- •Neuromuscular choristoma (NMC) is rare tumor with muscle with neural elements.
- •The natural history of NMC is poorly understood.
- •To date, only 14 cases of sciatic nerve NMCs have been reported.
- •Biopsy or surgery are considered to lead to occurrence of aggressive fibromatosis.
- •This is first case with long-term natural history for 17 years of NMC.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Neuromuscular choristoma: characteristic magnetic resonance imaging findings and association with post-biopsy fibromatosis.Skelet Radiol. 2013; 42: 567-577
- Neuromuscular hamartoma–a benign “triton tumor” composed of mature neural and striated muscle elements.Cancer. 1982; 49: 140-144
- Neuromuscular hamartoma of the sciatic nerve: case report and review of the literature.Surg Neurol Int. 2013; 4: 8
- Neuromuscular choristoma presenting with unilateral limb hypoplasia in a 3-year-old boy.Muscle Nerve. 2016; 54: 797-801
- Neuromuscular choristoma of the sciatic nerve and lumbosacral plexus: an association with nerve-territory undergrowth in the pelvis affecting soft tissue and bone.Acta Neurochir. 2014; 156: 1041-1046
- Neuromuscular hamartoma.Ann Pathol. 1991; 11: 36-41
- Cavus deformity of the foot secondary to a neuromuscular choristoma (hamartoma) of the sciatic nerve. A case report.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997; 79: 1398-1401
- Neuromuscular choristoma of the sciatic nerve. Case report.J Neurosurg. 2002; 96: 1123-1126
- Fibromatosis: a potential sequela of neuromuscular choristoma.J Neurosurg. 2012; 116: 399-408
- Addendum: evidence supports a “no-touch” approach to neuromuscular choristoma.J Neurosurg. 2013; 119: 252-254
- Sopra un caso di rabdomioma del nervo ischiatico.Arch Med Sci. 1895; 19: 113-137
- Intraneural muscular hamartoma: report of two cases in small children.J Pediatr Surg. 1972; 7: 696-699
- CTNNB1 mutations and estrogen receptor expression in neuromuscular choristoma and its associated fibromatosis.Am J Surg Pathol. 2016; 40: 1368-1374