- •Intra-tumoral hemorrhagic necrosis is suggestive for uterine sarcoma.
- •High intensity on T1WI is characteristic but the prevalence varies.
- •Susceptibility-weighted MR sequences such as SWAN are sensitive for the blood products.
- •MRI of 10 uterine sarcomas and 24 leiomyomas were evaluated.
- •The accuracy, sensitivity, and specificity for SWAN were 97%, 100%, and 96%, respectively.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Uterine sarcomas: clinical presentation and MRI features.Diagn Interv Radiol. 2015; 21: 4-9
- MR imaging of uterine sarcomas.AJR. 2001; 177: 1307-1311
- MRI appearance of mesenchymal tumors of the uterus.Eur J Radiol. 2010; 74: 241-249
- Smooth muscle tumors of uncertain malignant potential and leiomyosarcomas of the uterus: MR findings.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2004; 20: 998-1007
- Carcinosarcoma of the uterus: MR findings.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2008; 28: 434-439
- Carcinosarcoma of the uterus: MRI findings including diffusion-weighted imaging and MR spectroscopy.Acta Radiol. 2016; 57: 1277-1284
- Uterine leiomyomas: histopathologic features, MR imaging findings, differential diagnosis, and treatment.Radiographics. 1999; 19: 1179-1197
- Spin-echo MR imaging of intracranial haemorrhage.Neuroradiology. 1986; 28: 132-138
- MR appearance of hemorrhage in the brain.Radiology. 1993; 189: 15-26
- Susceptibility weighted imaging (SWI).Magn Reson Med. 2004; 52: 612-618
- Susceptibility-weighted angiography (SWAN) of cerebral veins and arteries compared to TOF-MRA.Eur J Radiol. 2012; 81: 1238-1245
- Susceptibility-weighted imaging to visualize blood products and improve tumor contrast in the study of brain masses.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2006; 24: 41-51
- Three-dimensional susceptibility-weighted imaging and two-dimensional T2*-weighted gradient-echo imaging of intratumoral hemorrhages in pediatric diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma.Neuroradiology. 2010; 52: 1167-1177
- The utility of diffusion-weighted MR imaging for differentiating uterine sarcomas from benign leiomyomas.Eur Radiol. 2008; 18: 723-730
- Hyperintense uterine myometrial masses on T2-weighted magnetic resonance imaging: differentiation with diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2009; 33: 834-837
- Combined use of T2-weighted and diffusion-weighted 3-T MR imaging for differentiating uterine sarcomas from benign leiomyomas.Eur Radiol. 2009; 19: 2756-2764
- How to differentiate benign from malignant myometrial tumours using MR imaging.Eur Radiol. 2013; 23: 2306-2314
- Review of leiomyoma variants.AJR. 2015; 205: 912-921
- Susceptibility-weighted MRI of extra-ovarian endometriosis: preliminary results.Abdom Imaging. 2015; 40: 2512-2516
- Unusual appearances of uterine leiomyomas: MR imaging findings and their histopathologic backgrounds.Radiographics. 1999; 19: 131-145
☆Declarations of interest: none.