- •Localization of breast lesions is a common procedure that has evolved as surgical, imaging, and biomedical technology have progressed.
- •Wire localization, introduced almost 50 years ago, was the first technique introduced to help localize nonpalpable, image-detected breast lesions.
- •Preoperative radioactive seed localization was one of the first alternatives proposed to avoid some of the limitations encountered with wire localization.
- •Non-ionizing devices have recently emerged in the wake of progress made with radioseed localization.
- •Currently radiofrequency reflectors and magnetic seeds are gaining in popularity and will be seen more widely in the future.
- •Comparing and contrasting these techniques enables informed decisions about which technique is the best operational fit for a given practice.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- U.S. breast cancer statistics.Breastcancer.org([120 East Lancaster Avenue, Suite 201 Ardmore, PA 19003])Date: 2017
- NCCN guidelines for patients.in: NCCN guuidelines for patients, breast cancer-early stage (stages I and II), version 12016. National Comprehensive Cancer Network, 2017
- Cancer facts & figures 2017.American Cancer Society, 2017 ([250 Williams Street, NW, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A. 30303-1002])
- I. The results of operations for the cure of cancer of the breast performed at the Johns Hopkins Hospital from June, 1889, to January, 1894.Ann Surg. 1894; 20: 497-555
- The Halsted mastectomy: present illness and past history.West J Med. 1981; 134: 549-555
- History of mastectomy before and after Halsted.J Med Liban. 2009; 57: 65-71
- Development of wire localization for occult breast lesions: Boston remembrances.Radiology. 2013; 268: 622-627
- Preoperative localization of nonpalpable breast lesions demonstrated by mammography.N Engl J Med. 1976; 295: 259-260
- An improved system for surgical excision of needle-localized nonpalpable breast lesions.Am J Surg. 1987; 154: 476-477
- Twenty-year follow-up of a randomized trial comparing total mastectomy, lumpectomy, and lumpectomy plus irradiation for the treatment of invasive breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1233-1241
- Twenty-year follow-up of a randomized study comparing breast-conserving surgery with radical mastectomy for early breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1227-1232
- Effect of breast conservation therapy vs mastectomy on disease-specific survival for early-stage breast cancer.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 267-274
- Disparities in the use of breast-conserving therapy among patients with early-stage breast cancer.JAMA Surg. 2015; 150: 778-786
- Needle localization of occult breast lesions with a curved-end retractable wire: technique and pitfalls.Radiology. 1986; 161: 547-548
- Versatile spring hookwire breast lesion localizer.Am J Roentgenol. 1982; 138: 586-587
- Monte Carlo simulation to analyze the cost-benefit of radioactive seed localization versus wire localization for breast-conserving surgery in fee-for-service health care systems compared with accountable care organizations.Am J Roentgenol. 2014; 202: 1383-1388
- Ultrasound-guided wire localization of focal ductal dilatation in the evaluation and treatment of pathologic nipple discharge.Breast J. 2017; 24: 356-359
- Preoperative MR imaging-guided needle localization of breast lesions.Am J Roentgenol. 2002; 178: 1211-1220
- Bracketing wires for preoperative breast needle localization.Am J Roentgenol. 2001; 177: 565-572
- Localization and needle aspiration of breast lesions: complications in 370 cases.Am J Roentgenol. 1991; 157: 711-714
- Transection of the localization hooked wire during breast biopsy.Am J Roentgenol. 1983; 141: 929-930
- Localization of transected wire.Am J Roentgenol. 1991; 157: 645
- Complications of needle localization of foreign bodies and nonpalpable breast lesions.Arch Surg. 1988; 123: 775-779
- Migration of the guide-wire into the pleural cavity after needle localization of breast lesions.Eur J Surg Oncol. 1998; 24: 446-448
- Migration of the breast biopsy localization wire to the pulmonary hilus.Acta Radiol. 2005; 46: 28-31
- Thoracoscopic management of a pericardial migration of a breast biopsy localization wire.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 87: 1937-1939
- Starting a radioactive seed localization program.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: 3197-3202
- Systematic review of radioguided surgery for non-palpable breast cancer.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2011; 37: 388-397
- Needle-localized breast biopsy: why do we fail?.Radiology. 1997; 204: 677-684
- Faster reporting speed and interpretation errors: conjecture, evidence, and malpractice implications.J Am Coll Radiol. 2015; 12: 894-896
- The effect of faster reporting speed for imaging studies on the number of misses and interpretation errors: a pilot study.J Am Coll Radiol. 2015; 12: 683-688
- Randomized prospective evaluation of a novel technique for biopsy or lumpectomy of nonpalpable breast lesions: radioactive seed versus wire localization.Ann Surg Oncol. 2001; 8: 711-715
- A multi-site validation trial of radioactive seed localization as an alternative to wire localization.Breast J. 2008; 14: 153-157
- Radioactive seed localization versus wire localization for lumpectomies: a comparison of outcomes.Am J Roentgenol. 2015; 204: 872-877
- Imaging factors that influence surgical margins after preoperative 125I radioactive seed localization of breast lesions: comparison with wire localization.Am J Roentgenol. 2016; 206: 1112-1118
- Current status of radioactive seed for localization of non palpable breast lesions.Am J Surg. 2010; 199: 522-528
United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Iodine-125 and palladium-103 low dose rate brachytherapy seeds used for localization of non-palpable lesions. In: Nuclear materials. https://www.nrc.gov/materials/miau/med-use-toolkit/seed-localization.html. Accessed 2/14/2019
- A randomized prospective comparison of patient-assessed satisfaction and clinical outcomes with radioactive seed localization versus wire localization.Breast J. 2016; 22: 151-157
- Selective surgical localization of axillary lymph nodes containing metastases in patients with breast cancer: a prospective feasibility trial.JAMA Surg. 2015; 150: 137-143
- Radiation safety with use of I-125 seeds for localization of nonpalpable breast lesions.Acad Radiol. 2006; 13: 909-915
- Evaluation of the SAVI SCOUT surgical guidance system for localization and excision of nonpalpable breast lesions: a feasibility study.Am J Roentgenol. 2016; : w1-w4
- Update on preoperative breast localization.Radiol Clin North Am. 2017; 55: 591-603
- Implementing the SAVI SCOUT system in community radiology practice.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14: 1234-1238
- Pilot study of a new nonradioactive surgical guidance technology for locating nonpalpable breast lesions.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 1824-1830
- Feasibility of magnetic marker localisation for non-palpable breast cancer.Breast (Edinburgh, Scotland). 2017; 33: 50-56
- Initial clinical experience with an inducible magnetic seed system for preoperative breast lesion localization.Am J Roentgenol. 2018; 210: 913-917
- Safety and feasibility of breast lesion localization using magnetic seeds (Magseed): a multi-centre, open-label cohort study.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 169: 531-536
- Breast imaging: the face of imaging 3.0.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 1003-1007
- Beyond wires and seeds: reflector-guided breast lesion localization and excision.Radiology. 2017; 284: 365-371
- Evaluation of a nonradioactive magnetic marker wireless localization program.Am J Roentgenol. 2018; 211: 940-945