- •Scaphoid fractures may remain occult in the initial radiographic examination.
- •Identification of anatomic risk factors may help to detect scaphoid fractures.
- •Increased radiographic indices of distal radius are risk factors for scaphoid fractures.
- •Negative ulnar variance is an anatomic risk factor for scaphoid fractures.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Incidence estimates and demographics of scaphoid fracture in the U.S. population.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2010; 35: 1242-1245https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2010.05.017
- An experimental approach to the mechanism of scaphoid waist fractures.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1978; 3: 142-148
- Scaphoid fracture as a “puncher's fracture”.J Orthop Trauma. 1994; 8: 107-110
- Carpal dislocations: pathomechanics and progressive perilunar instability.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1980; 5: 226-241
- Theoretical stress analysis in wrist joint—neutral position and functional position.J Hand Surg (Br). 2000; 25: 292-295https://doi.org/10.1054/jhsb.2000.0388
- Force distribution across wrist joint: application of pressure-sensitive conductive rubber.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1992; 17: 339-347
Palmer AK, Werner FW. Biomechanics of the distal radioulnar joint. Clin Orthop Relat Res n.d.:26–35.
- Load transmission through the wrist in the extended position.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2008; 33: 182-188https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2007.10.018
- Ulnar variance and scaphoid fracture.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2010; 35: 195-197https://doi.org/10.1177/1753193409352281
- Consequences of late immobilization of scaphoid fractures.J Hand Surg (Br). 1988; 13: 77-79
- Early MRI in the management of clinical scaphoid fracture.Br J Radiol. 2003; 76: 296-300https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/19790905
- A comparison of bone scintigraphy and MRI in the early diagnosis of the occult scaphoid waist fracture.Skeletal Radiol. 1998; 27: 683-687
- Diagnosing suspected scaphoid fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010; 468: 723-734https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-009-1081-6
- Multi-detector CT in the early diagnosis of occult scaphoid fractures.Jpn J Radiol. 2011; 29: 98-103
- Clinical carpal scaphoid injuries.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1988; 296: 825-826
- Computed tomography of suspected scaphoid fractures.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2007; 32: 61-66https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2006.10.009
- Scaphoid fractures and wrist pain—time for new thinking.Injury. 1991; 22: 435-436
- Cost-effectiveness of immediate MR imaging versus traditional follow-up for revealing radiographically occult scaphoid fractures.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001; 177: 1257-1263https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.177.6.1771257
- A normal data base of posteroanterior roentgenographic measurements of the wrist.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1992; 74: 1418-1429
- X-ray evaluation of the true neutral position of the wrist: the groove for extensor carpi ulnaris as a landmark.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1995; 20: 511-512https://doi.org/10.1016/S0363-5023(05)80120-0
- Validation of the extensor carpi ulnaris groove as a predictor for the recognition of standard posteroanterior radiographs of the wrist.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2002; 27: 252-257
- Fractures of the scaphoid: a rational approach to management.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1980; : 90-97
- The role of measurement reliability in clinical trials.Clin Trials. 2004; 1: 553-566https://doi.org/10.1191/1740774504cn057oa
- Distal avulsion fractures of the scaphoid.Br J Radiol. 1980; 53: 1037-1040https://doi.org/10.1259/0007-1285-53-635-1037
- Scaphoid fracture due to rigid handcuffs.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2008; 33: 484-487https://doi.org/10.1177/1753193408089055
- A new mechanism of injury for scaphoid fractures: “test your strength” punch-bag machines.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2010; 35: 419-420https://doi.org/10.1177/1753193409352713
- Could this unusual scaphoid fracture occurring in a badminton player be a stress fracture?.Chir Main. 2004; 23: 52-54
- Fracture of the scaphoid during a bench-press exercise.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2015; 45: 642https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2015.0408
- Anatomical risk factors for Kienböck's disease.J Hand Surg (Br). 1993; 18: 70-75
- Radial inclination and palmar tilt as risk factors for Kienböck's disease.Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2012; 41: E145-E146
- Radiographic analysis of anatomic risk factors for scapholunate dissociation.Acta Orthop Belg. 2003; 69: 246-251
- Ulnar variance in scaphoid nonunion.Arch Iran Med. 2013; 16: 301-302
☆No funds have been received for this study.
☆☆The authors have no conflict of interests to declare.