- •101 patients underwent endorectal multiparametric prostate MR imaging prior to radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer
- •Extracapsular extension was found at histopathological review in 27 patients
- •Tumor capsular contact length of 18 to 24 mm or more should be regarded as highly suggestive of extracapsular extension.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging for local staging of prostate cancer: a diagnostic meta-analysis.Eur Urol. 2016; 70: 233-245
- Prostate carcinoma: assessment of diagnostic criteria for capsular penetration on endorectal coil MR images.Radiology. 1994; 193: 333-339
- Detection of extracapsular extension of prostate carcinoma with endorectal and phased-array coil MR imaging: multivariate feature analysis.Radiology. 1997; 202: 697-702
- European Society of Urogenital Radiology. ESUR prostate MR guidelines 2012.Eur Radiol. 2012; 22: 746-757
- PI-RADS prostate imaging — reporting and data system: 2015, version 2.Eur Urol. 2016; 69: 16-40
- Predictive value of magnetic resonance imaging determined tumor contact length for extracapsular extension of prostate cancer.J Urol. 2015; 193: 466-472
- Length of capsular contact for diagnosing extraprostatic extension on prostate MRI: assessment at an optimal threshold.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2016; 43: 990-997
- Tumor contact with prostate capsule on magnetic resonance imaging: a potential biomarker for staging and prognosis.Urol Oncol. 2016 Aug 24; 35: 30.e1-30.e8
- Prostate cancer with a pseudocapsule at MR imaging: a marker of high grade and stage disease?.Clin Imaging. 2016; 40: 365-369
- Clinical utility of endorectal MRI-guided prostate biopsy: preliminary experience.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2014; 40: 314-323
- Magnetic resonance imaging/ultrasound-fusion biopsy significantly upgrades prostate cancer versus systematic 12-core transrectal ultrasound biopsy.Eur Urol. 2013; 64: 713-719
- Prospective study of diagnostic accuracy comparing prostate cancer detection by transrectal ultrasound-guided biopsy versus magnetic resonance (MR) imaging with subsequent MR-guided biopsy in men without previous prostate biopsies.Eur Urol. 2014; 66: 22-29
- Extraprostatic spread of clinically localized prostate cancer: factors predictive of pT3 tumor and of positive endorectal MR imaging examination results.Radiology. 2002; 224: 203-210
- International Society of Urological Pathology (ISUP) consensus conference on handling and staging of radical prostatectomy specimens. Working group 3: extraprostatic extension, lymphovascular invasion and locally advanced disease.Mod Pathol. 2011; 24: 26-38
- Local staging of prostate cancer with endorectal MR imaging: correlation with histopathology.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996; 166: 845-852
- Endorectal MRI of prostate cancer: incremental prognostic importance of gross locally advanced disease.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011; 197: 1369-1374
- European organisation for research and treatment of cancer radiotherapy and genito-urinary cancer groups. Impact of pathology review of stage and margin status of radical prostatectomy specimens (EORTC trial 22911).Virchows Arch. 2006; 449: 428-434
- Interobserver variability between expert urologic pathologists for extraprostatic extension and surgical margin status in radical prostatectomy specimens.Am J Surg Pathol. 2008; 32: 1503-1512
- Per-sextant localization and staging of prostate cancer: correlation of imaging findings with whole-mount step section histopathology.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 188: 84-90
- Prostate cancer: comparison of local staging accuracy of pelvic phased-array coil alone versus integrated endorectal-pelvic phased-array coils. Local staging accuracy of prostate cancer using endorectal coil MR imaging.Eur Radiol. 2007; 17: 1055-1065
- Comparison of endorectal coil and nonendorectal coil T2W and diffusion-weighted MRI at 3 tesla for localizing prostate cancer: correlation with whole-mount histopathology.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2014; 39: 1443-1448
- Endorectal multiparametric MRI of the prostate: incremental effect of perfusion imaging on biopsy target identification.Clin Imaging. 2016; 40: 553-557
☆This study was a retrospective analysis approved by our institutional review board.