- •Often the only communication between radiologists and referring clinicians, a meaningful clinical history should be obtained whenever possible to increase diagnostic accuracy.
- •Radiologists should be cognizant of the difference between descriptors and inferences when composing their report to avoid erroneous conclusions.
- •Radiologists should be cognizant that patients are increasingly consumers of report content
- •Actionable findings should be communicated in an expedited fashion to decrease errors and thoroughly documented.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Malpractice in radiology: what should you worry about? Radiology research and practice.2013. 2013: 219259
- Current challenges and future perspectives for patient safety in surgery. Patient safety in surgery.8. 2014: 9
- Mortality among hospitalized Medicare beneficiaries in the first 2 years following ACGME resident duty hour reform.JAMA. 2007; 298: 975-983
- Imaging 3.0: what is it?.J Am Coll Radiol. 2013; 10: 229
Davis DL, Mulligan ME, Moszkowicz A, Resnik CS. Clinical history provided by referring clinicians and patients for musculoskeletal MRI. J Am Coll Radiol; 14:1215–1218.
- Interpretive error in radiology.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016; : 1-11
- Accuracy of information on imaging requisitions: does it matter?.J Am Coll Radiol. 2007; 4: 617-621
- Inappropriate and cloned clinical histories on radiology request forms for sick children.Pediatr Radiol. 2013; 43: 1267-1272
- Accuracy of diagnostic tests read with and without clinical information: a systematic review.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1602-1609
- SOA implementation critical success factors in healthcare.J Enterp Inf Manag. 2013; 26: 343-362
- Service-oriented architecture in medical software: promises and perils.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007; 14: 244-246
- Radiology IT needs to learn from Amazon.
- Orchestrating interoperability: one size does not fit all.(In. imagingBiz)
- Update in the evaluation of the solitary pulmonary nodule.Radiographics. 2014; 34: 1658-1679
- Inference and uncertainty in radiology.Acad Radiol. 2006; 13: 580-588
- Fleischner Society: glossary of terms for thoracic imaging.Radiology. 2008; 246: 697-722
- The radiology report–are we getting the message across?.Clin Radiol. 2011; 66: 1015-1022
- The art of the radiology report: practical and stylistic guidelines for perfecting the conveyance of imaging findings.Can Assoc Radiol J. 2016; 67: 318-321
- Fleischner society glossary of terms: infiltrates.Radiology. 2008; 248: 1083
- Glossary of terms for thoracic radiology: recommendations of the Nomenclature Committee of the Fleischner Society.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1984; 143: 509-517
- Is infiltrate a useful term in the interpretation of chest radiographs? Physician survey results.Radiology. 2005; 235: 5-8
- Outcome of recommendations for radiographic follow-up of pneumonia on outpatient chest radiography.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014; 202: 54-59
- Systemic error in radiology.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017; 209: 629-639
- Communication of doubt and certainty in radiological reports.Br J Radiol. 2000; 73: 999-1001
- The uncertainty of science and the science of uncertainty.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2010; 31: 1767-1768
- Radiology reports: what you think you're saying and what they think you're saying.Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2017; 46: 186-195
- On the logistics of interpretive radiology reporting: moving beyond procrustes.J Am Coll Radiol. 2009; 6: 544-546
- Pitfalls of the vague radiology report.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2000; 174: 1511-1518
- The dictated report and the radiologist's ethos. An inextricable relationship: pitfalls to avoid.Eur J Radiol. 2014; 83: 236-238
- How do referring clinicians want radiologists to report? Suggestions from the COVER survey.Insights Imaging. 2011; 2: 577-584
- Communication between general practitioners and radiologists: opinions, experience, promises, pitfalls.JBR-BTR: organe de la Societe royale belge de radiologie (SRBR) = orgaan van de Koninklijke Belgische Vereniging voor Radiologie (KBVR). 2014; 97: 325-330
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria. Suspected spine Trauma.
