 39: 686-693
- S-1 plus intravenous and intraperitoneal Paclitaxel for gastric cancer with peritoneal metastasis.Gastrointest Cancer Res. 2012; 5 (Suppl. 1): S10-S13
- Pharmacokinetic study of paclitaxel in malignant ascites from advanced gastric cancer patients.World J Gastroenterol. 2006; 12: 1412-1415
- Lauren classification and individualized chemotherapy in gastric cancer.Oncol Lett. 2016; 11: 2959-2964