- •Lung cancers associated with cystic –airspaces may appear as simple lung cysts, lung cysts with slightly irregular walls or characteristic multicystic bubbly air spaces with internal complete and incomplete septations.
- •Development of ground-glass change, diffuse wall nodularity, eccentric nodule or increasing complexity within a cystic airspace are indicators of malignancy. These indicators should prompt cancer workup including biopsy.
- •Lung cancers associated with cystic airspaces are more commonly adenocarcinomas on pathology.
- •Association with emphysema and smoking is common.
- •These are slow growing tumors and hence long-term follow-up of cystic airspaces is required.
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Lung cancers associated with cystic airspaces: natural history, pathologic correlation, and mutational analysis.J Thorac Imaging. 2017; 32: 176-188https://doi.org/10.1097/RTI.0000000000000265
- Carcinoma of the bronchus presenting as thin-walled cysts.Thorax. 1954; 9: 100-105https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.9.2.100
- Lung adenocarcinoma presenting with enlarged and multiloculated cystic lesions over 2 years.Respir Care. 2004; 49: 1522-1524
- Large cell carcinoma on the bullous wall detected in a specimen from a patient with spontaneous pneumothorax: report of a case.J Thorac Dis. 2014; 6: E234-E236https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2072-1439.2014.09.29
- Clinical features of primary lung cancer adjoining pulmonary bulla.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010; 10: 940-944https://doi.org/10.1510/icvts.2010.233551
- Lung cancer with unusual presentation as a thin-walled cyst in a young nonsmoker.J Thorac Oncol. 2010; 5: 1481-1482https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e3181e77f2e
- Lung cyst caused by centrally located bronchogenic carcinoma.Arch Bronconeumol. 2012; 48: 99-101https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arbres.2011.06.019
- Lung cancer associated with cystic airspaces.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2015; 39: 102-108https://doi.org/10.1097/RCT.0000000000000154
- Lung cancer associated with cystic airspaces.Am J Roentgenol. 2012; 199: 781-786https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.11.7812
- Squamous cell carcinoma presenting as a solitary growing cyst in lung: a diagnostic pitfall in daily clinical practice.Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 15: 174-177
- Lung cancers associated with cystic airspaces: an under recognized feature of early disease.RadioGraphics. 2018; 38: 704-717
- Fanconi anemia genes in lung adenocarcinoma - a pathway-wide study on cancer susceptibility.J Biomed Sci. 2016; 23https://doi.org/10.1186/s12929-016-0240-9