- The malpractice liability of radiology reports: minimizing the risk.Radiographics. 2015; 35: 547-554
- Add value in radiology reports by providing a frame of reference.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14: 585-586
- Lumbar MR imaging and reporting epidemiology: do epidemiologic data in reports affect clinical management?.Radiology. 2012; 262: 941-946
- ACR thyroid imaging, reporting and data system (TI-RADS): white paper of the ACR TI-RADS Committee.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14: 587-595
- Lung CT screening reporting and data system (Lung-RADS™).In:)
- CAD-RADS(TM) Coronary Artery Disease - Reporting and Data System. An expert consensus document of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (SCCT), the American College of Radiology (ACR) and the North American Society for Cardiovascular Imaging (NASCI). Endorsed by the American College of Cardiology.J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2016; 10: 269-281
- PI-RADS version 2: what you need to know.Clin Radiol. 2015; 70: 1165-1176
- CT colonography reporting and data system (C-RADS): benchmark values from a clinical screening program.Am J Roentgenol. 2014; 202: 1232-1237
- LI-RADS (Liver Imaging Reporting and Data System): summary, discussion, and consensus of the LI-RADS Management Working Group and future directions.Hepatology (Baltimore, Md). 2015; 61: 1056-1065
- Evaluating the completeness of RadLex in the chest radiography domain.Acad Radiol. 2013; 20: 1329-1333
- How sure are you, doctor? A standardized lexicon to describe the radiologist's level of certainty.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016; 207: 2-3
- Radiology reports: examining radiologist and clinician preferences regarding style and content.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001; 176: 591-598
- Breast imaging in the era of big data: structured reporting and data mining.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016; 206: 259-264
- Structured reporting: a tool to improve reimbursement.J Am Coll Radiol. 2017; 14: 662-664
- Improving communication of diagnostic radiology findings through structured reporting.Radiology. 2011; 260: 174-181
- Prepopulated radiology report templates: a prospective analysis of error rate and turnaround time.J Digit Imaging. 2012; 25: 504-511
- Communicating results of all radiologic examinations directly to patients: has the time come?.Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 189: 1275-1282
- ACR practice parameter for communication of diagnostic imaging findings.(In.)2014: 1-9
- ACR practice parameter for communication of diagnostic imaging findings.American College of Radiology, 2014: 1-9
- Actionable findings and the role of IT support: report of the ACR Actionable Reporting Work Group.J Am Coll Radiol. 2014; 11: 552-558
- Communication breakdowns and diagnostic errors: a radiology perspective.Diagnosis (Berlin, Germany). 2014; 1: 253-261
- Guidelines for Management of Small Pulmonary Nodules Detected on CT Scans: a statement from the Fleischner society.Radiology. 2005; 237: 395-400
- Guidelines for management of incidental pulmonary nodules detected on CT images: from the Fleischner society 2017.Radiology. 2017; 284: 228-243
- Radiologist compliance with institutional guidelines for use of nonroutine communication of diagnostic imaging results.J Am Coll Radiol. 2015; 12: 376-384
- Strategies for radiology reporting and communication. Part 1: challenges and heightened expectations.J Digit Imaging. 2013; 26: 610-613
- Medicolegal—malpractice and ethical issues in radiology.Am J Roentgenol. 2016; 207: W73
- Eight recommendations for policies for communicating abnormal test results.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf/Joint Comm Res. 2010; 36: 226-232
- Assigning responsibility to close the loop on radiology test results.Diagnosis (Berl). 2017; 4: 173-177
- The mathematical theory of communication.1949 (Urbana 1949)
Health care level 7 international. HL7 Version 2 Table 0078. http://hl7.org/fhir/v2/0078/index.html. Published April 19, 2017. In: FHIR Release 3, 2017.
Health care level 7 international. HL7 v3 Code System Observation Interpretation. https://www.hl7.org/fhir/v3/ObservationInterpretation/cs.html. Published April 19, 2017. In, 2017.
- Access to radiologic reports via a patient portal: clinical simulations to investigate patient preferences.J Am Coll Radiol. 2012; 9: 256-263
- Online portals: gateway to patient-centered radiology.Am J Roentgenol. 2017; : 1-5
- Access to radiology reports via an online patient portal: experiences of referring physicians and patients.J Am Coll Radiol. 2015; 12 (582-586.e581)
- Where failures occur in the imaging care cycle: lessons from the radiology events register.J Am Coll Radiol. 2010; 7: 593-602
- Lost: patients falling through radiology cracks.in: Society A.R.R. ARRS Los Angeles April 17–22, 2016. ARRS, Los Angeles2016
- The fate of radiology report recommendations at a pediatric medical center.Pediatr Radiol. 2017; 47: 1724-1729
Mabotuwana T, Hombal V, Dalal S, Hall CS, Gunn M. Determining adherence to follow-up imaging recommendations. J Am Coll Radiol; 15:422–428.
- When does a radiologist's recommendation for follow-up result in high-cost imaging?.Radiology. 2012; 262: 544-549
- Initial effectiveness of a monitoring system to correctly identify inappropriate lack of follow-up for abdominal imaging findings of possible cancer.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13 (1505-1508.e1502)
- Patient safety concerns arising from test results that return after hospital discharge.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 143: 121-128
- Communication outcomes of critical imaging results in a computerized notification system.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007; 14: 459-466
- “Chasing a ghost”: factors that influence primary care physicians to follow up on incidental imaging findings.Radiology. 2016; 281: 567-573
- Incidental findings on imaging: omit or provide recommendations.J Am Coll Radiol. 2016; 13: 1170
- Key principles in quality and safety in radiology.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017; 208: W101-w109
- Impact of communication errors in radiology on patient care, customer satisfaction, and work-flow efficiency.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016; 206: 573-579
☆None of the authors have any disclosures and no IRB approval was required.